Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My bad, I missed that you do have a 4K, 14ft yep big room. I had a 4K 50" I live in a Apt, and sit about 9 ft from my HDTV and from what I have read up on 4K tv's is you have to sit in the sweet spot if I remember right about 6 to 10 ft in order to enjoy the full potential of the 4K. I returned it for the 1080 wasn't any 4K material out 2 years ago. But I feel ya on the AVR thing I picked up a unit just 7 weeks ago and I am looking at the Yammy 2050 with lust. Don't really need it I want it for the pre-out to add a Parasound amp to drive my mains that I will be upgrading to...lol..yep dam dat rabbit hole!o_O
It's gone now, but I tossed the 2050 in the mix because I found one for $699 on Joe's AV. I thought I'd have a little more time! We're really closing in on that 4200!

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Man, I agree with you about the 4300 100%. I'd love to have the app to play with but I'm stretching it at $800. Anything more than that will be a strain, and this is all me, I just can't justify another $300 for it. I'm leaning more toward the 4200 now. It'll be a lot simpler, it'll still give me a coulpe more db of headroom, no worries about DRM and I already have a 4K tv (proofreading this last sentence makes it an even more compelling option in my head, where it counts :p). I am buying a receiver with preouts for a reason too. I can always add an amp. The ones from monoprice look very nice...
Them monoprice amps are a very nice value, their 5 channel amp reminds me of the build quality of the XPA 5 EMO amp I had, nice big power supply lots of caps and a very good price. I had forgot about them dudes...umm...going look it over again!...be right back! ps., ATi builds monoprice amps anyways so for the price yeah I see one in my near future too.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Them monoprice amps are a very nice value, their 5 channel amp reminds me of the build quality of the XPA 5 EMO amp I had, nice big power supply lots of caps and a very good price. I had forgot about them dudes...umm...go look it over again!...be right back!
Lol. I think 2 or 3 channels would be more than sufficient for me. If not I can add more with Monoprice IIRC.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Lol. I think 2 or 3 channels would be more than sufficient for me. If not I can add more with Monoprice IIRC.
whats IIRC? But yeah 2 channel monoprice added to drive just the L/R mains and let the AVR drive the center and surrounds fits the bill for me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey poges, sorry about the hit n run earlier. Iirc off hand, the marantz 6011/7011 are the sisters to the 4200/4300.(not 100% sure can check later) Also, if you're serious about external amps, don't forget about pro amps. Like I said before, Yamaha and Crown offer super good value. That might allow you to focus on an avr that has all the features but doesn't make you pay for the power. Yes you'll trade it for external power, but for example, the 250wpc in my Yamaha is enough to crush my avr's 135wpc which weighs 40lbs and is not a slouch in any respect. Just some more to chew on. Check ya later...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey poges, sorry about the hit n run earlier. Iirc off hand, the marantz 6011/7011 are the sisters to the 4200/4300.(not 100% sure can check later) Also, if you're serious about external amps, don't forget about pro amps. Like I said before, Yamaha and Crown offer super good value. That might allow you to focus on an avr that has all the features but doesn't make you pay for the power. Yes you'll trade it for external power, but for example, the 250wpc in my Yamaha is enough to crush my avr's 135wpc which weighs 40lbs and is not a slouch in any respect. Just some more to chew on. Check ya later...
Thanks. That was a piece of info I've been waiting for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Man, I agree with you about the 4300 100%. I'd love to have the app to play with but I'm stretching it at $800. Anything more than that will be a strain, and this is all me, I just can't justify another $300 for it. I'm leaning more toward the 4200 now. It'll be a lot simpler, it'll still give me a coulpe more db of headroom, no worries about DRM and I already have a 4K tv (proofreading this last sentence makes it an even more compelling option in my head, where it counts :p). I am buying a receiver with preouts for a reason too. I can always add an amp. The ones from monoprice look very nice...
A couple more dB headroom, you sure about that? And that it's really worth much? Pre-outs as an option sort of eliminates that discussion....

I prefer avrs with pre-outs just for the various amp options....better to have the options than not IMO.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A couple more dB headroom, you sure about that? And that it's really worth much? Pre-outs as an option sort of eliminates that discussion....

I prefer avrs with pre-outs just for the various amp options....better to have the options than not IMO.
Nope. Not sure. I'm guessing. It would be going from 80w to 125w. I know it's not hugely significant. And yes, I know preouts kind of kills the conversation. It is one of the deciding factors on why I want a new receiver. Future amplification.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH you're just wanting to upgrade something that isn't essential....wait and save!

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I can't help it! I have new receiver fever! :p
lol...Smooth man I can dig it...lol. I just upgraded my AVR said to myself, 100 X 2 all the latest processing formats good enough for the speakers I'm using it with. low-end speakers unit performs well surround is nicely done, 2.1 done up nicely too.... till I went over to my son's house and heard dem LSi 15's with dem EMO amps came back to my apt...turned on my system and said, self be dammed if I will do without some LSIM's! and a AVR with preouts! Oct can't come fast enough!!! I got da fever too!!!:p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
OTOH you're just wanting to upgrade something that isn't essential....wait and save!
So... October. That's when the price slashing for newer models begins? My budget will probably be about the same. I'm getting itchy, but I appreciate what you're saying. I've been wanting a big boy receiver since before I joined this forum. I'm thinking I can hang tight until October if it's worth the wait.

*Edit: I'm always gonna remember the 4520 as the one that got away... :p

T

Tankman

Audioholic
So... October. That's when the price slashing for newer models begins? My budget will probably be about the same. I'm getting itchy, but I appreciate what you're saying. I've been wanting a big boy receiver since before I joined this forum. I'm thinking I can hang tight until October if it's worth the wait.

*Edit: I'm always gonna remember the 4520 as the one that got away... :p
I hope Polk runs another half off sale come Oct. My coin will be much to do better than. If not, than my 2nd choice RTi A7's are in..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

1.9db, to be exact according the the online SPL calculator. So I guess you're right... :p

I forgot to update! I didn't go with any of the ones we discussed here! Kept it in the family tho...

Screenshot_2017-05-27-12-00-25-1.png

Found out it has the editor app support, MultEQ XT32 and pretty much everything else I'm looking for, close to my budget. Of course I picked the best time to order, as usual. Saturday on a holiday weekend. They haven't even updated the status yet. I'm guessing by Friday or Saturday. The wait begins!

T

Tankman

Audioholic
1.9db, to be exact according the the online SPL calculator. So I guess you're right... :p

I forgot to update! I didn't go with any of the ones we discussed here! Kept it in the family tho...

View attachment 21055

Found out it has the editor app support, MultEQ XT32 and pretty much everything else I'm looking for, close to my budget. Of course I picked the best time to order, as usual. Saturday on a holiday weekend. They haven't even updated the status yet. I'm guessing by Friday or Saturday. The wait begins!
Nice choice!...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1.9db, to be exact according the the online SPL calculator. So I guess you're right...

View attachment 21055

You forgot their special HDAMs ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Don't know how I missed this one. Congrats! That's gonna be a looooong wait amigo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis