$2,000-3,000 Tower speaker comparison: Need help picking the contenders

S

steve1616

Audiophyte
Also, sorry if my sentences are a little off. I am drugged up because I have kidney stones again, and it makes me almost throw up to reread what I have written. I am signing off.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Also, sorry if my sentences are a little off. I am drugged up because I have kidney stones again, and it makes me almost throw up to reread what I have written. I am signing off.
Sorry to hear. Life sucks w/ pain. Hope you get better soon.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I don't want to start another hundred-years war with you, but it seems when you "call a spade a spade" or "play devils advocate" you really mean being rude to someone because of prior history..often proclaiming they lack credibility...

Can we just cut it out? I don't enjoy arguing with you, ADTG doesn't enjoy it, and I'm sure you don't enjoy it. We're all adults here can we just chill out and talk audio?

ADTG was being totally cool and you went postal. He too has been short when it wasn't necessary, and he was wrong. You're doing the same now and you're wrong.

He "ignored" you for the sake of the community. Please extend the same courtesy to us and do the same. :D

Sorry for derailing your thread NewHTbuyer...
When someone states something that is incorrect or 100% opinion but pushed as a fact, I have a hard time not commenting. I've seen you do the same. I've seen you flat out insult someone on this forum. Was it wrong? Yes. Am I in the wrong when I do it? Yes. I think we both already know that, and neither of us needs to point it out to the other, so please stop doing it.

If you don't enjoy arguing with me then why do it? :D I didn't start anything with you; in fact you usually start arguments with me. That's your right, but don't try to pretend you're an angel; you've done the same thing I've done with ADTG with others. :) The reason I responded to ADTG's post is because it was a very untrue and frankly rude thing to say in a thread that's primary focus is to compare a couple speakers in a short frame of time. Implying that because it isn't blind or a year long audition that it is a faulty approach was unnecessary and was obviously stated out of bias for his own methodology. I won't ignore someone who spreads lies and misinformation, but you can if you'd like to. If you'd like to "go to bat" for your buddy some more, please take it to PM.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, I think a long term perspective can be valuable for judging speakers.
I agree that long term perspective is very valuable for judging speakers. With that said, it isn't necessary in order to determine if a speaker is "for you" or not. Anyone who's knows how to listen properly (which is likely most of us on these forums) won't need a year long audition to decide if they've found their "dream" speaker or if one speaker is better than another. The fact that such a statement was made in a thread about a 30-day comparison is flat out rude, which is why I couldn't help but comment about it. I apologize for my rude tone toward ADTG; I get riled up by posts made in ignorance or with certain intentions. NHTB doesn't deserve a conversion about blind tests and year long auditions being the only way to compare speakers in his thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I agree that long term perspective is very valuable for judging speakers. With that said, it isn't necessary in order to determine if a speaker is "for you" or not. Anyone who's knows how to listen properly (which is likely most of us on these forums) won't need a year long audition to decide if they've found their "dream" speaker or if one speaker is better than another. The fact that such a statement was made in a thread about a 30-day comparison is flat out rude, which is why I couldn't help but comment about it. I apologize for my rude tone toward ADTG; I get riled up by posts made in ignorance or with certain intentions. NHTB doesn't deserve a conversion about blind tests and year long auditions being the only way to compare speakers in his thread.
I'm no angel either, so I hear you about getting riled up.

As for the question of whether or not a long-term test is required to determine if a speaker is really the right one for me, it might just be that I'm overly nit-picking so *I* need a long-term audition. Years ago during auditions I thought the ADS L1530 and then the ADS M15 were for me, only to find that after spending months with them I grew less and less happy. The same phenomenon occurred with the Legacy Audio Focus, which very interestingly was purchased direct from the manufacturer on a 30 day trial back in 1996. I enthusiastically decided to keep them at the end of the trial period, and then again became less and less happy with them over time. I'll volunteer that it could very well be that I'm just a lousy tester of speakers; it wouldn't be the only thing I'm lousy at, but ATDG's comment just got me thinking that, based on my experience, there seemed to be some truth behind it.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I'm no angel either, so I hear you about getting riled up.

As for the question of whether or not a long-term test is required to determine if a speaker is really the right one for me, it might just be that I'm overly nit-picking so *I* need a long-term audition. Years ago during auditions I thought the ADS L1530 and then the ADS M15 were for me, only to find that after spending months with them I grew less and less happy. The same phenomenon occurred with the Legacy Audio Focus, which very interestingly was purchased direct from the manufacturer on a 30 day trial back in 1996. I enthusiastically decided to keep them at the end of the trial period, and then again became less and less happy with them over time. I'll volunteer that it could very well be that I'm just a lousy tester of speakers; it wouldn't be the only thing I'm lousy at, but ATDG's comment just got me thinking that, based on my experience, there seemed to be some truth behind it.
Give yourself more credit - I doubt you're a "lousy tester of speakers." Would you say it's possible that you didn't quite know what sound you were exactly looking for when you purchased the ADS and Legacy Audio Focus speakers? I'm not making accusations here, just asking if it's possible.

I've been through a lot of speakers, and I continuously look for something "better," but the latter is simply for the fun of it. In many instances in the past I thought I knew what I wanted, only to be underwhelmed when I truly paid attention. I think my past purchases were based more on excitement, community buzz and aesthetics than sound, and my lack of focusing on what was truly important is to blame. That no longer occurs because I have learned based on past experience. Now I know exactly what I want, and because of that it's easy to quickly dismiss a speaker after hearing it for a short period of time. It sure took a while for me to get to that point, though. :)

You own one of my favorite speakers, and arguably (objectively) one of the best engineered speakers in the world. If I owned them I would probably stop looking at others, and maybe even quit attending shows. Stop looking to replace them and just enjoy! :):p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I enthusiastically decided to keep them at the end of the trial period, and then again became less and less happy with them over time.
It's that latest pretty girl to the dance. Latest greatest syndrome. Bias.

There is a lot of enthusiasm on forums and reviews. But after the honeymoon period is over, that's when we truly (maybe) know which ones we really want.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I wonder if the idea that you need a long time to really evaluate a speaker is really the flip side of human nature in that we get bored and want something different. I don't think people get divorced after 5 or 10 years because they finally finish evaluating their spouse and decide that person is a bad match. It is more that what you want changes and you simply want something new and exciting. Unless you are ADTG, and just keep all your exes in a harem.:D

I am doing some more AB testing. A good example of the strengths and weaknesses of each speaker can be found on tracks 7 and 8 of Led Zeppelin IV. Going to CA shines on the Phil2s with its intricate, multiple guitar tracks and arrangement. Just awesome. Then When the Levee Breaks starts and the SVS crushes that track with power and groove and depth. Quite interesting. I will play those 2 on Monday when some friends come over to get their opinions.

Overall, I think that I am basically trying to determine what small weakness each speaker has and whether I can live with that as opposed to what each does best. based on what my gut tells me, I am slightly leaning towards the Phils. Mostly, I guess, because they are just more accurate and true, even if they have slightly less impact and meat to their sound. A family member had an interesting comment that the acoustic guitar on the Phils sounded like a guitar while on the SVS it sounded more like a guitar played through a speaker.

On final interesting observation. A track that also highlights the slight difference in the 2 sets. Rodrigo y Gabriela, track call "Tamacun" If you have ever heard them, you can guess lots of quick playing. That all favors the Phils. But at the same time one of the players is slapping the guitar to keep a rhythm and that "thwack" has more oomph on the SVS.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It's that latest pretty girl to the dance. Latest greatest syndrome. Bias.

There is a lot of enthusiasm on forums and reviews. But after the honeymoon period is over, that's when we truly (maybe) know which ones we really want.
No, not in that case. I couldn't put my finger on the problem, at that time I didn't have measurement equipment, but I finally realized the Focus had an upper midrange hoot, in addition to the poor imaging I decided to live with. Back then every speaker had obvious flaws. I just took a long while to understand what was bugging me. It wasn't that I heard something better. Actually, I spent quite a few years listening to other speakers to replace the Legacys, but nothing moved me until I heard the Orions. The Dunlavy Vs came close.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Give yourself more credit - I doubt you're a "lousy tester of speakers." Would you say it's possible that you didn't quite know what sound you were exactly looking for when you purchased the ADS and Legacy Audio Focus speakers? I'm not making accusations here, just asking if it's possible.
No, I knew. I've lived with musicians for much of my adult life, I always had a piano in the house at the very least, I recorded live music and used it to judge speakers, so I knew what I was looking for. Perhaps someone else would have immediately identified the midrange hoot in the Legacy Focus that eventually annoyed me. It was subtle, but I think someone else could easily be more adept.

own one of my favorite speakers, and arguably (objectively) one of the best engineered speakers in the world. If I owned them I would probably stop looking at others, and maybe even quit attending shows. Stop looking to replace them and just enjoy! :):p
Well, I do enjoy them, nearly everyday I'm in town. And they are the first speaker I've ever owned that I've seen my admiration for grow over time, rather than subside. But if you heard a full-range electrostatic - maybe you have - I think you would understand my curiosity. There's just something about the presentation that's more realistic. I've speculated previously that their dipole architecture and massive surface area may be more accurate reproducers of the original acoustic environment in one's listening room, and perhaps that's attracted me. Otherwise, yes I am enjoying the Revels. (If we're going to discuss electrostatics, let's take it to a dedicated thread.)

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Gotta run. It is interesting how much the better bass on the SVS adds to some tracks. Maybe the best course for me is to just add a sub, like the SB12, to the Phils and get the best of both worlds (which I really was trying to avoid doing). Maybe on Friday I will drag my PB10 downstairs and run it with the Phils as a test.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe the best course for me is to just add a sub, like the SB12, to the Phils and get the best of both worlds (which I really was trying to avoid doing). Maybe on Friday I will drag my PB10 downstairs and run it with the Phils as a test.
I suspect that is your best bet, based on what others have posted about the Phil's performance.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
No, I knew. I've lived with musicians for much of my adult life, I always had a piano in the house at the very least, I recorded live music and used it to judge speakers, so I knew what I was looking for. Perhaps someone else would have immediately identified the midrange hoot in the Legacy Focus that eventually annoyed me. It was subtle, but I think someone else could easily be more adept.
I see, thanks. So you consciously chose to live with the flaws. No speaker is perfect - they all have flaws - so we just need to choose the one of who's flaws we can live with. It's good that you chose what you did, though, because we learn through experience, and that's what happened to you. You probably said to yourself, "while this speaker does this and that really well, I cannot live with it falling short in other areas."

I didn't quite know what I was looking for when I jumped into this hobby 14 years ago, but I learned through experience and choices (some of them bad), and now I know exactly what I want and what to listen for. I suspect you'd easily be able to sit down in front of 5 different pairs of speakers (blind or sighted) and pick out the best ones (based on sound alone), even if all were considered good designs. Why? Because even good designs have subtleties and differences that make them stand apart or cause them to fall short. It may take some people more time than others to notice these nuances, but that's okay. It still shouldn't take more than a 30-day trial period if you're listening enough, though. :) In my opinion the "pretty girl" or "honeymoon period" syndrome only happens to the inexperienced or those who don't yet know what they're looking for. Seriously, I know the Salon2's are tops (objectively and because my ears say "WOW"), and I would flat out stop listening to other speakers if I owned them. Of course, I say that now...:D

Well, I do enjoy them, nearly everyday I'm in town. And they are the first speaker I've ever owned that I've seen my admiration for grow over time, rather than subside. But if you heard a full-range electrostatic - maybe you have - I think you would understand my curiosity. There's just something about the presentation that's more realistic. I've speculated previously that their dipole architecture and massive surface area may be more accurate reproducers of the original acoustic environment in one's listening room, and perhaps that's attracted me. Otherwise, yes I am enjoying the Revels. (If we're going to discuss electrostatics, let's take it to a dedicated thread.)
I have heard full range electrostatic speakers, and some of the things that they can do...well, it's almost indescribable other than to say "it sounds so real!" But then their trade-offs have to be weighed, and I simply cannot live with the ones that many electrostatic's suffer from. Or maybe I could if I had the "right" room/listening space. :) I certainly see (hear) the appeal, though (I think the Magnepan 3.7's put the B&W 802D's to shame in most categories).

Okay...you're right - any more tangents should be taken to their own thread or PM. I do feel most of what we talked about is semi on-topic, though, seeing as NHTB is comparing two seemingly good speakers, and he may still listen to others before ultimately deciding.

I suspect that is your best bet, based on what others have posted about the Phil's performance.
I agree 100% with this. I'd would choose a speaker that is more accurate above 200Hz over one that has more heft and weight any day. Why? Because you can always cross over to a capable, well integrated subwoofer and get the best of both worlds.

Edit: if you wouldn't mind, please PM me regarding the Dunlavy V's that you heard. It is one speaker I have always wanted to hear but never have. I've seen it said that he was the greatest loudspeaker designer in the world, so I'd love to get the thoughts of someone who's heard Dunlavy's work but also other world class speakers (and owns the Salon2's). Thanks!

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Gotta run. It is interesting how much the better bass on the SVS adds to some tracks. Maybe the best course for me is to just add a sub, like the SB12, to the Phils and get the best of both worlds (which I really was trying to avoid doing). Maybe on Friday I will drag my PB10 downstairs and run it with the Phils as a test.

Too bad I never ordered Chinese cabinets for the Phil 3's. That sound like what you're looking for.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Too bad I never ordered Chinese cabinets for the Phil 3's. That sound like what you're looking for.
Now there's a solution. It would cost more money, but perhaps sending the Phil 2's back and instead raising the budget for the American made Phil 3's would give him the best of both worlds. $3500 aint so bad for a speaker of that caliber IMO. :)

S

steve1616

Audiophyte
I wonder if the idea that you need a long time to really evaluate a speaker is really the flip side of human nature in that we get bored and want something different. I don't think people get divorced after 5 or 10 years because they finally finish evaluating their spouse and decide that person is a bad match. It is more that what you want changes and you simply want something new and exciting. Unless you are ADTG, and just keep all your exes in a harem.:D

I am doing some more AB testing. A good example of the strengths and weaknesses of each speaker can be found on tracks 7 and 8 of Led Zeppelin IV. Going to CA shines on the Phil2s with its intricate, multiple guitar tracks and arrangement. Just awesome. Then When the Levee Breaks starts and the SVS crushes that track with power and groove and depth. Quite interesting. I will play those 2 on Monday when some friends come over to get their opinions.

Overall, I think that I am basically trying to determine what small weakness each speaker has and whether I can live with that as opposed to what each does best. based on what my gut tells me, I am slightly leaning towards the Phils. Mostly, I guess, because they are just more accurate and true, even if they have slightly less impact and meat to their sound. A family member had an interesting comment that the acoustic guitar on the Phils sounded like a guitar while on the SVS it sounded more like a guitar played through a speaker.

On final interesting observation. A track that also highlights the slight difference in the 2 sets. Rodrigo y Gabriela, track call "Tamacun" If you have ever heard them, you can guess lots of quick playing. That all favors the Phils. But at the same time one of the players is slapping the guitar to keep a rhythm and that "thwack" has more oomph on the SVS.
I agree with what you said. I remember loving some cheapo speakers called DCM's when I was younger because the highs and lows really stood out. The older I got, the more annoyed I got with the speakers to the point where I got a bad migrane everytime I listened to them. They were horrible for movies and you couldn't even understand vocals because the speaker made it seem like voices were just background noise, but boy were they neat when friends were over and my parents weren't home.

I have noticed that most people are drawn to speakers that they think brings out extra details, and I think that sometimes those extra details are peaks in the frequency response. Pretty soon those extra details get annoying. I think sometimes it is the speaker that doesn't wow you that might be the best to a certain extent. The only reason I say that is because I never look at frequency response of speakers until I have listened to them, and the ones that seem the most relaxing and not as detail oriented always seem to have the flattest frequency response graphs. They are just as exciting to listen to, but for some reason you leave relaxed and not with a headache.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
But don't try to pretend you're an angel; you've done the same thing I've done with ADTG with others. :)
I am no angel. I was very rude to Ridikas and I shouldn't have been! I apologized soon after and even sent him a PM. :D I still feel terrible that I treated him that way.

The reason I responded to ADTG's post is because it was a very untrue and frankly rude thing to say in a thread that's primary focus is to compare a couple speakers in a short frame of time. Implying that because it isn't blind or a year long audition that it is a faulty approach was unnecessary and was obviously stated out of bias for his own methodology.
I can understand your response if that's how you took it, but I don't think it was meant that way.. :D

I ask that you "ignore" him, or, well..ignore him so arguments don't get started. I don't think you two will be going to any ball games together anytime soon, but there's gotta be a way that we can coexist on Audioholics.com :D

Perhaps I missed it in one of the other 928 pages, but why do you want to avoid subs, NewHTbuyer? :D

Last edited:
N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Just blindfolded, not tied up. :p

As far as subwoofers, there were three reasons. First, cost. I am hoping to get the full range sound without a sub. Second, the room is right under the master bedroom, so subsonic stuff will make nighttime listening difficult when my wield is asleep. Third, I did not want to deal with integrating a sub.

If I end up keeping the Phil 2s, I will probably not get a sub right away, as I have spent a lot of time on this purchase. I will probably sit back and really enjoy the new set with my cheapo HK stereo receiver which has no bass management. Then, maybe around the time of the next RMAF, I will start looking into better electronics with bass management and then add a nice compact musical sub, likely the SVS SB12.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis