20 Albums You Should Own, But Probably Don't

100r1

Junior Audioholic
I have many but one that deserves added to ones collection for showing off your sound system is Frederick Fennell, The Cleveland Symphonic Winds

This was a cutting edge album "First Digital recording". I made a few people drop their jaw with the bass drum thunder when I first got this album in "vinyl" back in the late 70's. If you have a music background in playing a wind instrument, you'll love it!

Here is a little more info:

Frederick Fennell was responsible for making recording industry history when he made the very first digital recording with Telarc in 1978. It was to be the first commercial classical recording produced in the United States, and it helped to launch the technology worldwide. World Book Encyclopedia’s Yearbook for 1978 tagged the recording as “the bass drum heard ‘round the world,” as it showcased the advantages of the new digital technology and Telarc’s unique recording style. The release captured a huge audience of audio fans around the world. Featuring Gustav Holst’s Suite for Wind Ensemble (CD-80038), Cleveland, Ohio native Fennell conducted a hand-picked group of musicians, most all members of the Cleveland Orchestra, for this historic project. In 1983 with the launch of CDs, it would be also become one of the first recordings to be released in that format as well.

Recorded at Severance Hall in April 1978, the Cleveland Symphonic Winds bring the brilliance of 18th century composers Holst, Handel, and Bach to the 20th century. They coax 200-year-old ideas off the pages of music using a well-balanced combination of dexterity and lung capacity. The sounds produced by the air that resonates through the instruments of the Cleveland Symphonic Winds are simply breathtaking.

Gustav Holst’s Two Suites for Military Band are like the mortar that binds the building blocks of military band instrumentation since the end of World War II. Modern compositions are often held together by familiar melodic ideas from these pieces.

Fantasia in G, originally composed by Bach, has been arranged here by Richard Franko Goldman. Intended for the performance resources of "today’s large wind band—a sort of living organ from which the necessary continuous outpouring of sound is limited only by the skill with which the players provide the breath that produces it."

The Music for the Royal Fireworks was composed by Handel to celebrate the 1748 Peace of Aix-La-Chapelle. However, the celebratory fireworks accidentally ignited and consumed in flames, all that was prepared for the occasion. Regarded as one of the best pieces ever written for winds, it was incidentally arranged for orchestras due to the inferiority of the organized wind bands of Handel’s time.
TRACKLISTING
DISC ONE

* 1. Holst: First Suite in E-flat: I. Chaconne
* 2. Holst: First Suite in E-flat: II. Intermezzo
* 3. Holst: First Suite in E-flat: III. March
* 4. Holst: Second Suite in F: I. March
* 5. Holst: Second Suite in F: II. Song without Words
* 6. Holst: Second Suite in F: III. Song of the Blacksmith
* 7. Holst: Second Suite in F: IV. Fantasia on the "Dargason)
* 8. Bach: Fantasia in G Major - Gravement
* 9. Handel: Music for The Royal Fireworks: Ouverture
* 10. Handel: Music for The Royal Fireworks: Bourree
* 11. Handel: Music for The Royal Fireworks: La Paix
* 12. Handel: Music for The Royal Fireworks: La Rejouissance
* 13. Handel: Music for The Royal Fireworks: Minuet/Trio

D

dhead1

Enthusiast
100r1,

I have ordered the CD today and will let you know how I like it ASAP. Thanks for the review.

Duane

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
America - "Here and Now" a 2-disc set from one of my favorites back in the '70s. The first disc is all new music. Most songs sound quite good, a couple have yet to grow on me. The second disc is like a greatest hits recorded live at XM Theater. Not bad.

W

WayneC

Enthusiast
Here's my list

Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love
John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess - An Evening With Petrucci and Rudess
Doves - Lost Souls
Live - Mental Jewelry
Garbage - Beautiful
Steve Vai - Fire Garden
Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music...
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Rush - Counterparts
311 - Transistor
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Soup
Garden State - Soundtrack
AC/DC - Powerage
Genesis - Abacab
Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast
Incubus - Make Yourself
REM - Life's Rich Pageant
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo...
Ice Cube - Death Certificate

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
8 for now -no order

Pete Townshend - WHITE CITY - Love all his solo stuff, also Simon Philips
drumming on his albums.

Gomez - Liquid Skin -Underrated Brit Rock band...mix of rock,blues
mixed with modern music.

Kasabian - S/T - another modern brit rock band.......the song
"club foot" is one of the best songs in the
21st century...awesome twin bass attack

Cornershop - When i was born
for the 7th time - brit band with electronica ,rock mixed with
indian influences..good beats too

Los Lobos -Colossal Head - Brit band from east L.A. LOL anyways
overlooked album ,of good mix of latin and
rock and roll - los lobos style.

Big Sugar - Brothers and Sisters
are you Ready? - Great Canadian rock band ...singer/guitar
player Gordie Johnson...has lots of 70's
influences in his rock and roll..big heavy
guitars, mixed with a bit of reggae? yes
reggae,,,and it works .there best album,
but check out others too.

Daniel Lanois - For the beauty
of wynona/Acadia - Producer extrordanaire..(u2, p.gabriel. bob
Dylan, etc) has many solo albums... but
these 2. are so amazing..musically, sound
wise...great work from another canadian[

T

theman4455

Enthusiast
Ok, I'm gonna make some suggestions... don't laugh.

1) 01-08-66 (The Grateful Dead) I know, a concert date, but if you're familiar with them you know their taping policy. I got this online in MP3 (but surely out there in lossless) and it's STILL beautiful.

2) On The Third Day (Electric Light Orchestra) This is just a great album. Esscentially a concept album with other songs, this one is very well written and very well produced. One of my favourites.

3) 04-29-71 (The Grateful Dead) Another concert, this one IS out there in lossless from REELS. Not cassettes REELS. (I think, bad memory, don't quote me!)

4) The Six Wives Of Henry VIII (Rick Wakeman) Ok... what to say... Just an
awesome album.

5) Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd) This is one of their greatest in my honest opinion. I was always blown away by it but don't know why...

Really all I can think of. (Just wanted to voice my opinions. :))

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
5) Atom Heart Mother (Pink Floyd) This is one of their greatest in my honest opinion. I was always blown away by it but don't know why...
I know you said don't laugh but :p. You're the first person I've ever heard of being blown away by that album. But to each their own.:D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I know you said don't laugh but :p. You're the first person I've ever heard of being blown away by that album. But to each their own.:D
I like that one. I wouldn't say blown away by it, but I definitely like it.

P

pandabighead

Audiophyte
can i through these 2 into the ring, the kick inside from kate bush, an awesome debut ablum but written a 17 year old just makes it all the better and gordon from bare naked ladies, just a happy album nothing fancy.
pbh

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
Lyle Lovett - I Love Everybody
This is NOT his big band stuff. Acoustic gtr with some bass, drums, the occasional strings. Bluesy jazzy folk rock rolled into one.

Seven Mary Three - Rock Crown
From the acoustic opener to crunchy gtr based rock with raspy vox.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Great songs, decent recording, GREAT dynamics. Through a good system with plenty of headroom, it sucks you right in.

Tripping Daisy - Elastic Firecracker
Punky trippy rock.

UFO - Force It
Great gtr rock

Off to check out some of the suggestions from others here!
Happy Holidays.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Great songs, decent recording, GREAT dynamics. Through a good system with plenty of headroom, it sucks you right in.
Love this one!:cool:

Not many do...

SBF1

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Love this one!:cool:

Not many do...

SBF1
From a purely musical/SQ viewpoint, it is great. The lyrics, however, are just too dark and depressing. When Waters sang "...and you'll never see their smiling faces anymore" with the voiceover of the two frightened kids saying "Mommy! Daddy!" he completely lost me.:(

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Well, you've got good taste.

Toadies - Rubberneck = Great
APC, Live, Tool, I own most of thier work.

And I too own and listen to Nat Merchant Tigerlilly.

Great minds think alike!:)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Same here. Took me a bit of time to warm up to it though, but once I did I was hooked. I like a large part of this album better than "The Wall."
It had me from the begining...the funny thing is I generally listen to up tempo stuff.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
From a purely musical/SQ viewpoint, it is great. The lyrics, however, are just too dark and depressing. When Waters sang "...and you'll never see their smiling faces anymore" with the voiceover of the two frightened kids saying "Mommy! Daddy!" he completely lost me.:(
I hear ya Joe.

I do tend to like dark thought provoking music. I guess it's the suffering artist coming out in the music that draws me in. I do believe he was being very real though.

But then I like Sammy Hagar to lighten the mood!

It's all about moderation. Keeps me balanced. (or at least tries too!:D)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis