Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
It looks like tons of really good advice in this thread. Especially no ice cream during, or after Twister.:D

One caveat; don't confuse being physically fit, with being the proper weight.
For example, my grandmother is the proper weight for her height, though she is not physically fit.
While being both would be perfect, it's more complicated and more prone to failure for someone just starting out to maintain all that.
It takes plenty of willpower and dedication to maintain a regular exercise program; it doesn't take much to make better choices while doing the grocery shopping.

Some small permanent life style changes go a long way.
Get skim milk instead of whole milk, eat only whole grains, no enriched flour, no hydrogenated oil, brown rice instead of white.

Most prepackaged food is poo.
The first few ingredients shouldn't have enriched flour, hydrogenated oil or fat, high-fructose corn syrup or simple sugar, or salt.
Good Luck! And I will stop beating a dead horse.:)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you lose too much weight I can't refer to you as my FF friend...

Bottom line is you have to make a lifestyle change that works for you. I find it easy to go to the gym for the most part. I look at it as a way to relieve stress vs. killing someone. I have one simple rule that keeps me in the gym. All I have to do is 'walk in' on scheduled workout days. If I don't feel like lifting once I get there, I can turn around and leave. I have never left without working out. Making yourself get there is the hard part and this rule eliminates that.

During the winter, I don't watch my diet very much. I just make sure I eat plenty of protein and always start the day with a good breakfast and eat at least 5 times a day (2 meals are protein shakes and 1 cup of oatmeal).

Beginning around March, I drop all processed foods and move up to a minimum of 6 meals a day. I also jack up the intensity of my weight lifting. By May, I will always be about 10lbs heavier but much leaner than in the winter.

I hate cardio so all I do is walk with the wife about 3 days a week. It is a good time for us to be together and talk. I'm sure this burns a few calories but nothing like the whole foods and gym time.

Just find something that works for you and make it simple. Learn about whole foods, don't skip meals and be active.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I really wish I could do this as I have a 17 mile commute one way but it's mostly highway and usually dark when I come in/drive home.
You can get good bike lights, find a safer route. Many people will drive their car in and then bike home, then bike in and drive home until they can work up the stamina. check out bikeforums.net they have many great resources for this. Great way to get exercise.

Matt34

Matt34

You can get good bike lights, find a safer route. Many people will drive their car in and then bike home, then bike in and drive home until they can work up the stamina. check out bikeforums.net they have many great resources for this. Great way to get exercise.
There is no other route; we're talking southern Arizona where the infrastructure isn't so great and the speed limit is considered a suggestion:p. It's either the highway or across the desert.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
This link is kinda unrelated, but pretty interesting.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdworld/2007/11/super_mice_that_can_run_a_5k_a.html

The enzyme that these mouse have over-expressed is heavily involved in energy production as the sugar stores are depleted. The article says that Lance Armstrong has an abnormally high level of this enzyme, giving him much more endurance than us normal humans. It could partially explain why some people can eat anything and not get fat.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
This link is kinda unrelated, but pretty interesting.

http://blog.cleveland.com/pdworld/2007/11/super_mice_that_can_run_a_5k_a.html

The enzyme that these mouse have over-expressed is heavily involved in energy production as the sugar stores are depleted. The article says that Lance Armstrong has an abnormally high level of this enzyme, giving him much more endurance than us normal humans. It could partially explain why some people can eat anything and not get fat.
Absolutely fascinating. I want to order some of that PEPCK-C stuff. :cool:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I hate cardio so all I do is walk with the wife about 3 days a week. It is a good time for us to be together and talk. I'm sure this burns a few calories but nothing like the whole foods and gym time.
A Rower is one of my favorite machines. I can't stand anything else though lol.

Nothing like doing strength training though. I suppose if I wasn't fully scheduled I'd do more of it.

Ironically my motivation was from my hate of walking up the stairs with groceries. There is nothing like making one trip up the steps.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Cardio is probably the most important exercise a person can do and can be done watching TV(so even lazy people can do it.)

Nothing wrong with strength training and for this nothing is better than push-ups and pull-ups. Make sure you give yourself plenty of recovery time. It's during recovery that your muscles actually grow. If you want to do weights a pair of dumbbells is the most useful thing out there.

Very Good Resource

I suggest you read their literature. They are medical experts.
Do get a physical if you can swing the cash.
I'm not a fan of TV, so, maybe that is where we differ. I like movies and music, but, watching mind-numbing TV inside is painful to me.

I'm pretty familiar with training, recovery, and how different diets and regimens influence that - not an expert, but, as someone who has put the chaulk on my hands I've learned a few things from people who are better lifters than I am....and through lifters I've talked to my fair share of doctors, trainers, from all walks of sports.

Cardio is often confused with aerobic fitness or endurance. Aerobic/endurance fitness relates directly to the efficient of oxidative metabolism and is not the same as cardiorespiratory fitness (a healthy heart and lungs). Aerobic fitness like running burns calories, but it does for that time period. The advantage of lifting is the muscle gained lets you burn more ALL the time. As far as health, in the practical sense, when lifting weight, the cardiovascular system is stressed. One of the first is that the contracting muscles compress the blood vessels in those muscles and increase their reistance to flow. This increases blood pressure. This places load on the heart, which over time strengthens it like any other muscle, and it adapts by increasing the thickness of the muscular walls and the increased muscle mass of the heart makes it deliver blood more efficiently. It needs to, because as muscle mass increases.

Anyways...

My arguement isn't that running on a treadmil or something is bad, it's just that it is mentally and physically expensive for what the opportunity costs are (in my opinion). For a busy life, to burn 300 calories running every day gets to be inefficient. To train for an hour three times a week, using basic exercises that work the body as a system, gives you some calorie burning, but also the added strength and muscle mass that helps in regular life. For being more 'active,' doing (to use the venacular) cardio could be doing something fun like washing a car, having wild sex if possible, cleaning, tinkering, moving speakers, or whatever.

Eating 'decently' (shoot for a 40/40/20 diet, protein/carbs/fats ... good fats like natural peanut butter or roasted almonds, not bad fats), but normally (not fretting having a cheeseburger and a beer with your friends, just don't have a cheeseburger, cheesefries, 12 beers and a fudge sunday), and working out (HARD) three times a week for an hour (or whatever program you decide, just keep it simple - simple not to be confused with easy... simple in weightlifting is the hardest), and being active in normal life is, in my opinion, the best way.

For my buddy, I'd recommend starting with working on the low hanging fruit. Cut out garbage food, and starting making the obvious choices. Go for a walk, try to be more active, and see how it goes. As it was said earlier, this is going to be a lifestyle change. So no starving, no radical or not-maintainable ideas.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Fantastic post, sensi....

I definitely agree with your take on cardio and the like. Good stuff.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not a fan of TV, so, maybe that is where we differ. I like movies and music, but, watching mind-numbing TV inside is painful to me.

I'm pretty familiar with training, recovery, and how different diets and regimens influence that - not an expert, but, as someone who has put the chaulk on my hands I've learned a few things from people who are better lifters than I am....and through lifters I've talked to my fair share of doctors, trainers, from all walks of sports.

Cardio is often confused with aerobic fitness or endurance. Aerobic/endurance fitness relates directly to the efficient of oxidative metabolism and is not the same as cardiorespiratory fitness (a healthy heart and lungs). Aerobic fitness like running burns calories, but it does for that time period. The advantage of lifting is the muscle gained lets you burn more ALL the time. As far as health, in the practical sense, when lifting weight, the cardiovascular system is stressed. One of the first is that the contracting muscles compress the blood vessels in those muscles and increase their reistance to flow. This increases blood pressure. This places load on the heart, which over time strengthens it like any other muscle, and it adapts by increasing the thickness of the muscular walls and the increased muscle mass of the heart makes it deliver blood more efficiently. It needs to, because as muscle mass increases.

Anyways...

My arguement isn't that running on a treadmil or something is bad, it's just that it is mentally and physically expensive for what the opportunity costs are (in my opinion). For a busy life, to burn 300 calories running every day gets to be inefficient. To train for an hour three times a week, using basic exercises that work the body as a system, gives you some calorie burning, but also the added strength and muscle mass that helps in regular life. For being more 'active,' doing (to use the venacular) cardio could be doing something fun like washing a car, having wild sex if possible, cleaning, tinkering, moving speakers, or whatever.

Eating 'decently' (shoot for a 40/40/20 diet, protein/carbs/fats ... good fats like natural peanut butter or roasted almonds, not bad fats), but normally (not fretting having a cheeseburger and a beer with your friends, just don't have a cheeseburger, cheesefries, 12 beers and a fudge sunday), and working out (HARD) three times a week for an hour (or whatever program you decide, just keep it simple - simple not to be confused with easy... simple in weightlifting is the hardest), and being active in normal life is, in my opinion, the best way.

For my buddy, I'd recommend starting with working on the low hanging fruit. Cut out garbage food, and starting making the obvious choices. Go for a walk, try to be more active, and see how it goes. As it was said earlier, this is going to be a lifestyle change. So no starving, no radical or not-maintainable ideas.
Bingo!:D

Nice....

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... working out (HARD) three times a week for an hour ...
LOL! I just had to laugh. :)

At my age it's not easy maintaining a boner for an hour while doing jumping jacks. :D

EDIT: How about I just go for another walk after dinner? I'm really not in the mood for erecto-work out.

Last edited:
adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Today's Crossfit Workout....

This is tough for anybody who gets ambitious.

Five rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
30 Box jump, 24 inch box
30 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Haha.

I was in a time crunch typing that, so, I didn't proof read and catch grammar errors and sexual innuendo.

Have a nice walk.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Just a tad over 275 today. Yesterday I had itschris shaking in his boots. He can rest easy today ... but watch out tomorrow. I'm gonna ramp up the workout to a full 3 minutes and then I'll have him on the run. :D

Seriously, I'm kinda sore from a few push-ups and either the walking or stretching. I figure I better stick with it though because the last time I went back to real work, I was coming home and laying down in a tub full of cold water and taking ibuprofen to reduce a head to toe body ache.

I suppose stopping to get frozen yogurt on the way home from my walk and a cheese and pepperoni midnight snack wasn't sticking with the program. What does Dr. Oz-prah have to say about that, huh? :D

I know, I'm not gonna be laughing when I hit 276 lbs. :rolleyes:
Hey, it's only day 3. This just might not get done by the weekend. ;)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
LOL! I just had to laugh. :)

At my age it's not easy maintaining a boner for an hour while doing jumping jacks. :D

EDIT: How about I just go for another walk after dinner? I'm really not in the mood for erecto-work out.
That's where the wild twister sex comes in.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Just FYI for anybody that's interested, bodybuilding.com has tons of great info and a huge forum with lots of good stuff. I've been a member over there for a while and there's some decent stuff.

Today's workout (for time)
5 rounds
50 Pushups
100 Bicycles
25 squat+deep swimmer's press (30lb dumbbells)

If anybody thinks that cardio is necessary after that, you need to piss in a cup. I'm beat.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Bodybuilders creep me out.

Maybe it is the thongs... maybe its the fake tanner.... maybe its the overuse of steroids (hey, Arnold used some roids, but these guys are on a whole new level of freakiness).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis