Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
There are no tests confirming that caloric timing or meal frequency having anything to do with body composition ...
I thought that there was something to keeping your blood sugar level on a pretty even keel with meal frequency, caloric composition and fiber that kept your insulin level from spiking and converting everything to fat. :confused:

You must know people that have been thin all their lives. Well that's no accident; watch what they do, and what they eat, talk to them. Follow the habits of thin people.
I am a thin person ... on the inside you insensitive monster !!! :mad: :D

Actually up until I gave up boozing and smoking ... :rolleyes:

And cut the Ice Cream after Twister...
I suppose we could take walks ... but no hand holding so don't bother asking. :p

Seriously I've given up the really bad ice cream, carrot cake, cookie combo washed down with huge glasses of milk as a dessert solution for 1/2 a pound bacon and 1/2 a dozen egg breakfasts after the cholesterol scare last spring. I always ate good bread though. :D

I'm going for a walk and then I'm gonna think real hard about what I'm going to eat and how much. I have absolutely no faith that I can match what itschris has done in a little over a month but I sure as sh!t ain't gonna let him make me look bad.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Good post Fenix, I agree with everything in your post except the quoted parts. Its the audioholics equivalent to bi-wiring. There are no tests confirming that caloric timing or meal frequency having anything to do with body composition, which is far more important than just losing weight.
There's actually very good theoretical evidence for both of those suggestions. Eating breakfast (anything really, doesn't have to be fruit) provides a stimulus that transitions your body into the fed state. This boosts the basal metabolic rate, promoting anabolic reactions that utilize significant amounts of energy.

The idea behind eating many small meals is to keep the body in a quasi-fasting state. This keeps insulin levels low and glucagon levels high, enhancing the mobilization of fat without impairing the body's ability to undergo anabolism.

EDIT: Alex, your thoughts in the above post are on the right track

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
There's actually very good theoretical evidence for both of those suggestions. Eating breakfast (anything really, doesn't have to be fruit) provides a stimulus that transitions your body into the fed state. This boosts the basal metabolic rate, promoting anabolic reactions that utilize significant amounts of energy.

The idea behind eating many small meals is to keep the body in a quasi-fasting state. This keeps insulin levels low and glucagon levels high, enhancing the mobilization of fat without impairing the body's ability to undergo anabolism.

EDIT: Alex, your thoughts in the above post are on the right track
You show me evidence, and I'll show evidence to the contrary. Agree to disagree in this case I suppose. The biggest (and IMO) the only advantage to smaller, more frequent meals is that appetite is more easily controlled.

Timing meals CAN play a small part when incorporating resistance training to a very very tiny degree. The body won't burn fat in the presence of insulin, yes, but it also won't build muscle. Your body naturally controls these functions based on other factors beyond just when you eat.

Like I said, its kinda like the biwiring thing, is there a difference, yes, audible, no. Is there a difference in how you time meals, yes, does it make any difference in overall body composition, no.

Chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink, lsiberian

EDIT: Perhaps if you were gunning for sub 6% body fat, then we could talk more seriously about meal frequency. Completely different conversation of sorts.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I thought that there was something to keeping your blood sugar level on a pretty even keel with meal frequency, caloric composition and fiber that kept your insulin level from spiking and converting everything to fat. :confused:
It can only be converted to fat if you have a calorie surplus, in which case EVERY calorie must be converted to either fat or muscle (for all intents and purposes). If you're trying to lose weight, you shouldn't be in a surplus.

Its simple,

calories in > calories used = gain weight
calories in = calories used = maintain weight
calories in < calories used = lose weight

Seriously, end of story. :p

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Alright, I'm gonna grab a beer and hit the weights... :D

Matt34

Matt34

I do think the six meal plan (three-point approach: eat breakfast within one hour of rising, eat every three hours, and stop eating three hours before bedtime) helps ritualize our eating habbits by increasing BMR, increases energy levels, and decreases appetite, among other things. It is pretty well agreed on that missed meals and irregular eating habits are the downfall of many. I think the six meal plan just makes losing weight easier for most as the time between meals isn't as long.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I do think the six meal plan (three-point approach: eat breakfast within one hour of rising, eat every three hours, and stop eating three hours before bedtime) helps ritualize our eating habbits by increasing BMR, increases energy levels, and decreases appetite, among other things. It is pretty well agreed on that missed meals and irregular eating habits are the downfall of many. I think the six meal plan just makes losing weight easier for most as the time between meals isn't as long.
I agree with all of that except the BMR and energy part. BMR is ONLY controlled by age, sex, and body composition. Unless you eat two big meals a week and thats all, your metabolism won't slow down by infrequent eating.

No doubt that it helps with appetite and could make things easier, just not from an "efficiency" standpoint. For some, its actually harder to find the time to eat six times or so and many people quit with that approach.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The best way to burn fat, in my experience, is to lift weights. As my muscle mass went up, my body also got leaner. I train 3x a week, using only strength training movements such as squats, deadlifts, rows, farmers walks.... and a lot of random things like pulling sleads with heavy stuff on them. I'll fill up buckets with water and carry them. I prefer to train very simple: Pickup heavy stuff correctly. The health magazines are absolute garbage, but there are a few books I'd recommend if you become interested.

For a bit I wanted to become a powerlifter, and I started 'bulking' (eating in excess of 5,000 calories a day, highly protein based). It is accepted that you gain some fat with the muscle mass, and I did, but when I stopped building, my weight dropped even more plus I had added muscle. Reverse diet, huh?

I do basically no 'machine' cardio. That's mind numbing, and a waste of your life. Exercise washing and waxing your car, rewiring your stereo, doing housework, something productive where you can break a sweat that you can find some enjoyment or therapy in. Being healthy is as much of a metal thing as anything else.

Diet is very important also, but I have never been a perfect eater, even at my greatest. Mostly I nixed the obvious junk, like french fries and sweets. Initially this might seem hard, but pretty quickly I lost my taste for those things and they just became sort of 'gross.' The one thing you have to really slow down on is alcohol, it is extremely fattening.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I looked this up on some of the resources that my medical school provides and basically there is a good theoretical basis (much unlike biwiring) for manipulating meal frequency but it's difficult to show in practice. There hasn't been a study that acceptably controls for reporting errors and other influences on weight loss. There's a good amount of anecdotal evidence and enough scientific basis for further research into meal frequency's effect on weight loss. Current research shows that circadian rhythm has little effect on weight loss, however.

Adwilk, there are a number of biochemical regulators of BMR. Thyroid hormone is the major one, and this is scientifically documented in both theory and practice. Look up hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism for more information.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The one thing you have to really slow down on is alcohol, it is extremely fattening.
This is ridiculous. I don't drink! I must sound like I'm half in the bag when I post. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's right, I have been in full control of my faculties for each and every post that I have ever made. Not so much as even a contact high. I'm starting to develop a complex over here. Matter of fact I have had one of the mods flat out ask me how much I had had to drink one time. Sheesh! :D

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
This is ridiculous. I don't drink! I must sound like I'm half in the bag when I post. :rolleyes:

Yes, that's right, I have been in full control of my faculties for each and every post that I have ever made. Not so much as even a contact high. I'm starting to develop a complex over here. Matter of fact I have had one of the mods flat out ask me how much I had had to drink one time. Sheesh! :D
Nah

I wasn't saying you did drink, I was saying if you do you it is something to cut down on if you want to loose weight. The problem with booze is that it has to be processed in your body before anything else, so with a meal it can really disrupt and cause extra fat to be stored.

You really think someone named "MidnightSensi" is going to judge you? ;)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
All this talk of drinking makes me thirsty:D Just an hour every other day of exercise, will make a world of difference.

edit: what kills me,aside from beer, is all the cream... in coffee, sauces, ect

innuendo

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Its simple,

And there it is...
Finally, someone cut through all the BS :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The best way to burn fat, in my experience, is to lift weights. As my muscle mass went up, my body also got leaner. I train 3x a week, using only strength training movements such as squats, deadlifts, rows, farmers walks.... and a lot of random things like pulling sleads with heavy stuff on them. I'll fill up buckets with water and carry them. I prefer to train very simple: Pickup heavy stuff correctly. The health magazines are absolute garbage, but there are a few books I'd recommend if you become interested.

For a bit I wanted to become a powerlifter, and I started 'bulking' (eating in excess of 5,000 calories a day, highly protein based). It is accepted that you gain some fat with the muscle mass, and I did, but when I stopped building, my weight dropped even more plus I had added muscle. Reverse diet, huh?

I do basically no 'machine' cardio. That's mind numbing, and a waste of your life. Exercise washing and waxing your car, rewiring your stereo, doing housework, something productive where you can break a sweat that you can find some enjoyment or therapy in. Being healthy is as much of a metal thing as anything else.

Diet is very important also, but I have never been a perfect eater, even at my greatest. Mostly I nixed the obvious junk, like french fries and sweets. Initially this might seem hard, but pretty quickly I lost my taste for those things and they just became sort of 'gross.' The one thing you have to really slow down on is alcohol, it is extremely fattening.
Cardio is probably the most important exercise a person can do and can be done watching TV(so even lazy people can do it.)

Nothing wrong with strength training and for this nothing is better than push-ups and pull-ups. Make sure you give yourself plenty of recovery time. It's during recovery that your muscles actually grow. If you want to do weights a pair of dumbbells is the most useful thing out there.

Very Good Resource

I suggest you read their literature. They are medical experts.
Do get a physical if you can swing the cash.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It can only be converted to fat if you have a calorie surplus, in which case EVERY calorie must be converted to either fat or muscle (for all intents and purposes). If you're trying to lose weight, you shouldn't be in a surplus.

Its simple,

I think the goal here has to be fitness and health not weight. Judge yourself by how you feel not how you look. I know plenty of skinny people that get tired walking around Walmart for an hour.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
You really think someone named "MidnightSensi" is going to judge you? ;)
Point taken. Now that I think about it you never sound stoned. It must be the good punctuation. ;)

Anyway, 273lbs this AM. Coffee with a couple of Splenda and lowfat milk insted of sugar/honey and Half & Half.

It's not quite as simple as calories in < calories out. You take in the wrong calories and you won't have the energy to burn the calories or you'll end up storing fat and burning muscle and going into some sort of neurochemical imbalance that makes you crazy as a loon who plays golf in lightening storms and has two sets of speakers in half the rooms in his house. :p

I think breakfast is gonna be 6 eggs with 5 yolks yanked out (Tom Andry tip) scrambled with like 1/2 a pepper and 1/2 an onion sauteed in olive oil. One piece of 12 grain bread. But that's later.

I'd love another cup of coffee but that Oz-prah thing Rick linked talked about unfiltered coffee and - whoa, bad source. My Controlling Cholesterol For Dummies book said that the American Heart Assc. had issues with that. I know Andrew provided a link saying that coffee was good for ya so I'll ride the fence and try just having one good cup.

I just ate the aforementioned concoction ... with a tomato ... and the pepper part was like a bit of red, green and yellow with a jalapeno thrown in for good measure with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I'm going to take a nap.

j/k. a light stretch, maybe a 2minute 30 second work out and out the door.

EDIT: all to the backdrop of a some Beethoven sonatas. (No.9 and No.2)

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
If you don't live too far from your work, why not bike to work. I live ~ 20 miles and ride from Mar - Nov sometimes later. But, you can save some gas, get some more exercise and lose weight at the same time.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Eating healthy will kill you....jk. You'll still need to get off your a$$...:D

Matt34

Matt34

If you don't live too far from your work, why not bike to work. I live ~ 20 miles and ride from Mar - Nov sometimes later. But, you can save some gas, get some more exercise and lose weight at the same time.

I really wish I could do this as I have a 17 mile commute one way but it's mostly highway and usually dark when I come in/drive home.

itschris

itschris

There's something to be said about the type of activity you do and the amount of TOTAL calories burned. Longer duration, moderate cardio for an hour will certainly burn more calories in that hour than doing 20 minutes of intense, more anarobic activity. However, anarobic activity elevates your matabolism higher and slopes off much more gradual... up to 6-8 hours based on some research. So, overall...over the course of hours, you'll actually burn more calories. That's why weightlifting is also key to weightloss and permanent weight loss because it has a tendancy to highly benefit your metabolism both short and long term burning more overall calories. The more lean muscle mass you have, the more efficient your calorie burning becomes. With cardio, it's important to do both kinds, moderate for longer periods and intense for shorter periods (i.e., something like inervals that really make you go balls out)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis