adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I follow only 3 rules.

Workout 3 times a week with some kind of weight
1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass daily
Eat at a deficit

I eat pretty much any kind of foods I want. I used to follow some strict rules eating 6 times a day, no white bread, only whole foods, blah blah blah. Sure it worked, but it sucked. Life is too short not to enjoy eating when its something you really love. If there were some secret combination to eating the right foods at the right time to control the LB's then mankind would have died out a long time ago. The only thing that matters when losing weight is that you take in less calories than you need each day. I typically eat a huge lunch somewhere ie; chinese buffet or whatever and probably a protein shake later in the day. I know as long as I take in less than 2500 calories or so, I'll lose weight. As long as I get some protein and work with some weight, know that weight lost won't be lean mass.

Losing weight requires some discipline, but it doesn't have to be torture. I've spent the last couple years trying things both ways, and can tell no difference between the so called diets, and just eating a little less of what I love.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you do physical activity that you love, it'll be so much easier. I can't stand running, walking, lifting, or biking, but I love playing racquetball. Keeps me in shape and I have a great time with my friends.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If you do physical activity that you love, it'll be so much easier. I can't stand running, walking, lifting, or biking, but I love playing racquetball. Keeps me in shape and I have a great time with my friends.
Twister!?!

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
One thing to remember is to keep your workouts varied. It gets boring doing the same thing every day and your body will actually optimize itself to what you're consistently doing- this makes it harder to lose weight after you've accommodated. What I like doing is combining weight lifting and cardio. Lift a bit first (lighter weights and more reps are better for developing tone and losing weight) and then walk/run/elliptical for a bit. I liked how it broke the workout up and let me do more of what I felt like.

Since your knees are bad, biking, elliptical and swimming are probably your best bets. Treadmills are really hard on your knees, so try to find a track or somewhere outside if you want to run/walk. Concrete's tough on them too, so you can run on the grass if they get sore (actually works pretty well for me).

Good Luck!

J

James NM

Audioholic
Damn gmichael!

So much for loosing weight.

I think I put on 3lbs just reading you recipes for chili and meat loaf.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
A bit more seriously, I think joining an exercise activity that is more social can lead to consistency. Some sort of club. Ping pong club. Softball league, basketball league. Bike club. Whether road or mountain biking. Some sort of martial arts club, I know here there is one local to me that spars with those bamboo swords or whatever. Roller derby. Etc. Alex seems to be pretty sociable.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
Well, there are tons of routes you can take. The only question is which one works best for you, and that you will enjoy.

Personally I am all about the math, as long as I burn more calories than I take in, then I'm good (although I have not been doing that lately :eek:). I want to eat whatever I feel like.

So, anyways...here's some things that I have heard and have read in various places that perhaps may help you out (who knows, maybe you have read them as well).

- Eat fruit in the morning. Supposedly it will help jump start your matabolism first thing.

- Eat smaller meals more often through the day. Supposed to keep your matabolism going throughout the day, instead of fluctuating as you eat 3 big meals

- When lifting weights, start off with about 5 min of cardio to get your heart rate elevated, then as you're lifting try to keep it elevated (only take maybe 30 sec breaks between sets, or have another machine close by and rotate back and forth each set)

- Swimming is the best cardio you can do (or so says my swim coach from High School, which I find believable) so if possible get in the pool and do laps for 30 min or so. It will also help you with your lung capacity as well.

I'm sure I have some other ideas that I can share, just can't think of them at the moment.

Matt34

Matt34

If gyms aren't your thing get a copy of the P90x workout, it will make you barf the first couple times(or weeks) but it will get your butt in shape.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
- Eat fruit in the morning. Supposedly it will help jump start your matabolism first thing.

- Eat smaller meals more often through the day. Supposed to keep your matabolism going throughout the day, instead of fluctuating as you eat 3 big meals
Good post Fenix, I agree with everything in your post except the quoted parts. Its the audioholics equivalent to bi-wiring. There are no tests confirming that caloric timing or meal frequency having anything to do with body composition, which is far more important than just losing weight.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If gyms aren't your thing get a copy of the P90x workout, it will make you barf the first couple times(or weeks) but it will get your butt in shape.
I completely agree. A lot of the beachbody programs are pretty solid. If "x" is too extreme for ya (it is pretty tough) there is the power90 program or 10 minute trainer that might be fairly beneficial. Don't let 10 minute trainer fool you either, a lot of my self-proclaimed "fit" buddies couldn't complete one of the routines without a break.

I decided to try "Insanity". Holy efff.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
It all comes down to....

MOTIVATION

and

ACCOUNTABILITY

No matter how good a plan/routine you have, it won't make a hill of beans uless you do it!

Matt34

Matt34

I completely agree. A lot of the beachbody programs are pretty solid. If "x" is too extreme for ya (it is pretty tough) there is the power90 program or 10 minute trainer that might be fairly beneficial. Don't let 10 minute trainer fool you either, a lot of my self-proclaimed "fit" buddies couldn't complete one of the routines without a break.

I decided to try "Insanity". Holy efff.
Crossfit is another program that is popular with military folks.

I stay in pretty good shape and first few times I did P90x it broke me off.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Crossfit is another program that is popular with military folks.

I stay in pretty good shape and first few times I did P90x it broke me off.
Crossfit is probably hands down the most comprehensive workout to getting in exceptional shape on the planet. No doubt. I almost can't recommend it to anybody thats not decently fit already. Its too easy to quit. Its extremely difficult and incredibly effective. The upside is that its free and available to anybody.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think of a version of the comedian Sam Kinison's quote when the subject of weight lose comes up. (see the cut & paste below):)
Sam Kinison:
"It occurred to me that there wouldn’t be world hunger, if you people would just... LIVE WHERE THE FOOD IS!
YOU LIVE IN A DESERT! YOU LIVE IN A F**KING DESERT!
NOTHING GROWS OUT HERE! NOTHING’S GONNA GROW OUT HERE! YOU SEE THIS? HUH? THIS IS SAND.
KNOW WHAT IT’S GONNA BE A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW? IT’S GONNA BE SAND! YOU LIVE IN A F–KING DESERT! WE’LL TAKE YOU TO WHERE THE FOOD IS! WE HAVE DESERTS IN AMERICA — WE JUST DON’T LIVE IN THEM"

It's similar with weight loss. Do what thin people do! (I know, it's over simplified, but):)
You must know people that have been thin all their lives. Well that's no accident; watch what they do, and what they eat, talk to them. Follow the habits of thin people.

It has to be a lifestyle change, diets don't work, they are temporary fixes. Who could maintain the Adkins diet for the rest of their lives?

And cut the Ice Cream after Twister...

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
You must know people that have been thin all their lives. Well that's no accident; watch what they do, and what they eat, talk to them. Follow the habits of thin people.
Some people are just pre-disposed to be thin.

I am 6' tall and roughly 160 lbs and my weight never varies by more than a few pounds plus or minus from that number. I don't have any advice for people trying to lose weight because I have no idea why I don't gain or lose weight regardless of how much I eat, how often I exercise, etc.

What's really funny is that people like to play 'guess your weight' and almost everybody guesses 185-190 for me. Must be the way I'm built that makes me look bigger than I really am.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Some people are just pre-disposed to be thin.

I am 6' tall and roughly 160 lbs and my weight never varies by more than a few pounds plus or minus from that number. I don't have any advice for people trying to lose weight because I have no idea why I don't gain or lose weight regardless of how much I eat, how often I exercise, etc.

What's really funny is that people like to play 'guess your weight' and almost everybody guesses 185-190 for me. Must be the way I'm built that makes me look bigger than I really am.
MDS is correct.

This is controlled primarily by your thyroid.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For exercise I suggest a recumbent bike or rower. You can watch tv on either. A rower is what I prefer because it uses the entire body. 20 to 30 minutes 3 times a week will transform your health. You can do the sessions anytime. Though I do suggest a day of rest in between. Check out craigslist. I got a 500 dollar rower for 50 bucks and it was almost brand new.

If you want to get stronger then do push-ups twice a week. Or you can also try out bodylastics resistance bands. I've used them and they are very good for upper body workouts(Push-Ups and Pull-ups are the best). Once you get your health up and weight down then we can start talking about running. Don't start running jogging or even walking on your weight/fitness level. My brother jacked up his hip because he was overweight. Swimming is safe assuming you can do it, but I still suggest a rower or stationary bike for the first 6-8 weeks of fitness training.

I will tell you that being fit makes you much better at sports and in the sack.

The best protein drink IMO is Chocolate Milk. Micheal Phelps drinks it. So it should work fine for you too. Creatine has mixed opinions and supplements aren't regulated by anyone so avoid them.

I suggest an AH fund that you put a dollar in for every time you do your full workout.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis