20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
This is the type of thread I have been looking for, for quite some time now.
I didnt view all 18 pages but i DID read most.
One thing I was wondering about was...
What sort of "Reference" CD's one would recommend for demoing as an example, or in my case, my system is set up and I want to fully appreciate the capabilities of my front speakers.Is there some sort of instumental cd with the type of sound that would make you just sink into your plush sofa and close your eyes to hear it all? I read a review from one of the guys here of the Paradigm S6's, and he mentioned a CD or 3. But would really like to have a couple of opinions. But it is the instrumental style of music I am looking for, I want to hear that high to low piano the strings on the guitar the brass etc etc. It is not my "genre" of preference (I like anything that is good, lets face it, crud is crud) but there is nothing like listening to something that can show you what they can do. If you want to just PM me some thoughts, or post is fine too. Artist & Album names please so I can find on Amazon or my local Best buy etc.
Thanks folks.
Live at Massey Hall 1971--------Neil Young
Blood Sweat And Tears---------Blood Sweat And Tears (SACD)
Chicago Transit Athority---------Chicago Transit Authority (SACD)
Blue Country Heart---------Jorma Kaukonen
The Best Of Johnny Winter----------Johnny Winter (SACD)

Here is my standard list of finely recorded material to "show off" a system
I think you are looking for a sampler though. many fine ones are out there.
Try "Demonstration Reference Disc" McIntosh or a Telarc Sampler.

Here are some links:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/search_results.cfm

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2

http://www.elusivedisc.com/departments.asp?dept=168

You will not find XRCD, MOFI Gold, Telarc.......... in Best Buy.

Patrica Barber--------Cafe Blue (SACD)
is also impressive.
Someone mentioned Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm, it is also excellent.

Let us know what you got and what you liked.
thanks
eljr

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Isis - Oceanic
Isis - Panopticon
Chore - Take My Mask and Breathe
Chore - The Coastaline Fire
Minus The Bear - Highly Refined Pirates

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
....Someone mentioned Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm, it is also excellent....

eljr
I recently heard a radio interview with Helm and heard (in speech) what is left of his voice after throat cancer. I really liked this album before, but even more so now realizing how much effort that singing must have been. The guy really lived for the reason of making that album.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Don Chambers and Goat - They opened for a Drive By Truckers show I attended a few weeks ago and I bought his new CD Zebulon. This is an excellent CD by a guy not too well known outside Georgia. Chambers has a strange, very southern, gothic feel and a Tom Waits voice. I bought the CD on impulse at the DBT show and have found myself listening over and over. It's just right for that time when you're in a strange mood. Good sound too.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Fellow Audiohoics- sorry for being late to the dance. Here are my 20 favorite albums that most of you probably don’t have. I really do listen to all of these a lot. As usual- in no particular order:

1. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band- Impossible Dream. Vambo/Man in the Jar should be up there as one of the greatest 2-song segues in music history. Anthem gave me goose bumps at the age of 13, and it still does at 45.

2. Aphrodites Child- 666 This is the farthest thing in the world from satan rock. A look at the apocalypse and the Book of Revelations from Vangelis, before he was doing things like Chariots of Fire.

3. Masters of Reality- How High the Moon The tightness of these guys should truly embarrass most so-called ‘rock bands’. Chris Goss is one of those guitar players and aficionados either know about already, or dream about discovering.

4. Kyuss- Blues for the Red Sun A totally new definition of heavy.

5. Kyuss- Welcome to Sky Valley. A further elaboration of what heavy truly is.

6. Thin White Rope- The One that Got Away Nothing pristine about this live recording. No great ‘imaging’ nor ‘soundstage’. It’s easier to tell you what it’s not rather than what it is.

7. Dredg- El Cielo If I hear one more person state that there isn’t any good rock music anymore, I’m gonna hurt someone. Turn your Clearchannel-infested radio off and go out and listen to something! Put this on your list…

8. Opeth- Blackwater Park It’s ok, really. I know it’s Death Metal, but it’s produced by Steven Wilson. It won’t hurt you. Very much.

9. Eleven- 11 I booed these folks when they opened for Soundgarden. 2 months later I bought the album because I couldn’t get the music out of my head.

11. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (of Natural History) This album scares my dogs. Seriously.

12. Celtic Frost- Into the Pandemonium Lowfi, proto-death metal. Brutal. Intense. …with an opera singer and a small orchestra making an appearance.

13. Orchesta del Desierto (self title) Like Jimmy Buffett for the Stoner crowd.

14. King Crimson- Red Your older brother has it. Or your favorite uncle. You should, too.

15. Porcupine Tree- Deadwing Yeah, I know. I’m phoning this one in. A lot of people are writing about it, and it’s because it’s that good.

16. Ultravox- Rage in Eden Should have been a staple of 80’s radio. Instead, we had Depeche Mode forced upon us. Ultravox is where they ripped it off from.

17. The Catherine Wheel- Wishville Instead of this, we were forced to listen to Bush (the band. I have no political statement to make)

18. Faith No More- King for a Day. My favorite album by this band. The recording is awesome. It even has dynamic range!

19. Klaus Schulze- Audentity I know he probably has better albums, but I think I should really own something that I put on this list. And this is the best KS that I have at the moment. Dark Side of the Moog #7 is on my short list to get.

Bill Ward- Ward One: Long the WayThe recording and mastering of this disc is a little weird. But the combination of Ward, Ozzy and Jack Bruce is exrraordinary.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Fellow Audiohoics- sorry for being late to the dance. Here are my 20 favorite albums that most of you probably don’t have. I really do listen to all of these a lot. As usual- in no particular order:

13. Orchesta del Desierto (self title) Like Jimmy Buffett for the Stoner crowd...
Is this meant to somehow imply that JB is not for the stoner crowd??

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Darn it! I hadn't thought about that...

But then again, I can't imagine Fu Manchu or 60 Watt Shaman opening for JB

P

PARISGELLER

Audiophyte
My Favorite 20 Albums You Probally Don't Own

1.die Healing(1995) By Saint Vitus.
2.trouble In Angel City(1989) By Lion.
3.sin After Sin(1977) By Judas Priest.
4.wayward Angel(2004) By Kasey Chambers.
5.virgin Killer(1976) By The Scorpions.
6.q:are We Not Men?,a:we Are Devo!(1978) By Devo.
7.somewhere In Time(1986) By Iron Maiden.
8.pentagram(1985) By Pentagram(u.s. Band).
9.barricades And Brickwalls(2002) By Kasey Chambers.
10.born Too Late(1987) By Saint Vitus.
11.lightning Strikes Again(2008) By Dokken.
12.trick Or Treat(1986) By Fastway.
13.day Of Reckoning(1987) By Pentagram(u.s. Band).
14.duty Now For The Future(1979) By Devo.
15.back In The Streets(recorded In 1979,released Late 80's)[bootleg Recording] By Dokken.
16.technical Ecstasy(1976) By Black Sabbath.
17.nostradamus(2008) By Judas Priest.
18.seven Turns(1990) By The Allman Brothers Band.
19.milk And Honey(1984) By John Lennon & Yoko Ono.
20.eric Burdon Declares "war"(1970) By Eric Burdon And War.
21.retaliation(1987) By Carnivore.
22.tupelo Honey(1971) By Van Morrison.

Ok I Cheated, I Had To Add A Couple Of Extra Albums!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a book I recieved for Christmas titled "One THousand Recordings You Must Here Before You Die" . It covers every gemre of music world wide. I've started collecting music agianst this book ( genres I do like ) and they've been pretty good. The only one I need a litle getting used to so far is King Crimosn's "In The COurt Of Crimson" .

M

mwheelerk

Junior Audioholic
I'll Play

Arlo Guthrie - Hobo's Lullabye

B B King - Lucille

The Blind Boys of Alabama - Spirit Of The Century

Calexico - Black Light

Dave Alvin - King of California

Eleanor McEvoy - Out There

Bill Frisell - The Sweetest Punch The Songs of Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach

Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On

Gene Clark - No Other

Holly Cole - Temptation

Hot Tuna - Burgers

Howlin' Wolf - The Real Folk Blues

Hubert Laws - Rite Of Spring

Jacques Loussier Trio - Satie

John Lee Hooker - Never Get Out Of These Blues Alive

John Mayall - Turning Point

Jorma Kaukonen - Blue Country Heart

Magic Sam - Black Magic AND West Side Soul

Mark Ribot - The Prosthetic Cubans

Mark-Almond - Mark-Almond

Muddy Waters - Folksinger

Ollabelle - Ollabelle

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails

Rickie Lee Jones - The Sermon On Exposition Boulevard

Ronnie Earl & The Broadcasters - Grateful Heart: Blues & Ballads

Roy Buchanan - Roy Buchanan Second Album

Spirit - The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus

T-Bone Walker - T-Bone Blues

Viktor Krauss - Far From Enough

Wayne Horvitz - Sweeter Than The Day

M

mtbound10

Audioholic
All this talk about great music in more than 20 pages of posts and no talk of:

Jeff Buckley any album...

Chris Smither...

Jeffrey Foucault...

Ray Lamontagne

Soundgarden... early albums

Jose Gonzales

Janes Addiction the true founding fathers of what became the most cliche'd niche in rock "grunge"...

Tool... Maynard James... hands down one of the best vocal performers of our time...

Rush... satanic and eerie, maybe, but one of the greatest arrangements ever!

The Gutter Twins... thank you Mark Lanegan (spelling)

had to chime in on this one...

H

hillbill

Audioholic
2.trouble In Angel City(1989) By Lion.

11.lightning Strikes Again(2008) By Dokken.

15.back In The Streets(recorded In 1979,released Late 80's)[bootleg Recording] By Dokken.

Ok I Cheated, I Had To Add A Couple Of Extra Albums!
Sweet! A fellow Dokken fan. Oh and I thought maybe I was the only one who ever heard Lion's Trouble in Angel City. Nice :)

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

There's a book I recieved for Christmas titled "One THousand Recordings You Must Here Before You Die" . It covers every gemre of music world wide. I've started collecting music agianst this book ( genres I do like ) and they've been pretty good. The only one I need a litle getting used to so far is King Crimosn's "In The COurt Of Crimson" .
I have a vintage vinyl of "The Court of the Crimson King". This is definitely an acquired taste. It helps to have a seriously altered state of consciousness. Enough serotonin and this album makes sense.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails

Spirit - The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus
While you're at it, try the first Quicksilver album (self titled) and the the first Spirit album (also self titled). Both are fine opening salvos. Songs like Mechanical World, Topango Windows and Water Woman from Spirit are so out of time and place that it's hard to pick the correct decade if you don't know.

W

Wildgift

Enthusiast
The Sundays "Reading Writing and Arithmetic". Just gorgeous.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis