20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

pmac

pmac

Junior Audioholic
This is the type of thread I have been looking for, for quite some time now.
I didnt view all 18 pages but i DID read most.
One thing I was wondering about was...
What sort of "Reference" CD's one would recommend for demoing as an example, or in my case, my system is set up and I want to fully appreciate the capabilities of my front speakers.Is there some sort of instumental cd with the type of sound that would make you just sink into your plush sofa and close your eyes to hear it all? I read a review from one of the guys here of the Paradigm S6's, and he mentioned a CD or 3. But would really like to have a couple of opinions. But it is the instrumental style of music I am looking for, I want to hear that high to low piano the strings on the guitar the brass etc etc. It is not my "genre" of preference (I like anything that is good, lets face it, crud is crud) but there is nothing like listening to something that can show you what they can do. If you want to just PM me some thoughts, or post is fine too. Artist & Album names please so I can find on Amazon or my local Best buy etc.
Thanks folks.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
What sort of "Reference" CD's one would recommend for demoing as an example, or in my case, my system is set up and I want to fully appreciate the capabilities of my front speakers.Is there some sort of instumental cd with the type of sound that would make you just sink into your plush sofa and close your eyes to hear it all? I read a review from one of the guys here of the Paradigm S6's, and he mentioned a CD or 3. But would really like to have a couple of opinions. But it is the instrumental style of music I am looking for, I want to hear that high to low piano the strings on the guitar the brass etc etc. It is not my "genre" of preference (I like anything that is good, lets face it, crud is crud) but there is nothing like listening to something that can show you what they can do. If you want to just PM me some thoughts, or post is fine too. Artist & Album names please so I can find on Amazon or my local Best buy etc.
Thanks folks.

Steely Dan: "AJA" and "GAUCHO" perfection in recording.

Also check out: Donald Fagen "Nightfly"

Gato Barbieri: "Caliente"--you'll get acoustic guitars, violins, piano, etc.

Joe Sample: Anything by him, will blow you away--Piano, bass, etc.

Al Di Meola: "Kiss My Axe"

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Thanks folks.

This has turned out to be a cool thread...I've found some good music thru the recommendations made. Who thought it would still be going this long- the thread that won't die.:D

There are probably quite a few threads about "audiophile" recordings. If you like jazz, Patricia Barber's CDs always boast SoTA sound. I really like Robin McKelle's album, "Introducing Robin McKelle." Most of Holly Cole's albums sound really good, too. For vocal music, try "Let Your Voice Be Heard" by Cantus- it was recorded & engineered by an editor of Stereophile. Lastly, the classical label Naxos can generally be counted on to deliver superb sound quality with a very high level of musicianship.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's a few more -

Levon Helm's "Dirt Farmer". Helm, formerly of the Band, has a ravaged voice (throat cancer) but it really works for this old rootsy material. Simple accompaniment, well played and these old songs work quite well.

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, "This is Somewhere" - Grace has gained strength and confidence since her first. Better songs, excellent playing and fine singing make this a keeper.

John Butler Trio - "Grand National" - More fine music and playing from Butler. Simple, good accoustic stuff, just string bass, drums and Butler's variety of 6 and 11 string guitars (yes, 11) with an occasional banjo, this album is much like his last cd but well worth a listen. Butler can be a breathtaking guitarist in performance (I have seen him play and his Youtube video Ocean has had 2 million hits) and some of that comes through on this album. It won't remake music but it's quite good.

Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous

Audioholic
A few favorites from 2007:

Apparat - Walls (Bpitch Control) Berlin-based DJ Sasca Ring has transcended the faceless miasma of minimal techno and progressive trance by daring to go pop. He started gaining momentum with his collaboration last year with Ellen Allien on Orchestra of Bubbles. His scintillating electronica were built up into more structured songs, but serrated with rough edges. On Walls, Apparat makes the rhythms more slippery and less danceable, but continues to hone real pop songcraft, even evoking Prince on "Hailin' From the Edge" and "Holdon" with vocal assistance from Raz Ohara. Static and fuzz brush against dreamy Thom Yorke-like vocals on "Arcadia," while "Over and Over" melts like caramel. Perhaps too sophisticated to cross over to actual pop charts, this album is something special.

Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals (We Are Free)
Were I given the chance to make up a band I'd like to hear, I'd likely mix in the ancient (multi-part harmonies, chants, West African rhythms, instruments from around the globe) with the future (electronics, modern production and effects). It would mix sci-fi dystopian dread with ecstasy. The band would probably sound a lot like Yeasayer, though I probably wouldn't dress them like filthy hippies.

Matthew Dear - Asa Breed (Ghostly International)
Like Apparat, Matthew Dear's roots are in the somewhat mundane micro-house and techno scene, and has broken through by developing real songwriting skills, lyrics and all. Electronic producers and DJs who have discovered their (vocal) pipes are no longer a novelty, and Dear distinguishes himself with the masterful, engaging Asa Breed. The styles are wildly varied, his layered baritone recalling Joy Division in "The Deserter" to the bubbly Tom Tom Club in the Caribbean dance party of "Elementary Lover," the TV On The Radio harmonies of "Midnight Lovers," and the shockingly folksy Americana of "Vine to Vine." Like a good rollercoaster, it's a blast no matter how many times you ride.

For more, see Fast ‘n’ Bulbous Year-End Summary & Fester’s Lucky 13s .

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I read through this pretty quick but will go back and take some notes.

Its amazing how much good stuff is out there. Its almost overwhelming.

I saw BLUE OCTOBER in one reply and I certainly like some of their stuff. Alison Kraus is absolutely incredible and the Beck album certainly stands out.

My short list that most of my friends wouldnt know are

Lies for the Liars (the used)
My Private Nation (train)
Risk (ten sheckel shirt)
Gish (smashing pumpkins)
Real Life (silers bald)
Why do they rock so hard (reel big fish)
Meddle (pink floyd)
Spiritual Mahines (our lady peace)
Definitely Maybe and Be here now (oasis)
This Side (Nickelcreek) If you havent heard this, its fantastic... its a violin, mandolin and rhythm guitar and excellent vocals for you bluegrass lovers

L

Lyric Suite

Audiophyte
1) Bach - Well Tempered Clavier (Vladimir Feltsman)

2) Bach - Goldberg variations (Gould, 1981 recording)

3) Bach - Art of Fugue (Evgeni Koriolov)

4) Mozart - String Quartets (Alban Berg on Teldec)

5) Mozart - String Quintets (Griller)

6) Beethoven - String Quartets (Talich on Calliope)

7) Beethoven - Late Piano Sonatas (Vladimir Feltsman)

8) Beethoven - Diabelli (Stephen Kovacevich early version)

9) Schubert - String Quartets and Quintet (Melos)

10) Chopin - Preludes (Pogorelich)

11) Chopin - Edudes (Pollini)

12) Chopin - Ballades (Krystian Zimerman)

13) Chopin - Nocturnes (Vladimir Feltsman)

14) Brahms - Late piano pieces (Radu Lupu)

15) Brahms - Clarinet Quintet (Lluna/Tokyo)

16) Debussy - Images/Etudes (Pierre-Laurent Aimard)

17) Debussy - Preludes (Krystian Zimerman)

18) Bartok - String Quartets (Old Tokyo on DG, AVOID THE NEW SET)

19) Berg/Webern - Works for String Quartet (original Juilliard recording from the 60s)

20) Ligeti - Micropolyphonic works for Orchestra (Ligeti project volume 2)

21) Ligeti - Etudes (Ligeti edition [this is a different series] volume 3)

My own contribution to this thread.

Last edited:
D

dronezero

Audioholic
All add some albums that haven't been mentioned yet that should be. I have supplied sample tracks.

Elliott Smith - Either/Or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37k_Ri1XxEc
Don't know what to say about this album. It is just good low-fi folk/rock.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy - The Letting Go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBJ4ekzclPk
He is also an actor that goes by the name William Oldham.

Damien Rice - O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThuXEDvCZk
Perhaps a little overly sentimental, but I like it none the less. Great pop songs.

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands
Couldn't find a good video. The best album from an odd folk singer.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F#A# oo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aLjup934Rk
Check this out particularly if you like Sigur Ros. Many prefer other of their albums to this one, but I think this is a good place to start.

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isvn_Dsj2bA
Musically just simple rock. The main draw here is the stories he tells with the lyrics. They paint a great picture of what it is like to grow up in America today.

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LJ-rTduARY
This particular song is a little atypical of their other stuff, but it was my introduction to them and just simply a great song on an album that lives up to it.

Nina Simone - Anthology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSasf8GBfV4
One of the great singer/pianists. She has amazing power in her voice.

Last edited:
Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
This is a fun question

I’ll try to stick to the “you probably don’t own these” guideline, leaving out the obvious titles such as Neil Young’s Everybody Knows this is Nowhere or any of Dylan’s albums:
In no particular order except the Lambchop is indeed my #1 recommendation for sound quality as well as performance.

1. Lambchop –Is a Woman
2. Jessica Williams –Live at Yoshi’s Vol
3. Thelonious Monk –Brilliant Corners
4. Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica (it helps to read up on the story behind it)
5. Free –Fire and Water
6. Leonard Cohen –Recent Songs
7. Paul Ubana Jones –I Need a Storm
8. King Sunny Ade –Juju Music
9. Anything by Fela Kuti
10. Beethoven: Symphony No 3; Czech Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted by Lovro von Matacic (on the Supraphon label)
11. Beethoven: Symphonies 5 & 7 Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Carlos Kleiber (on Deutsche Grammophon)
12. Schubert Quintet for 2 violins, viola & 2 cellos in C major, D. 956 (Op. posth. 163) –I like the YoYo Ma /Sharon Robinson recording
13. The Modern Lovers- Self Titled
14. Gang of Four –Entertainment!
15. The Au Pairs -Sense and Sensuality
16. Songs:Ohia –Didn’t it Rain …or… Songs:Ohia -Magnolia Electric Co.​

I’ll leave it at 16 for now. I’m sure the other 4 will come to mind later today.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
I don't know if this was already suggested because the search function is not conducive to the name, Yo-Yo Ma, but please listen to this album:

Yo-Yo Ma -- Bach: Six Unaccompanied Cello Suites

I own the original release (1990--recorded by CBS in 1983) and it sounds quite phenominal. As a former cellist of 10 years, I cannot stress enough how clean and utterly flawless this recording sounds. Everything is airy and open, but it's not bright; the cello sounds like a cello. The recording doesn't even push the peak levels of a CD, yet it's incredibly dynamic. The noise floor is inaudible.

There are two newer releases of the Bach cello suites from Yo-Yo Ma. In the 1998 release, the so-called White album, Ma re-records the pieces down a half-pitch to echo a Baroque sound. I haven't listened to it, but it has mixed reviews. Lastly, the newest release seems to be a re-release of the 1990 album, but with a slight different cover. I can't discern if anything has changed (or been remastered for the worse).

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

How about John Fogerty's "Revival". You might recall Fogerty as the front of Creedence Clearwater Revival way back in the Woodstock era. He still has his voice, good material and perhaps more depth than back then. The disc is called Revival and one of the main songs Creedence, so you might think it nostalgic. Nevertheless, one of the inventors of Swamp Rock can still do it well. His guitar playing is quite good, with excellent sound. His voice can still hit the high notes.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I liked Revival as well. Next to Centerfield I thought it the best of his solo career. WE need a gunslinger as well as That Creedence song were my favorites.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Another new favorite, from Steve Earle, "Washington Square Serenade". This guy has had a real life journey, a golden voiced Nashville guy, a rebel country singer, 8 times married, once to his coke dealer, ejected from Nashville for his drugs, bad behavior and left wing politics, sent to jail, rehabbed, has written and directed plays and poetry...it's long time since the bootlegging redneck.

Now he's older, heavier, bald and productive, partnered with slinky country singer Allison Moorer and they live, of all places, in Greenwich Village, NYC. Writing about life in the big City, this is like a letter from a long lost relative. Fine personal music from a guy who has changed and mellowed in all sorts of ways.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Picked up a few CD's yesterday, both of which are awesome.

Thrice - The Illusion Of Safety.

Thrice - The Artist In The Ambulance.

I've been slowly replacing my burnt CDs with the real copies, but some are freaking hard to find.

Here is a couple Videos from each album.
Artist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6K3CNhSVFI&feature=related

Illusion:

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Crowded House, Woodface
Thes guys just make me happy with their positive music

Octavia Sperati, Winter Enclosure
5 young ladies from city of "Os" outside Bergen, Norway. This is their debut album and they make Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath sound like chicken, this is sensational heavy rock with an incredible sustained quality. I LOOOOVE IT :-D
The guitar is heavy like 500.000.000 lbs.....

Youthu Yindi, Tribal Voice
Aussie aboriginies providing 50% aboriginal songs and 50% rock, the rock is like nothing I have ever heard before and that's a compliment. Sensational record !

Leftfield, A Final Hit
The best bass at any record ever, period. And every song is sensational. Many people have bought Leftism... This is even better....

Kate Bush, The Sensual World
Kate Bush is a legend and this is possibly her best album. Read the lyrics and listen to the album, and your life will never bee the same

Eloy, Time to turn
German electronica band, this is their best album and anyone that likes this kind of music must consider this a "no brainer" on their purchase list.

Kate Bush & Larry Adler, The Man I Love
Kate Bush versions of "The Man I love" and "Rhapsody in blue", on a great rig this may make Schwarzenegger cry like a baby, and the recording is techncally first rate. This is just pure magic :)

Pattie Smith, Easter
Almost every song is a classic on this album.

Bel Canto, Birds of Passage
Those who never heard this band from Tromsø in north of Norway, you can't classify this.... Either you love it... or you love it... Never heard about anyone that doesn't care for these guys :-D
Their usage of electronic violins may make your heart stop.

Madrugada, The deep end
Perhaps the best Rock band from Scandinavia these days. Vocalist Sivert Høyem is claimed to have a voice that's so deep it sounds like it's originating from 50 feet beyond the surface of the earth.... This may sound scary and it is....
If you like Nick Cave, look to these guys...

Lene Marlin, Another Day
One of the most underrated female artists of these days. Not only does she look like 10 million dollars, she sings even better and all her songs are unreal......

Leningrad Cowboys, We *** From Brooklyn
Containing one ot the heaviest guitar recordings ever with 8 guys on guitar at the same time, Black Sabbath, eat your heart out, nothing beats the Sauna Song

Tom Waits, Orphans
Only because "Sea Of Love" may be one of the best songs ever !

Tori Amos, Professional Widow (Single)
Professional Widow is a very fine upbeat song, and who would expect that from this lady

Kylie Minogue, Impossible Remixes
You may laugh, but nobody will laugh if they listen to this, these are remixes with some of the best techno that I have ever heard. STUNNING !!!!!

The Knife, Silent Shuot
Fantastic Swedish electronica challenging Underworld and Kraftwerk

Beth Hart, Leave The Light On
This former heroin addict got her life on tracks again, and now she sings like her life depends on every song being perfect, A MUST HAVE

Les Négresses Vertes, Famille Nombreuse
A nice day of May in Bergen, the first day of genuine spring, and nice sunny weather, for those of you who don't know about the climate around here the winter is absolutely terrible (Aussies wouldn't survice a Norwegian winter)
The first nice day and everybody everywhere were excited just about the fact that it's so warm and nice....
We were going to a concert with the French Group "Les Negresses Vertes", never ever heard about them before. When we got into the locale it felt like an electric attitude to an extent that I have never experienced ever before or after, right then I knew it was going to be special...... If somebody light a match it would be a fire...... And when it finally started, the band played for 30 seconds and it all broke loose, everybody was cheering applauding and, the audience was mad after 2 minutes and the applause after each song must have been like what the US soldiers received when coming home from World War II. The music is like rock with accordions and an upbeat tempo that's made for concerts. Way into the concert the vocalist climbed up onto one of the large speakers walking on top of the speakers raving, I thought he was going to fall down ==:-O
I have never heard any of their songs before, but each song was like a revelation, and the audience was crazy about the performance of the band. I'm never going to experience something like this again because I don't think it's possible to attend two such gigs in a lifetime.
Whoooow :))))
This record catches most of their best songs in a nice way

Roky Erickson, Gremlins Have Pictures
This is genuine rock like rock is meant to be, but don't read his lyrics, you'll be scared to death ==:-O
Or how about "This is the night of the vampire", Roky was a very disturbed man, but he knew his music..... (He's possibly not as disturbed now)

The Breeders, Last Splash

The band, formed by Kim Deal, former bassist of Pixies. This is rock at it's best, absolutely no dull moments here...
And it kicks you straight in the face :-D

Last edited:
MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
A Long way from Tupelo- Paul Thorn. I just purchased this one. Bob Seger reminiscent blues rock

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

I never had more than I minor interest in The Pogues because I mainly had a few mp3's of drinking songs with Shane MacGowan's ravaged voice, but sifting through a pile of CDs belonging to my teen son, I found "If I Should Fall From Grace With God", popped it into the player and became a believer.

An old CD (1988), this features MacGowan at his peak. An impressionistic journey through the Irish Diaspora, this CD escapes from the usual Irish-Punk-folk formula of drinking songs, weepers and a few jigs and reels. It has Turkish, Polish and Spanish influences, songs of immigrants and political songs form Britain and Ireland. His sad songs rip your heart out, the band plays excellently, you get used to MacGowan's ruined but expressive voice and the whole thing has a continuity that really feels like a thought out single work rather than a gaggle of songs. Well worth the listen, this is my favorite Irish album by a long shot.

Audigy

Audigy

Enthusiast
I am an avid listener of Satch and I would have to disagree that Engines of Creations is his best post SWTA album. I applaud the creativity but there wasn't as much melody as I would have liked.

Obviously his best album is The Extremist with such orgasmic songs like Summer Song and Always with you Always with me but after that I'd have to say that Super Colossal is his best Post-Extremist album.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

My latest -

The Racontuers, Consolers of the Lonely - These guys have so much talent between them that they give the impression of just playing around with a bunch of styles that they like, even going back to one song that sounds like Crosby, Stills and Nash. In spite of a meandering direction to the album, they perform so well together that this mix-match works.

and

The Drive By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera. A 2002 album, this "magnum opus" is a 90 minute, 2 cd monster full of grinding 3 guitar southern rock. It's a sort of tongue-in-cheek "spiritual journey" through the career of Lynyrd Skynyrd and their influence on the band members. Strange as this sounds it works well and is quite a piece of work. I think they were somewhat exhausted by this effort because they have not been nearly so ambitious since this album. They are, however (according to the sleeve) available for tours, merchandise, baptisms and killin's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis