20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
( 1 ) David Bowie - David Bowie (AKA Space Oddity)

( 2 ) Supertramp - Breakfast in America

( 3 ) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

( 4 ) T.Rex - Electric Warrior

( 5 ) Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

( 6 ) Mamas and the Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes

( 7 ) The Who - Who's Next

( 8 ) Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run

( 9 ) The Guess Who - American Woman

( 10 ) Metallica - ... And Justice For All

( 11 ) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

( 12 ) Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

( 13 ) The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

( 14 ) Eric Clapton - Slowhand

( 15 ) Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

( 16 ) Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf/2nd
(Kinda cheated... but Steppenwolf and Steppenwolf the 2nd are like hand-in-hand)

( 17 ) Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Voices Are Now Habits

( 18 ) Neil Young - Harvest

( 19 ) Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

( 20 ) Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield

W

waxey

Junior Audioholic
1. Herbie Mann - Push Push
2.Grateful Dead - Reckoning
3. John Mayall -Jazz Blues Fusion
4. B.B. King -Blues on the Bayou
5. Bob Seger - Nine Tonight
6. Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Almost Acoustic
7. T-Bone Walker - T-bone Blues
8. Rolling Stones - Beggers Banquet
9. Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
10. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Rvisited
11. Hot Tuna - Classic Hot tuna Acoustic
12. Ten Years After - A Space in time
13. Ray Charles - Ultimate Hits Collection
14. Tom Waits - The Early Years Vol 2
15. The Doors - Waiting For the Sun
16. Essential blues Piano - Various Artist
17. Neil Young - Live
18. Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
19. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
20. The Roots of rock & Roll - Various Artist From 1946 - 1954

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
I meant what twenty albums do you own that everyone else should but probably don't.
Again, a lot of recently listed albums are among some of the biggest sellers of all time. Chances are most of us already have or had them at one time, or are at least quite familiar with them already. Remember, Rob's intent of this thread was for us to make album recommendations to each other that we may not be familiar with.

With that..

The Notting Hillbillies - "Missing... Presumed Having a Good Time"
Mark Knopfler side project from late 80's/90 - Country/Rockabilly/Blues.
This one really grew on me.

K

ksjennai

Audiophyte
my 2 cents

Fusion Jazz:
20. The Fents "The Other Side"
19. Kazu "Time No Longer"
Progressive Rock:
18 Nektar "Remember The Future" or Live :"Thru the Ears"(European Release)
17. Triumvirat "Sparticus"
16 Triumvirat "Pompeii- Live from Pompeii"
15 Tony Banks "A Curious Feeling"( tony of Genesis)
14 Mike Rutherford "Smallcreeps Day"
13 Camel "A Live Record" (Which includes otherwise unreleased tracks-Ligging at Louis')
12 Emerson Lake & Palmer "Pictures at an Exhibition"
out of the way stuff:
11 Gino D'Auri "Passion Play" (Flamenco)
10 Kevin Gilbert (RIP) "Thud"
9 Bruce Cockburn "Christmas" (Some of the most unusual Christmas songs you ever heard)
8 Ambrosia "Rhode Island"
7 Jean Luc Ponty(With Al DiMeola and Stanley Clarke) The Right of Strings
6 Lucia Hwong "House of the Sleeping Beauties"
5 Kieth Jarrett "The Koln Concert"
4 Poco "Legend"(original Half Speed Master)
3 Tomita "Live At Linz" (Electronic Classical Music)
Way... Way Out there:
2 Dr. Peter Schickle "The Wurst of PDQ Bach"
1 "The Shape of the Land" Windham Hill Artists

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
I got 10 on it...

Here's 10 I think maybe most of you don't own (but should!):

1) ZouZou - L'integrale

2) Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson

3) Various Artists - Beat at Cinecitta

4) Tosca - Suzuki

5) Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo Remixes

6) Sahib Shihab - Companionship

7) Benny Bailey - Mirrors

8) Alexei Utkin - C.P.E. Bach: Oboenkonzerte & Sonaten

9) The Florestan Trio - Three French Piano Trios

10) Robin Mckelle - Introducing Robin Mckelle

Hope you folks like some of these. Happy Listening!

Oliver Amnuayphol
Aperion Audio

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
I know you said don't laugh but :p. You're the first person I've ever heard of being blown away by that album. But to each their own.:D
Fat Old Sun is one of Gilmour's favorite solos and might be mine as well. Summer of 68 is great. If is one of the most introspective songs out there on record. Atom Heart Mother Suite "fueled the fire" for them for years to come. Without "direction" they would have fallen into obscurity as a "cult band".

Dark Side of the Moon was a "put up or shut up" time for them. If it bombed, they were looking at a good chance of being dropped by EMI. But without AHM and the song Echoes, you wouldn't have had DSotM.

G

Guitar_Frost

Enthusiast
This is fun y'all.

I'd add:

Supertramp - Crisis, What Crisis?

Peter Gabriel - Up. (No, that''s different from 'Us' - Preferably in the surround SACD, but the stereo mix is awesome too)

Beatles - Love - Check the SACD 5.1 mix. Goodness, you've never heard the Beatles like this before. Really.

Josh Joplin Group - Useful Music

David Bowie - Outside (Very dark and industrial!)

Todd Rundgren - 2nd Wind (live)

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (check the 5.1 DTS DVD-A, if possible)

Music for Compline - Stile Antico - (there is an SACD)

The Verve Pipe - Villains

Ronnie Montrose - Open Fire

Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger

Icehouse - Primitive Man - tres '80s. tres cool.

Journey - Next (Yes, there was a non-commercial, rock fusion Journey, ore-Steve Perry - okay sonically it's not awesome from a mastering perspective, but still...)

That's good for now. I could make sport of this for far too long...

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
OK, I guess I'll finally chime in on this one.

Saga - Worlds Apart
Charles Mingus - Ah Um!
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Saigon Kick - The Lizard
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
David Bowie - Station to Station
Jaco Pastorious - debut album (Legacy remastered)
Sarah MacLachlan - Surfacing
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
John Coltrane - Bluetrane
Elliot Fisk - Paganini 24 Caprices
Frank Gambale - The Great Explorers
Bjork - Post
Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye
Kitaro - The Light of the Spirit
Disturbed - Believe
Saxon - Crusader
Triumph - Thunder 7
Julien "Cannonball" Adderley - Savoy debut
Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra - Herbert von Karajan (1974)
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East expanded remastered

DJ

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Gino Vannelli "The ultimate collection"
This guy and the musicians that played with him in the 70's and early 80's were just flat out awesome!

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
Can't really tell 20 of them... I have most of the ones I like... still want to have these 5:

1. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
2. Built to Spill - Ancient Melodies of the Future
3. Jesus & Mary Chain - 21Singles
4. Kaki King - Legs to Make Us Longer
5. Cantus - Let Your Voice Be Heard.

T

Turkeybaster115

Audiophyte
Natalie Imbruglia: white lilies island
dj encore unique
imogen heap ellipse

O

onkyoampman2009

Audioholic
OK, I guess I'll finally chime in on this one.

Saga - Worlds Apart
Charles Mingus - Ah Um!
Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
Saigon Kick - The Lizard
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
David Bowie - Station to Station
Jaco Pastorious - debut album (Legacy remastered)
Sarah MacLachlan - Surfacing
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
John Coltrane - Bluetrane
Elliot Fisk - Paganini 24 Caprices
Frank Gambale - The Great Explorers
Bjork - Post
Vinnie Moore - Mind's Eye
Kitaro - The Light of the Spirit
Disturbed - Believe
Saxon - Crusader
Triumph - Thunder 7
Julien "Cannonball" Adderley - Savoy debut
Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra - Herbert von Karajan (1974)
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East expanded remastered

DJ
WOW, some ARE my Favorites!
Dream Theater, Queensryche, Triumph, Saxon, Saga, Judas Priest!

Masher

Masher

Junior Audioholic
1. Badfinger - Straight Up - The best album that most have never heard.
2. Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds - Takes off where Echoes ends and preludes to DSotM.
3. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack & A Day at the Races - They bookend A Night at the Opera, and are just as good.
4. David Bowie - Diamond Dogs Simply his best ever album
5. Pretty Things - Parachute - Most have never heard this album and it is their best.
6. The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo - a blockbuster album
7. Oasis - Definately Maybe? - One of the best debut albums ever.
8. R.EM. - Life's Rich Pageant - IMO, it is their best album, not too popular but encapsulates their abilities the best.
9. Rush - Fly by Night & 2112 - 2112 is stellar. Fly by Night has great tunes such as Anthem, By-Tor and the Snowdog and In the End.
10. The Cult - Love - One of the Best 3 albums of the 80's.
11. Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
12. Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
13. Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
14. The Cars - Candy-O
15. T. Rex - The Slider
16. Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
17. Wings - Wings Over America
18. AC-DC - Let There Be Rock
19. Derek and The Dominoes - Layla and other Assorted Love Songs
20. Live - V

A

AllenW

Enthusiast
Couldn't nail it down to just 20, but a few are..

Fleetwood Mac....Kiln House
Savoy Brown ......Looking In
Gypsy................Here in the garden
JJ Cale...............Roll On or Closer to You
Booker T and the MG's ... Greatest hits
Sanata ............Abraxas
Bonnie Raitt .......Road Tested
Led Zep.............2 and 3
Crusaders...........title unk, but mid 70's I think
Allman Bros.........Filmore concerts
Bela Fleck and the flecktones...Not sure of title, some I like, some not
BR5-49...............Big Backyard Beat Show
John Fogerty .....Blue Moon Swamp
Los Lonely Boys...Los Lonely boys
Meatloaf ...........Bat outta hell
Righteous Bros.....Soul and Insspiration
Rippingtons..........Let it Rip
Robin Trower........Bridge of sighs
Stevie Ray Vaughan..most of his stuff
Temptations...........Wish it would Rain
Doors..................LA Women

Just a few I like.

Lots of albums I'd forgot about, my shopping list just got much longer..:D

Al

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
My list really only covers the 80's and 90's and 00's because that's the only stuff I was alive during to start listening to when I actually started listening to music, so:

Dream Theater: Images and Words
-If not just for the song, images and words, dynamic range is great, and the piano is captivating. Great rock album, though short.

Joe Satriani: Crystal Planet
- This is my all-time favorite one he has put out yet, and I saw him do a live 30 minute show in a Tower records for the Surfing album, but this one will always be my favorite. He does well being a one-man-band.

Flobots: Fight With Tools
- If you have not heard Flobots, you need to. I picked up their first mainstream album last year and I was hooked. I listened to the CD all the way through, over and over. It's wonderful. I can only describe it as new age political rap, with a guitarist, a bassist, drummer, and a violin. It's put together really well. It's great.

Scorpions: Unbreakable
- One of their newer albums, but way better than the newest (hour 1) it sums up the fact that even though they are old, they still rock, and they know how to keep up with the times, if you don't have a signed copy of this album, something's wrong with you.

Godsmack: Godsmack
- If you're looking for a solid drum song, and you haven't heard "Voodoo" yet, get on that right now. Great song. The whole album is good, and I'm pretty sure the words "Go away" are used on every song.:D

Metallica: Reload
- Statistically, Metallica fans tend to hate this album, but I must say it's my favorite by them so far. "Unforgiven II" is a great song, as is "low man's lyric" I could talk for hours on Low man's lyric, it's a brilliant song, and even if you listened to reload, you may have missed it, as it's the last track, and few people know what I'm talking about when I mention it.

Tool: Undertow
- I still believe "Sober" is the best song of the era to date. The bass line in that song, as well as "Prison Sex" make you want to crank your stereo and bob your head, anywhere, any time, you can't help it.

Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind
- One of my favorite druggy albums. It took me 5 or 6 years to realize that one of the songs was about doing cocaine, but it seems so obvious. "Jumper" is a great song, and as far as 90's rock goes, this album I think, was a staple to continue the 90's style.

Goo Goo Dolls: Dizzy up the Girl
- Have you ever heard "Iris"? Did you know it's my second favorite song? If you didn't, you may not have listened to it, because it may become one of your favorites. This album is chock full of ballads, and true to 90's style, they're all similar, but good. Definitly worth the listen, if not just for that one song.

Tesla: Into the Now
-(my father in law used to be their drummer when they were a garage band, Jeff Keith went to their wedding) But before i knew him, I loved Tesla. Bust a Nut was a great album. I can't describe to you why Tesla rocks, other than they just do. The vocals that JK puts out are great, and I don't know how else to put it, but if you imagine Axle Rose almost drowned, and has a bunch of water in his lungs, that's about what JK sounds like. It's great. Other honorable mentions are "Signs" "Modern Day Cowboy" "Love song" not on that album though. "Heaven 9/11" is awesome.

Rage A.T. Machine: Self Titled
- I know all the songs off this album by heart, you mention the first word, I can sing the rest. I got this album in 1995, and have not stopped listening to it. If Political rap bugs you, don't listen to it, because that's what it is. If you don't care that it's that "deep and meaningful" like I do, listen to it. Tom Morello will captivate you with one handed guitar solos and Zack De La Rocha is still one of my favorite singers/ rappers.

Atreyu: Lead Sails Paper Anchor
- My favorite modern rock album. It's heavy on the metal side, and there is some screaming, but since the band has 2 singers, it levels out, as there's one with an actual voice, and then one for yelling. It levels itself out well, and it's a solid album.

Muse: Black Holes and Revelations
-I shouldn't need to explain muse, but look up "Knights of Cydonia" and try not to imagine riding on a horse through the desert with a Flying V strapped to your back. Just try not to, I dare you. "Supermassive Black Hole" is a weird song, but I recommend it to anyone.

Stone Temple Pilots: Core
- I still think this was their best album, even next to "Purple" Almost every song is good, and the album starts off the way an album should. the very first song starts of quiet, and gets louder and draws you into the album, and makes you want to finish listening to it, rather than skipping around to songs you "like".

Primus: Sailing the Seas of Cheese
- Too many puppies... are being shot in the dark... too many puppies, I said not to bark. Sgt. Baker, is my name... first band I saw to make a song about the drill seargent in Full metal Jacket. The songs on this album are heavy on the bass, and riff out well with the strange bells the drummer seems to have on hand, but Les Claypool always delivers, and if you happen to be lucky enough to catch one of his concerts to watch him play the bass wit ha violin bow in a pig mask, consider yourself lucky. They put on one hell of a show.

Megadeth: Countdown To Extinction
- They may not be your cup of tea, but I own every single album Megadeth has put out on both Vinyl and CD, yes, 2 copies of each in two different mediums. This one still contains my most favorite songs of the bunch, and if you're a Megadeth fan, or just getting into it, pick this up, I'm sure you'll like it, unless you hate Megadeth, then you won't like it.

Van Halen: Van Halen
-I must say that I've hated every other album they've ever put out, and I think Roth was the best lead singer they had. Everyone knows that Eddie actually only knew how to play because he found the Pick of Destiny, but that's besides the point. "eruption" is still one of my favorite solos ever, and "Girl You Really Got me" and "Jamie's Cryin" are two great rock classics.

Savatage: Edge of Thorns
-A solitary dancer, so lost upon her stage... I have seen you on the EDGE OF DAWN! Felt you here, before you WERE BORN! Balanced your dreams upon the edge of THORNS! BUT I DON'T THINK ABOUT YOU - ANYMORE!
Do you like early 90's hair ballads, yeah, that's the best one ever and don't you forget it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDVoajxYdWI if you don't listen to that song, it means I haven't got you hooked. Go ahead, click it.

Bush: 16 Stone
-There's no sex in your violence. Enough said. Also, "machine-head" is a great song to crank the volume to.

Kittie: Into the Darkness
-Do you know who Kittie is? No? Did you or do you live in California? Odds are, if not, you've never heard of them. Imagine a hardcore metal band with 5ft tall hot chicks and a lead singer that can actually sing, and belt out wails like the best of em and still be UNDERSTANDABLE! Wow! I know. They're awesome. They're not for everyone, but as far as metal goes, look them up.

I know it's not 20, but these are staples in my music collection of about 400 albums, I know, not much, but I get about 4 CD's a month, so it grows slowly now, it used to be more.

Edmonton

Edmonton

Audioholic Intern

pretty sure my taste in music is waay different than most people here :p

Tool - Aenima
Tool - Undertow
Tool - 10,000 Days
Tool - Lateralus
A Perfect Circle - eMOTIVE
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists
Disturbed - Indestructible
Timbaland - Shock Value II
Bone, Thugs And Harmony - 1999
Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
Portishead - Dummy
Green Day - 1039/Smoothed Out Happy Hour
Gravediggaz - Six Feet Deep
Linkin Park - Live In Texas
Billy Talent - Billy Talent I
Seether - Disclaimer
Tragically Hip - Fully Completely
White Zombie - Astro Creep

A

A resident

Audiophyte
1983 by Flying Lotus
-----------
An album worth checking out if you're looking for a new sound. Flying Lotus' music is sort of a genre of it's own. It's a mix of Electronica, Hip Hop, Glitch Hope, Trip Hop, etc. The album's namesake, 1983, is worth, at least, checking out on YouTube if anything else. This album is the first of its kind.

Stress: The Extinction Agenda by Organized Konfusion
-----------
The most respected underground hip hop album by anyone who loves underground hip hop. If you hate hip hop, I can understand that-- but this is the embodiment of what the mid 1990's, real struggle, grow to fame, and rapping about what's real, is about. Features some of the best lyricisms from this decade.

Fear of a Black Tangent by Busdriver
-----------
A unique hip hop album with some really catchy beats and choruses. My favorite album from this artist. His lyrics are uncanny, uncouth, and very interesting.

Eatin' Dust by Godzilla
-----------
A grungy rock album out from the west coast of US. They do the best cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla that exists. Has both a heavy and mellow sound you can really dig on.

Dubstep Allstars 5 by DJ N-Type
-----------
Great intro into a very little known genre of music called Dubstep. A heavy bass drawn music that, if you're into it, you will become addicted to. If anything I recommend, TRY THIS!!

Other worthy albums:

Everybody's Talking, Nobody's Listening by Caspa

by Justice

Little Dragon by Little Dragon

Deadringer by RJD2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis