2014 NFL Season - It's Back Again - Pigskin Play.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
so Swerd, feeling better today? :)
To be honest, I didn't turn on the game until late in the 4th quarter. It was too nice a day outside to ruin it watching the Deadskins.

The won convincingly over Jacksonville. Good for Kurt Cousins, he apparently looked good. And good for the new coach Gruden. Too bad for Griffin. His ankle was dislocated and no one is saying how soon he might be back. I hope EVERYONE makes it clear that he must to let it heal completely.

Next week they go to Philadelphia and face a more threatening defense and a more potent offense. Washington's offensive line still has large holes in it.

It's still too early to care about what might be a marginal football team. And baseball may hang around in Washington for some time this fall :).

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I expected my Bolts to have a LONG day yesterday and they proceed to come out and pretty much dominate the defending Super Bowl champs. I swear those guys drive me nuts. I'm never sure what team is gonna show up. It was a fun game to watch though. Go Bolts!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Go Lions!!! :D
Seems the Panthers ate the Lions... and I expect many more good meals this year! Cam Newton is the real deal, and Luke Kuechly, (the best since **** Butkus), leads the best defense in the league.

Edit: Oh Geez... seems the censor robot doesn't like Richard Butkus.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
To be honest, I didn't turn on the game until late in the 4th quarter. It was too nice a day outside to ruin it watching the Deadskins.

The won convincingly over Jacksonville. Good for Kurt Cousins, he apparently looked good. And good for the new coach Gruden. Too bad for Griffin. His ankle was dislocated and no one is saying how soon he might be back. I hope EVERYONE makes it clear that he must to let it heal completely.

Next week they go to Philadelphia and face a more threatening defense and a more potent offense. Washington's offensive line still has large holes in it.

It's still too early to care about what might be a marginal football team. And baseball may hang around in Washington for some time this fall :).
Sorry about the delayed response; Wicked Wanda's spawn has taken over the Fortress of Solitude lately.

Deadskin's looked pretty alive to me and Cousins was sharp as a tack. It'll be interesting to see what happens when RGIII is healthy. :D I'm banking on little Danny Snyder to make the right decision. Every day I pray for his continued health & longetivity, as well as Mr. Jerry Jones in Dallas.

Well we avoided the hangman's noose one more time last night but you have to wonder how long they can keep pulling rabbits out of the hat. The new right tackle better get his bearings straight soon or we'll be cheering for (gulp) Mark Sanchez. Never a dull moment.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Well we avoided the hangman's noose one more time last night but you have to wonder how long they can keep pulling rabbits out of the hat. The new right tackle better get his bearings straight soon or we'll be cheering for (gulp) Mark Sanchez. Never a dull moment.
Yeah, I feel the same about the Packers. I went to the game at Lambeau on Sunday and watched them spot the Jets 21 points. I mean it was the Jets!?!?!?! WTF? I sat there in the 1st quarter thinking "I paid $88 a ticket and drive 2 hours for this?" But then the Pack came back. But you can't go to the Superbowl with a defense like that. You also can't let your QB (Rogers) get hit so much if you want him to last the season.

Never a dull moment is right. I'm sure more than a few children gained new vocabulary during Sunday's games.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't get all the RGIII hate. His numbers are actually pretty good. He has a 78 percent completion percentage most of that against a good defense in Houston. I watched Luck play on Monday and he definitely is not better than RGIII at this point.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well, other than his first season, he's chronically injured. That 78% is only the first game and while good, no touchdowns. What he is, is a fairly good looking guy, not kind of goofy like Luck, who has enough charisma to snag lucrative endorsement deals. If Cousins does well and Washington is poised to make the playoffs, does RGIII get to take over when he's cleared to play?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don't get all the RGIII hate…
This is Griffin's 3rd season in Washington, and 2nd major injury.

In his infinite wisdom, the owner of the Deadskins paid an extremely high price for this guy in the draft. So far he hasn't come close to paying off.

Part of the RG3 hate (hate may be too strong a word, I'd rather say disappointment) is that Griffin has consistently demonstrated his unwillingness to play the standard pocket passing game. He claims he want to learn to be a pocket passer, but so far this season, he still plays as if he believes his speed can save him. The record is clear that it can't. He will have a short and unhappy football career if this continues. Many fans in Washington are wondering out loud if he suffers from arrogance and narcissism. It was widely rumored last winter that the open disagreement between the young unproven quarterback and the head coach Mike Shanahan led to a break down in team-coach communication during the dreadful 2013 (3-13) season. Any team that allows a young, unproven, quarterback to overrule the coach is in for trouble.

During his first two seasons, many fans in DC acted as if Griffin was the second coming of Christ in a football uniform. It's understandable that the enchantment has given way to disappointment. Dangerous Dan Snyder continues to write new chapters in how not to run a football team.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
I can understand both sides of the RGIII argument. When he entered the league, he energized a fan base used to poor results. He was flashy and fun to watch. The big problem with running QB's is they put themselves at risk an then too often rely on their speed to counter any issues with their throwing game rather than develop their throwing game. That is not beneficial to a long term career.

RGIII's development at the passing game has been hampered by his serious injuries. That isn't helping him avoid running by having a solid passing game. He has potential...but it isn't developing.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I expected my Bolts to have a LONG day yesterday and they proceed to come out and pretty much dominate the defending Super Bowl champs. I swear those guys drive me nuts. I'm never sure what team is gonna show up. It was a fun game to watch though. Go Bolts!
Hi! :p

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I can understand both sides of the RGIII argument. When he entered the league, he energized a fan base used to poor results. He was flashy and fun to watch. The big problem with running QB's is they put themselves at risk an then too often rely on their speed to counter any issues with their throwing game rather than develop their throwing game. That is not beneficial to a long term career.

RGIII's development at the passing game has been hampered by his serious injuries. That isn't helping him avoid running by having a solid passing game. He has potential...but it isn't developing.
Yes, he was flashy and fun to watch for about half his first season. Then, the league defenses figured out how to stop him.

Now people here are wondering just what hampered the development of Griffin's passing game, the injuries or his attitude.

The Washington offensive line has been poor or worse for years. Recently, they are somewhat improved, but they can still be porous depending on who they play against. With a QB who is clearly uncomfortable in the pocket and who has a tendency to bolt and run, what O line can protect him? Against Jacksonville last week, the O line dominated and allowed Kirk Cousins to have a clean mistake free game. That was against Jacksonville. We'll see if that continues against teams like Philadelphia.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

RGIII was an elite passer in college. He like to run when no one is open rather than throw it away. I suspect that is his problem.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
RGIII was an elite passer in college. He like to run when no one is open rather than throw it away. I suspect that is his problem.
Lots of college QBs look great until they run into NFL defenses. Few pro receivers (and fewer Deadskin receivers) are open for long. And those linebackers are much faster. Griffin is slower after two knee reconstructive surgeries. He may never recover his Baylor speed.

Griffin wouldn't be the first elite college QB who never was as successful in the pros.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
RGIII is a modern day Michael Vick without some of the vices. Athletic ability out the kazoo, can run like a gazelle ... past tense now ... and can throw a 60-70 yard pass on a rope but couldn't read a NFL defense to save his keister. They feel their talent can overcome this shortcomings and the Shanahan's made no attempt whatsoever to teach him. Pile on a piss poor OL and it was a recipe for disaster from the start.

Swerd, a little wager on Sunday's matchup? Loser pays for dinner at Brassiere's?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… and the Shanahan's made no attempt whatsoever to teach him (Griffin). Pile on a piss poor OL and it was a recipe for disaster from the start.
Au contraire. The Shanahans made an intense effort to teach Griffin to read NFL defenses and develop a passing game. RG resisted it. Griffin responded with a poorly hidden whispering campaign (via twitter and elsewhere) that the Shanahans were responsible for his failings and for his injury too. This quickly became a public controversy in local newspapers and TV sports reporters last season. Griffin and his father maneuvered to become visibly close buddies of Dithering Dan during this controversy. Snyder refused to back up his head coach, to the extent that he allowed Griffin's father free access to the locker room after practices and games :eek:. And this was long before Snyder fired Shanahan.

This is why I say Griffin is narcissistic and arrogant. And this is what's behind the "RGIII hate". He has come across as an undeserving spoiled brat. To his benefit, he isn't an accused or convicted felon.

Swerd, a little wager on Sunday's matchup? Loser pays for dinner at Brassiere's?
I try to never gamble unless it's a sure thing. The only sure thing I see is Philadelphia beating Washington.

The place we went is called Brasserie Beck. I wonder what they serve at Brassiere's :D?

Of far greater interest around here is whether there will be a Washington Nats vs. Baltimore Orioles World Series.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Lots of college QBs look great until they run into NFL defenses. Few pro receivers (and fewer Deadskin receivers) are open for long. And those linebackers are much faster. Griffin is slower after two knee reconstructive surgeries. He may never recover his Baylor speed.

Griffin wouldn't be the first elite college QB who never was as successful in the pros.
I think the Redskins ruined him by starting him his rookie season. I'd never start a QB his rookie year there is way too much practice time needed for him to adjust especially for a guy who didn't play under center. I'd be hesitant his 2nd season too. The best QBs we have didn't start their rookie year outside of Peyton.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I think the Redskins ruined him by starting him his rookie season. I'd never start a QB his rookie year there is way too much practice time needed for him to adjust especially for a guy who didn't play under center. I'd be hesitant his 2nd season too. The best QBs we have didn't start their rookie year outside of Peyton.
Dan Marino
Ben Rothlisberger
Bob Griese
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Sam Bradford
Peyton Manning

All Started their rookie year, I dont think this is what ails RG3 , He simply comes off as being overmatched by most defensive schemes.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Dan Marino
Ben Rothlisberger
Bob Griese
Joe Flacco
Matt Ryan
Sam Bradford
Peyton Manning

All Started their rookie year, I dont think this is what ails RG3 , He simply comes off as being overmatched by most defensive schemes.
A
Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Andrew luck, and Jim McMahon to name some more.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis