Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd like to get a serious receiver. It doesn't have to be the newest or the most current. I know I want either Denon or Marantz for Audyssey.

Some of the things I'm looking for are:
•Audyssey XT32
•2 true sub outs so they can be eq'd separately
•Pre outs for a possible amplifier down the road
•125 - 145 wpc (2 channels driven, 8 ohms). The more the better. 170 would be doubling my current receiver's capabilities, but I know that's a tall order for a receiver.
•5.2 is fine, but understand most of the better receivers have 7 or more channels.
•4K and HDR compatible
•Atmos and some the newest surround formats are meh for me. I have a 5.2 setup and I'm happy with it. I don't need any of the newest ones and I don't plan on adding any more speakers.

I'm just looking around right now, but would like some suggestions for maybe a good refurb model maybe even a couple of generations back that will fill the criteria. I'm not in a hurry, my current receiver does pretty well, but I do tax it sometimes. I'd like a little more headroom. The biggest thing I want out of this is the separate sub outs and Audyssey MulitQ XT32. Oh, and 4K/HDR.

Budget unknown. Most likely ~$500 USD. I don't even know if that's realistic.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your budget and XT32 don't often go together but maybe a good deal on a Denon 4200 or 4300...maybe refurb at A4L would get you close. FWIW the models of avr with Audyssey's XT32/SubEQ feature allowing for two subs is to provide separate setting of level and delay but XT32 eq's them together (which is generally the recommendation for subs anyways). I doubt much on the used market would show up to be much of an alternative.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3200w/denon-avr-x3200w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

4K and HDR with higher power probably isn't going to happen at $500. 150+ watts are usually the top models and even used they will not be so cheap. You may be better off looking for the minimum features you want in a newer, lower model receiver and picking up an amp.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3200w/denon-avr-x3200w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

4K and HDR with higher power probably isn't going to happen at $500. 150+ watts are usually the top models and even used they will not be so cheap. You may be better off looking for the minimum features you want in a newer, lower model receiver and picking up an amp.
Okay, I really like the x4000 and it's in the ballpark. Power isn't at the top of the list, but would be nice. 125 wpc will still give me a little bit more headroom over my current 80 wpc. HDR isn't a complete deal breaker either. you gave me some pretty good options there. I'm all over XT32 and sub eq.

I have a tough room. I sit pretty much right smack in the middle and I read that's probably the worst spot. when I move back or closer bass response seems better. Can't really move the house around to accomodate either. I'm hoping to be able to dial things in better.

*Edit: Also considered a wireless option for signal transmission to my subs for more flexibility in placement.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that X4000 seems to hit most of your points or comes really close for the price and it will at least have a minimum warranty from them. You can add an amp too, just for the mains down the road if it isn't enough for the ultras.

Move seat position even a foot or so can make a difference and is often good enough to fix some issues.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, bumping this and making a revision or 2 as to what I want. I'm gonna be coming into some money soon and can bump the budget up to as much as maybe $800 (600 being more preferable).

I'd like to get a serious receiver. It doesn't have to be the newest or the most current. I know I want either Denon or Marantz for Audyssey.
Some of the things I'm looking for are:
•Audyssey XT32
•2 true sub outs so they can be eq'd separately
•Pre outs for a possible amplifier down the road
•125 - 145 wpc (2 channels driven, 8 ohms). The more the better. 160 would be doubling my current receiver's capabilities, but I know that's a tall order for a receiver.
5.2 5.1- 7.1 is fine. Currently have enough speakers for 7.2 but only running 5.2 as of now. I do have another set of old speakers I could use for rear or height channels if I so choose down the road.
•4K and HDR compatible (am leaning toward being happy with 1080p if it helps $-wise)
•Preferably HDCP 2.2 compliant, unless there's a workaround.
•Atmos and some the newest surround formats are meh for me. I have a 5.2 setup and I'm happy with it. I don't need any of the newest codecs, but I don't plan on adding any more speakers I may add 2 more.
I'm just looking around right now getting serious now and would like some suggestions for maybe a good refurb model maybe even a couple of generations back that will fill the criteria. I'm not in a hurry, my current receiver does pretty well, but I do tax it sometimes. I'd like a little more headroom. The biggest thing I want out of this is the separate sub outs and Audyssey MulitQ XT32 and 4K/HDR (no HDR isn't a deal-breaker though. My current tv doesn't even support it, but would like to future proof some.

Budget Most likely ~$6- 800 USD, would like to be closer to 6, but willing to pay a little bit more for a little bit of future proofing.

Here are a few that caught my eye.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html?gclid=CL6NgJHE_NMCFYF8fgodaJwCfg

This one I never even heard of, but looks promising.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr4520ci/denon-avr-4520ci-9.2-ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4100w/denon-avr-x4100w-7.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

I'm very unfamiliar with Marantz receivers/models, but would absolutely consider one that has what I want for the right price. I'm pretty sure HDMI 2.2 will be something I need to look for too.

I'll be pulling the trigger within a week or 2 on this. I'm kinda banking on XT32's ability to eq my sub frequencies, or would I still need to get a Umik/MiniDSP combo? I'm pretty set on upgrading receivers one way or another. Not so much that I NEED a new receiver. I WANT a new (refurbished 3yr warranty where applicable) receiver. Really liking the 4520 for specs, but I'm not sure how current everything is with that model. Really liking the 4100 for price.

Last edited:
T

Tankman

Audioholic
The 4520 seems to be a nice unit, I just looked it up on the net, it's amp design is nice, left and right bank design, aluminum heat sinks and comes in at just under 38lbs it's got beef for sure. 150 X 2 into 8 ohms I do believe at 4 ohms that amp would push at 200 X 2 easily. It was one of Sound and Visions top picks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 4520 seems to be a nice unit, I just looked it up on the net, it's amp design is nice, left and right bank design, aluminum heat sinks and comes in at just under 38lbs it's got beef for sure. 150 X 2 into 8 ohms I do believe at 4 ohms that amp would push at 200 X 2 easily. It was one of Sound and Visions top picks.
It's the one I know the least about. Definitely has the power I'm looking for though. I gotta dig a little more for info on the features and whether or not they're current enough. Like HDCP 2.2, and other necessary staples for my modern setup. I'm all digital now.

I'm also wide open to suggestions too. Anything from Marantz that's comparable in performance and features I'll seriously consider. I've never shopped Marantz before though and don't even know where to start.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can't remember all the connectivity stuff off hand but I do remember the 4520 is a beast, and was a top pick for good reason. HD has one. I'm sure he'd elaborate a little for you. You might consider doing more of a mid range avr and then putting a pro amp on your mains. Crown and Yamaha are good choices. I use a Yamaha p2500s on my mains. Got it for 200 bucks. The newer denons seem to carry the torch well, but I personally like the look of the marantz. Even though the porthole is useless. Lol.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
For me, HDCP 2.2 is important, unless you just past the video signal through the AVR. My HDTV isn't 4K, so I just past the video signal through my unit. I never use the video processing on my AVR. Never seen the reason for that my HDTV does the job nicely. I never really saw the point of having a AVR processes the video when HDTV's do that better. To me it's a waste, If they would just put out a AVR without all the processing and beef up the amp side just makes more sense to me anyways.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't remember all the connectivity stuff off hand but I do remember the 4520 is a beast, and was a top pick for good reason. HD has one. I'm sure he'd elaborate a little for you. You might consider doing more of a mid range avr and then putting a pro amp on your mains. Crown and Yamaha are good choices. I use a Yamaha p2500s on my mains. Got it for 200 bucks. The newer denons seem to carry the torch well, but I personally like the look of the marantz. Even though the porthole is useless. Lol.
Well, like I said, I've never shopped for Marantz and have no idea what they have comparable to the 3 I posted above.

Which mid tier amp has all the preouts and XT32?

*Edit: I've seen @lovinthehd talk about his receiver, just forgot it was what I was looking at. IIRC he's in no hurry to part with it.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For me, HDCP 2.2 is important, unless you just past the video signal through the AVR. My HDTV isn't 4K, so I just past the video signal through my unit. I never use the video processing on my AVR. Never seen the reason for that my HDTV does the job nicely. I never really saw the point of having a AVR processes the video when HDTV's do that better. To me it's a waste, If they would just put out a AVR without all the processing and beef up the amp side just makes more sense to me anyways.
It makes sense to me to just pass the signal and bypass the receiver's processing. I have that feature, I think. The tv will still show a picture when I turn the receiver off. I'll dig into the menu a little more.

So if the 4520 allows me to just pass the video signal will I still be able to get 4k? I'm becoming convinced that I could probably do without it and be good with 1080p.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Okay, bumping this and making a revision or 2 as to what I want. I'm gonna be coming into some money soon and can bump the budget up to as much as maybe $800 (600 being more preferable).
See how easy that was? Now hold onto that and save, or wait for it to happen again and get what you really want. You've been living well with what you have so far. What's a few more months. Before you know it, we're going to be hearing Christmas tunes and Black Friday deals. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
See how easy that was? Now hold onto that and save, or wait for it to happen again and get what you really want. You've been living well with what you have so far. What's a few more months. Before you know it, we're going to be hearing Christmas tunes and Black Friday deals. :D
I'm thinking about a future tv too. If I step down I could go back to 1080p and still be happy. I could probably find a pretty nice larger tv too. My 58" is too small for my room. Either way my current tv will do 1080p too. I've streamed quite a bit in 4k from Netflix and DTV has some (limited) content. I haven't even watched a 4k Blu Ray yet and I've had it at least a year now.

On a side note, how would you rent a 4k Blu Ray? Is buy to own only?

T

Tankman

Audioholic
It makes sense to me to just pass the signal and bypass the receiver's processing. I have that feature, I think. The tv will still show a picture when I turn the receiver off. I'll dig into the menu a little more.

So if the 4520 allows me to just pass the video signal will I still be able to get 4k? I'm becoming convinced that I could probably do without it and be good with 1080p.
The 4200 is a very current unit, Its 125 X 2 into 8 ohms but it's no where's near the build quality of the 4520. With that said the 4200 comes with a 3 year warranty and comes in at just under 28 lbs, it no slouch. That 4520 should pass 4K video. I am like you my HDTV is 1080p and I have no desire upgrade to 4K so like you come Oct I will be looking at Yammys 2050 or the 3050. Like you I want pre-amp outs.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm thinking about a future tv too. If I step down I could go back to 1080p and still be happy. I could probably find a pretty nice larger tv too. My 58" is too small for my room. Either way my current tv will do 1080p too. I've streamed quite a bit in 4k from Netflix and DTV has some (limited) content. I haven't even watched a 4k Blu Ray yet and I've had it at least a year now.

On a side note, how would you rent a 4k Blu Ray? Is buy to own only?
I have no idea about Blu Ray. Not a fan of video or movies. I just know if I want something, I will get it. . . .eventually. I don't mind being behind the trends.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The 4200 is a very current unit, Its 125 X 2 into 8 ohms but it's no where's near the build quality of the 4520. With that said the 4200 comes with a 3 year warranty and comes in at just under 28 lbs, it no slouch. That 4520 should pass 4K video. I am like you my HDTV is 1080p and I have no desire upgrade to 4K so like you come Oct I will be looking at Yammys 2050 or the 3050. Like you I want pre-amp outs.
I should have clarified that I currently own a 4k tv, but intend to eventually upgrade to a larger model. I have a large room and sit about 14' from the monitor. If I go 1080p I can probably get a nicer, larger tv that much sooner without breaking the bank.

The build quality is the most attractive thing about the 4520 for me. It's a beast and that price is pretty fantastic for what it is even still. If I understand correctly there could possibly be occasional issues with not having 2.2 and it's a little behind, but still relevant enough? I'm still slavering over it though. I want that amp section.

On the other hand, as you pointed out, The 4200 is more current and no slouch itself. Decisions, decisions. I'm kinda waiting for HD to pop in too. He has one, and he's the one who kicked me down the rabbit hole at the beginning! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I suppose if I go with the 4200, if I'm not happy with the amp, it wouldn't be too much to add amplification using it as a pre. Kinda the whole idea, really. The 4150 would be doubling my current capabilities though... I'm talking in circles now. Guide me for I am lost! :p

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I should have clarified that I currently own a 4k tv, but intend to eventually upgrade to a larger model. I have a large room and sit about 14' from the monitor. If I go 1080p I can probably get a nicer, larger tv that much sooner without breaking the bank.

The build quality is the most attractive thing about the 4520 for me. It's a beast and that price is pretty fantastic for what it is even still. If I understand correctly there could possibly be occasional issues with not having 2.2 and it's a little behind, but still relevant enough? I'm still slavering over it though. I want that amp section.

On the other hand, as you pointed out, The 4200 is more current and no slouch itself. Decisions, decisions. I'm kinda waiting for HD to pop in too. He has one, and he's the one who kicked me down the rabbit hole at the beginning! :p
My bad, I missed that you do have a 4K, 14ft yep big room. I had a 4K 50" I live in a Apt, and sit about 9 ft from my HDTV and from what I have read up on 4K tv's is you have to sit in the sweet spot if I remember right about 6 to 10 ft in order to enjoy the full potential of the 4K. I returned it for the 1080 wasn't any 4K material out 2 years ago. But I feel ya on the AVR thing I picked up a unit just 7 weeks ago and I am looking at the Yammy 2050 with lust. Don't really need it I want it for the pre-out to add a Parasound amp to drive my mains that I will be upgrading to...lol..yep dam dat rabbit hole!o_O

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis