$1400.00 for LCR 80% HT/TV 20% home music

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Matt34

Matt34

I'm actually looking at a new setup based on either the KEF Q900 vs the Klipsch RF-62 II for my living room. I think I like the KEF's more but I can get the matching Klipsch center plus the towers for the price of the Q900.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm actually looking at a new setup based on either the KEF Q900 vs the Klipsch RF-62 II for my living room. I think I like the KEF's more but I can get the matching Klipsch center plus the towers for the price of the Q900.
I think either will sound great, but the KEF has better measurements. :D

Matt34

Matt34

Yes and plus the KEFs aren't rear ported or as deep (15.4" for the RF-62 vs. 12") so will be easier to place in a room.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I was all set on the focal, and now everyone start talking about KEF. Now I'm in the middle again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I was all set on the focal, and now everyone start talking about KEF. Now I'm in the middle again.
(Un?)Fortunately there are a lot of good choices out there. Can you tell us a bit about your room, how loud you like to listen, etc? Might help narrow down the selection a bit.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
(Un?)Fortunately there are a lot of good choices out there. Can you tell us a bit about your room, how loud you like to listen, etc? Might help narrow down the selection a bit.
Room is 11x17 with a vaulted ceiling

TV and couch are opposite each other the short way so 10ish ft. I have a SVS sub in there. Speakers being pushed by a rxv667.

Does that help?

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I've been looking at a front 3 for under 2,000 myself, only including towers I made the following list:

NHT absolute tower with c2 center if you shop around can get for just over 1300
HTD level 3 around 1000
PSB Image T6, a tad over 1400 though
Boston Acoustics RS series, being discontinued so you can find the 334 towers for 450 each, and the center refurbed from A4L for 250
Aperion Verus Forte, towers themselves are 1400 so would be out of the price range
obviously the Focal and EMP tek that have already been mentioned.
I would also add the Boston A360's if you can stand white and you have the room you could do 5 towers for 1000.

It seems that room placement is an issue in this thread and would be for me as well so if anyone can chime in as I've noticed in reviews some of these speakers can sound boomy if not placed over 24 inches from the rear wall which would seem too far for anything placed alongside a television.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I've been looking at a front 3 for under 2,000 myself, only including towers I made the following list:

NHT absolute tower with c2 center if you shop around can get for just over 1300
HTD level 3 around 1000
PSB Image T6, a tad over 1400 though
Boston Acoustics RS series, being discontinued so you can find the 334 towers for 450 each, and the center refurbed from A4L for 250
Aperion Verus Forte, towers themselves are 1400 so would be out of the price range
obviously the Focal and EMP tek that have already been mentioned.
I would also add the Boston A360's if you can stand white and you have the room you could do 5 towers for 1000.

It seems that room placement is an issue in this thread and would be for me as well so if anyone can chime in as I've noticed in reviews some of these speakers can sound boomy if not placed over 24 inches from the rear wall which would seem too far for anything placed alongside a television.
Thanks.

I can't seem to find much of anything for reviews of the focal 716v other than a tech radar review from 07.

The EMP just erks me that they sell the b stocks for under $400.

I wonder which one is a better speaker. Love the prices. But hate not being able to hear them. Considering what the msrp was on the 716 s when they came out makes it sound like a great deal, but msrp is just a number they make up.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Does that help?
It's definitely a start. In a 10x17 space with what is presumably a decent sub in support, you could probably get away with a very good bookshelf like the Q300, NHT Classic 3, Ascend Sierra and still hit satisfying volumes.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I am currently leaning towards the NHT's at this moment in time. They are sealed, so placement is easy. The center is a true 3 way as well as the towers, the finish looks good, and I can always add matching surrounds later if I feel the need, plus they offer 30 day in home with free return shipping. The issue with the Focals for me is the rear surrounds, while not vital if I do decide to add them matching the finish will be difficult, but it is a good deal.

I am also very intrigued by the Boston RS series, the problem is since stock is low, no one near me has them to demo, but that does mean you are getting the speakers at about 40%, but again like you said MSRP means nothing it's what you actually pay for them that is the issue.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
I am currently leaning towards the NHT's at this moment in time. They are sealed, so placement is easy. The center is a true 3 way as well as the towers, the finish looks good, and I can always add matching surrounds later if I feel the need, plus they offer 30 day in home with free return shipping. The issue with the Focals for me is the rear surrounds, while not vital if I do decide to add them matching the finish will be difficult, but it is a good deal.

I am also very intrigued by the Boston RS series, the problem is since stock is low, no one near me has them to demo, but that does mean you are getting the speakers at about 40%, but again like you said MSRP means nothing it's what you actually pay for them that is the issue.
You consider these EMPs? I wonder how they compare with the focals...

I have some Boston's. I don't think they are the quality they used to be.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have the EMP's on my list, and I have actually seen the black towers in stock somewhere but I thought I would lean towards the red. I just think the NHT's would be of better quality, but I certainly would not mind demoing both. I would like to audition these two and the HTD level 3's at the same time, but the HTD charges for return shipping, and the EMP's are out of stock direct, but I'm not in a great hurry so I can wait.

I set my budget a little higher than yours, but honestly I don't see anything more expensive that would be better unless I go over 2500 with the center.

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
Where were they in stock at?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

R

robb99

Audioholic Intern
If you all had to choose would you go for the EMP 55ti or the focal 814?

I think I have finally narrowed it down between the two choices.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a never ending story. That's why I just own most of the brands. :eek:

EVERYONE will like a different speaker.

IMO, both the KEF Q & Focal Chorus are great sounding speakers. I think you would be happy with either. They both lack bass, but as long as you have subs, it's okay.

So you might factor in aesthetic, MSRP, etc. Both brands are "high-end". The Focal have their $200K Utopia, while the KEF have their $200K Muon. The Q is made in China, while the Focal is made in France. I think the Q has better FR than the Chorus (like +/-2.5dB vs +/-3.5dB). But I think they both sound great. I think my 826V sound great. The Q900 sound great too.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
I have not heard either, but by reputation, I would go with the Focal.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis