20% Tax on Items from Mexico to pay for wall...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When people enter the US illegaly the law should be rewritten to remove the clause allowing citizenship to children born to them. When any law is being abused for personal gain, that law should be well peer revised.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
When people enter the US illegaly the law should be rewritten to remove the clause allowing citizenship to children born to them. When any law is being abused for personal gain, that law should be well peer revised.
That "clause" is in the constitution, and it's not a law statute, it's a right in the constitution. To remove it requires a Constitutional Amendment.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That "clause" is in the constitution, and it's not a law statute, it's a right in the constitution. To remove it requires a Constitutional Amendment.
Exactly my point fwiw. Congress has skirted their obligation! If you want to argue the constitution or anything regarding this , it should be open for debate on the the merits. You claim to be a consititutionlist , are you sure that this feature is a birth right? My opinion and yours doesn't find precedent after the fact

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Exactly my point fwiw. Congress has skirted their obligation! If you want to argue the constitution or anything regarding this , it should be open for debate on the the merits. You claim to be a consititutionlist , are you sure that this feature is a birth right? My opinion and yours doesn't find precedent after the fact
"Exactly my point fwiw."

So are you aware what a constitutional amendment entails?

"Congress has skirted their obligation!"

A constitutional amendment would require approval from congress, both houses, among other things, I'll let you google it.

"If you want to argue the constitution or anything regarding this , it should be open for debate on the the merits."

The fact that it requires a constitutional amendment isn't up for debate. Citizenship by birthright has been afirmed multiple times by the supreme court.

"You claim to be a consititutionlist , are you sure that this feature is a birth right?"

Read the 14th Amendment yourself.

"My opinion and yours doesn't find precedent after the fact"

Whatever this means???

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, you assume that I am ignorant of the constitution. So should I assume that you cherry pick your stance? The matter of illegal Aliens getting birth rights has never been argued to a point. You probably assume I'm a peer, but I feel confident that I'm at least 20+ years older than you are. That doesn't make me smarter than you or right, but it does make me more informed. That information over the years does give me a different perspective, right or wrong. Maybe be open to differing opinions before you take such extreme stances. I love this country, and wholeheartedly respect it's history. I'll say again, Congress has a extremely difficult time correcting laws, making laws, or an interpretation of laws. I have no tolerance for gray areas in respect to this topic. Either your legal or illegal

"Exactly my point fwiw."
So are you aware what a constitutional amendment entails?

"Congress has skirted their obligation!"

A constitutional amendment would require approval from congress, both houses, among other things, I'll let you google it.

"If you want to argue the constitution or anything regarding this , it should be open for debate on the the merits."

The fact that it requires a constitutional amendment isn't up for debate. Citizenship by birthright has been afirmed multiple times by the supreme court.

"You claim to be a consititutionlist , are you sure that this feature is a birth right?"

Read the 14th Amendment yourself.

"My opinion and yours doesn't find precedent after the fact"

Whatever this means???

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Wow, you assume that I am ignorant of the constitution. So should I assume that you cherry pick your stance? The matter of illegal Aliens getting birth rights has never been argued to a point. You probably assume I'm a peer, but I feel confident that I'm at least 20+ years older than you are. That doesn't make me smarter than you or right, but it does make me more informed. That information over the years does give me a different perspective, right or wrong. Maybe be open to differing opinions before you take such extreme stances. I love this country, and wholeheartedly respect it's history. I'll say again, Congress has a extremely difficult time correcting laws, making laws, or an interpretation of laws. I have no tolerance for gray areas in respect to this topic. Either your legal or illegal

“Wow, you assume that I am ignorant of the constitution.”

Your statements suggest this, yes.

“So should I assume that you cherry pick your stance? The matter of illegal Aliens getting birth rights has never been argued to a point.”

The constitution says; all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside.

Now, do you think we need further interpretation? It’s very clear language. As pertaining to children born on us soil to illegal immigrants, this law has been interpreted as written for over a century in federal courts, and never successfully challenged.

“You probably assume I'm a peer, but I feel confident that I'm at least 20+ years older than you are.”

Wow… I needed that laugh… I made no assumption nor couldn’t possibly care less how old you are.

“That doesn't make me smarter than you or right, but it does make me more informed.”

Not even a little bit.

“That information over the years does give me a different perspective, right or wrong.”

In this case, wrong.

“Maybe be open to differing opinions before you take such extreme stances.”

Again, I’m reading the constitution and the case history. Folks like you who rely on their gut, and how many times they’ve spun around the sun might call this extreme.

“I love this country, and wholeheartedly respect it's history. I'll say again, Congress has a extremely difficult time correcting laws, making laws, or an interpretation of laws.”

Congress doesn’t interpret laws. Also if you want to see a change to the 14th amendment, congress will only be the first step. My suggestion is to work within the confines of the 14th amendment to come up with a solution.

“I have no tolerance for gray areas in respect to this topic. Either your legal or illegal”

You’re* And, a person with birthright status has done nothing illegal.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Trump is so economically ignorant and so unfit to be a leader of the US. Now he wants to impose tarriffs to Canadian lumber being shipped into the US. The end result of this total BONEHEAD move is it will raise housing prices in the US by the same amount or more of the imposed tarrif and possibly slow down the American economy if not stall it again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Trump is so economically ignorant and so unfit to be a leader of the US. Now he wants to impose tarriffs to Canadian lumber being shipped into the US. The end result of this total BONEHEAD move is it will raise housing prices in the US by the same amount or more of the imposed tarrif and possibly slow down the American economy if not stall it again.
OTOH this lumber issue is not new at all, but as a former Customs broker I hate these types of actions with countervailing duties and/or anti-dumping duties. Too much red tape :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
While I think Trump has done a lot of boneheaded things (I'm too lazy to even begin to list them), you're going way overboard to say that adding a few dollars per square foot of building costs will slow down or stall the US economy. The real boneheaded thing is to pick a fight with a country who IMO is our greatest and most trusted ally over the lumber industry. Stupendously dumb.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
While I think Trump has done a lot of boneheaded things (I'm too lazy to even begin to list them), you're going way overboard to say that adding a few dollars per square foot of building costs will slow down or stall the US economy. The real boneheaded thing is to pick a fight with a country who IMO is our greatest and most trusted ally over the lumber industry. Stupendously dumb.
You're right, it won't add an inordinate amount to the cost of a home. But, it's an unnecessary trade irritant. As each lumber agreement expires, the US lumber industry starts their silly game all over again, claiming that Canadian softwood lumber is subsidized, which it is not. Most Canadian softwood is harvested from Crown, i.e. Public land. The government charges low stumpage fees, since it incurs essentially no costs. This means the harvesters can sell it more cheaply and still make a profit. Most American softwood comes from private lots and the lot owners want to - understandably - maximize their profits, which makes American lumber more expensive. The WTO has repeatedly struck down the tariffs as being unjustified, but that doesn't stop their implementation. This is an old, but ongoing issue...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
You're right, it won't add an inordinate amount to the cost of a home. But, it's an unnecessary trade irritant. As each lumber agreement expires, the US lumber industry starts their silly game all over again, claiming that Canadian softwood lumber is subsidized, which it is not. Most Canadian softwood is harvested from Crown, i.e. Public land. The government charges low stumpage fees, since it incurs essentially no costs. This means the harvesters can sell it more cheaply and still make a profit. Most American softwood comes from private lots and the lot owners want to - understandably - maximize their profits, which makes American lumber more expensive. The WTO has repeatedly struck down the tariffs as being unjustified, but that doesn't stop their implementation. This is an old, but ongoing issue...
Most US trade friction involves small special-interest groups that want millions of people to pay more so a few tens of thousands can reap special benefits. The US aluminum industry is another sad story of various factors in the US (like more expensive electricity compared to China) and lack of investment in the most modern smelting processes cause US production to be non-competitive, so jobs are lost, then the Chinese (who are investing in new hydropower and more modern plants) get accused of dumping.

Frankly, I'd rather deforest Canada than the US, but that's just me. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Most US trade friction involves small special-interest groups that want millions of people to pay more so a few tens of thousands can reap special benefits. The US aluminum industry is another sad story of various factors in the US (like more expensive electricity compared to China) and lack of investment in the most modern smelting processes cause US production to be non-competitive, so jobs are lost, then the Chinese (who are investing in new hydropower and more modern plants) get accused of dumping.

Frankly, I'd rather deforest Canada than the US, but that's just me. :)
It's not Brazil, you know. Replanting is an integral part of forestry in Canada, while harvesting is done at a sustainable rate, i.e. limited to a rate that is compensated for by forest regeneration.

We have our own protectionist issues here, as well. Our dairy and poultry/egg industries are essentially closed (very limited imports allowed), due to supply management. It's supposed to keep domestic producers from being buried by cheap imports and to prevent over-production for domestic consumption. Although not subsidized by government, it means we pay far more for dairy and poultry products than you do in the US. It also means we export almost no dairy/poultry products.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It's not Brazil, you know. Replanting is an integral part of forestry in Canada, while harvesting is done at a sustainable rate, i.e. limited to a rate that is compensated for by forest regeneration.
I was joking, Gonad. That's what smileys are for. Lighten up.

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
As each lumber agreement expires, the US lumber industry starts their silly game all over again, claiming that Canadian softwood lumber is subsidized, which it is not. Most Canadian softwood is harvested from Crown, i.e. Public land. The government charges low stumpage fees, since it incurs essentially no costs. This means the harvesters can sell it more cheaply and still make a profit. Most American softwood comes from private lots and the lot owners want to - understandably - maximize their profits, which makes American lumber more expensive. The WTO has repeatedly struck down the tariffs as being unjustified, but that doesn't stop their implementation. This is an old, but ongoing issue...
Well, the Canadian timber industry has a tit caught in the wringer now. Former US President Jimmy Carter wrote an op ed for the Washington Post that was published today, where he says "Trump is right about Canadian timber imports". Carter goes on and on about poor suffering timber owners like himself, making a pittance he calculates for us, and calls what the Canadian government does dumping. Think about it, Jimmy Carter agreeing with President Twitter? Game over. :eek:

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
His biggest blunder to date must be the divulging of classified information to the Russians. I cant believe how incredibly stupid that man is. Hes the text book definition of a f?cktard. Hr may even have the potential of surpaading Snowden and Wikileaks. I'm exaggerating now I reslize but dam that guy is dumb.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis