Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Why is he so popular? I find him annoying and boring. I don't find him the least bit funny and his movies are among the worst I have watched. All this, and so many people I know think he's the greatest!

My opinion is, of course, my opinion. What's yours? Am I the odd man out?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
My opinion is he is totally unfunny and his movies are childish.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What is the purpose of this thread? To bash adam sandler or to have a discusion about him? Oh wait, thats the same thing :D

You say he acts like an idiot, but thats what his roles require. I say a job well done.

SheepStar

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Hahaha, I'm not trying to bash, I'm just trying to figure out why he's so popular. Maybe it's just that kind of humor doesn't strike me as funny, just idiotic. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
His humor IS childish most of the time, but that's funny sometimes. I don't like all of his movies, but a few are pretty darn funny.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I am OK with him...not my fav but just ok...I think he only accepts foolish and a bit idiotic characters. However, IMO, he is still better than Jim Carey. I don't like his over-acted characters. Dunno...may be it's just me.:p

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
They only Sandler movie I ever liked was Happy Gilmore... plus it's in DTS!

M

Methost

Full Audioholic
Happy Gilmore is a true classic.

I generally like his movies. They are great for when you want to watch a film with the kids (older kids) or if you are in the mood for something light.

They fill a good niche in my movie diet.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Ho said:
Why is he so popular? I find him annoying and boring. I don't find him the least bit funny and his movies are among the worst I have watched.
I agree with you...almost entirely. For the most part he does dumb humor. I still think it's hilarious though when he punches out Bob Barker on the green (or rather, when Bob Barker punches him out). In retrospect, maybe what I found funny was Bob Barker shadowboxing on the green and knocking Adam Sandler's block off!

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
Methost said:
Happy Gilmore is a true classic.
I think Happy Gilmore was pretty much the best movie he has done. Then most of his stuff I found too childish or weird. Finally in The Longest Yard I saw some of that witty comedy that I loved so much in Happy Gilmore starting to shine through again, especially when talking to the two police officers while drinking in the stolen car.

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
Adam Sandler, and the moron in Elf for that matter, are popular because they are communicating on the general level of the current demographic of movie-goers. Intellectual comedy is simply not tollerated or enjoyed by this group. It takes a thought process that they either lack, or are unwilling to use. Sorry, but that's how I see it. It is a very sad commentary on our society as it tries to move forward during these challenging times.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't call it a sad commentary on society, but intelectual comedy simply isn't for the masses and it never has been, nor will it ever be. Along the lines of what you said, Adam Sandler, and Will Ferrell are simply trying to make the audience laugh, not necessarily think hard. There is always some redeeming value exemplified in these movies, so it is not like they are without purpose, though it IS a bit "dumbed down" and not something like political satire. Just as I said in the Waiting thread, there's nothing wrong with a little "stupid" funny now and then.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I think the guy is so pathetic and talentless as to be physically painful to watch. I'd rather watch paint dry for 90 minutes than sit through one of his dreadful movies.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Rob Babcock said:
I think the guy is so pathetic and talentless as to be physically painful to watch. I'd rather watch paint dry for 90 minutes than sit through one of his dreadful movies.
Paint won't dry in 90 minutes.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sheep said:
Paint won't dry in 90 minutes.

SheepStar
But you will have that light, happy feeling after 90 minutes of sitting in a room with wet paint...:p

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Wow, talk about hijacking a thread eh? I'm bad at that.

Solvent paint will soo eff you up after 90 minutes. I spent like 15 with a chemical cleaner at an old job and I needed a 15 minute break.

SheepStar

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
whether or not youre intellectual has no relation to whether or not you find **** jokes funny. The writers of these shows and movies are usually pretty smart.

adam sandler is a funny guy, but his movies have been getting more and more unfunny.

i did like punch drunk love though. happy gilmore and billy madison were classics.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis