questions about aa philharmonics

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
thanks man. those are 4x6 pieces of lumber stained black. I'm all over that poop. the king of 4x6 redneck rigging. :p I did that so my center can slide under the tv a little. I'm thinking about getting another piece of wood tall enough to stick behind the tv to hide the rest of those wires. something cheap and doesn't have to be thick, stain it black and it'll blend right in I think. I could screw it into the backs of those 4x6 pieces the tv sits on. that would actually stabilize everything too.

the 1000's are plenty loud enough for me. I have them -2 below reference and the gains on both subs set at 50%. I understand I'm prolly missing some of that in your bones thud for movies, but that's not as big a deal to me. I like my home theater, don't get me wrong, but I've always been chasing an awesome music system and I think I now have one. it sounds amazing and I don't think I can do any better without shelling out a lot more cash.

next on the agenda may be an amp. that's why I got the x1200 with preouts. not in a hurry for that one though. it sounds great now and I'm getting pretty decent spl.

*edit: I didn't type "poop". lol
Did you cut the 4X6" pieces of lumber? I may do something very similar. Do they have 4 X 6" that I can buy as a single board? Sure has given me some ideas......LOL!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you cut the 4X6" pieces of lumber? I may do something very similar. Do they have 4 X 6" that I can buy as a single board? Sure has given me some ideas......LOL!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil
yeah. home Depot or Lowe's, either one. I went to depot and bought a large plank. they cut it free up to so many cuts then charge a little after that. you need a pretty good sized saw to get a good cut on a piece that thick. my neighbor has a saw that'll work, but the depot had a big rig all set up for it and it was much easier.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
If I was building speaker stands I'd be more inclined to get some lengths of 2", 2-1/2" or 3" schedule 80 pipe for the verticals so I can easily run the speaker wire up and then fill them with steel shot.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If I was building speaker stands I'd be more inclined to get some lengths of 2", 2-1/2" or 3" schedule 80 pipe for the verticals so I can easily run the speaker wire up and then fill them with steel shot.
That would be better, but I'm way more familiar working with wood and it was dirt cheap. I think they look nice and definitely serve their purpose.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
When you're using the speakers to play some "dynamic" music, check to see if the stands are resonating in any way. I've heard that with tall wooden stands, though yours are more robust with the twin columns.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When you're using the speakers to play some "dynamic" music, check to see if the stands are resonating in any way. I've heard that with tall wooden stands, though yours are more robust with the twin columns.
yeah, they're pretty hefty and sturdy. what I had before was a joke. the verticals were very flimsy and light. I just kept the pedestals and replaced the verticals with heavy lumber. this is a big step up for me in the speaker stand world. :p

I have a buddy who builds dune buggies and sand rails. he always has metal tubing around for making frames. I'll bet I could get him to weld me up some real nice stands for beer or something. mebbe the cost of materials. I'd like to have what you suggested. if I made it though, it would look ghetto. I have almost zero experience working with metal. for now I'm pretty happy with the ones I modified.

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
thanks diesel. I'm still tweaking, but it sounds really, really good.

how do you like that sb2000? if I had the money I'd have a pair of those, but the sb1000's were more in my budget (for 2 of them) and they sound really good in my house. I don't feel like I'm missing anything right now.
Pogre the sb2000 is nothing short of amazing, I listen to all kinds of music while jazz being my 1st choice since I was in elementary school. What blew me away with the sb2000 is when I played Jimmy Smith's cd on Keep On Coming with Kenny Burrell and the sound of the Hammond b3 solidified the listening pleasure I was :p, and after playing Tubular Bells, I was walking around like a barnyard rooster, it's tight and goes low, I'm happy and content with this setup, SVS know sound along with quality.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have to agree. One of my favorite jazz artists (for certain selected tracks) is Euge Groove. Of course I have different loudspeakers, but the point is that their tracks being in the sweet spot between where my R500 speakers leave off and the SB2000 takes over, it's butter smooth.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I have to agree. One of my favorite jazz artists (for certain selected tracks) is Euge Groove. Of course I have different loudspeakers, but the point is that their tracks being in the sweet spot between where my R500 speakers leave off and the SB2000 takes over, it's butter smooth.
Huge Groove is also a favorite of mind as well, I'm extremely greatful to you all here that inspired me to add a sub after I brought SVS Prime Towers, they difinitly let you know when a cd or tracks on a cd are poorly recorded.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The name of the band is "Euge Groove", relating to the leader/member Steven Eugene Grove. Well, I say band but that's really his own stage name.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL I looked up both on Spotify, only found Euge Groove (who I kinda wondered if was from Eugene OR). I'll see how much groove this guy has for sure....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
okay, you got me. I'm listening to euge groove right now. not my normal taste, but I'm giving it a fair day in court. it sounds amazing on my system. I had to dial the subs back quite a bit. some decently deep bass. everything is recorded so smooth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm giving some Euge Groove a shot now too, the eponymous 2000 album. Kinda reminds me of Klemmer/Rippingtons/Crusaders kind of vibe...we used to have a radio station in the SF bay area that would play a lot of this kinda stuff, forget the call sign.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Because I stream Tidal Hi-Fi, I happened upon Euge Groove while scrolling down the list of new albums in genre Jazz. I clicked on the album "Still Euge" and was very impressed. My speakers certainly loved it, and it does seem to be exceptionally well recorded. I've gone on to listen to all the other albums but keep going back to that first one...or should I say "his most recent one."

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
okay, I have one for you. it's outside your wheelhouse, but I'm hoping the musicianship will pull it through for you guys. the band is Tool. the song is The Pot.

tool is a very solid band comprised of 4 very talented musicians. they apply a lot of classical and jazz theory to their music and their drummer is considered by many to be one of the best in the world. he has many years studying jazz and often uses complicated time signatures and polyrythms in their songs.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
okay, I have one for you. it's outside your wheelhouse, but I'm hoping the musicianship will pull it through for you guys. the band is Tool. the song is The Pot.

tool is a very solid band comprised of 4 very talented musicians. they apply a lot of classical and jazz theory to their music and their drummer is considered by many to be one of the best in the world. he has many years studying jazz and often uses complicated time signatures and polyrythms in their songs.
Pogre, gonna check him out while of course I'm not the final word but I'm always open to being enlightened, by the way I know it may not be your cup of tea but give this guy a test run...Rufus Harley, plays jazz with the bagpipes also plays the sax and clarinet, the tracks to give a shot is...THE BAGPIPE BLUES and the other one is SCOTCH AND SOUL...Cheers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will give them a listen diesel. I'm just having fun listening to different stuff on my new speakers. everything sounds so good.

tool has quite a few pretty dynamic songs. "intension" is a pretty good one also and has some solid bass.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
I'm giving some Euge Groove a shot now too, the eponymous 2000 album. Kinda reminds me of Klemmer/Rippingtons/Crusaders kind of vibe...we used to have a radio station in the SF bay area that would play a lot of this kinda stuff, forget the call sign.
I will give them a listen diesel. I'm just having fun listening to different stuff on my new speakers. everything sounds so good.

tool has quite a few pretty dynamic songs. "intension" is a pretty good one also and has some solid bass.

No explanation needed Pogre, I totally understand, music never gets old when you have a system that barbecues your ears.

PS: I knew those Ultras weren't going to make it to XMAS without being disturbedo_O

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
No explanation needed Pogre, I totally understand, music never gets old when you have a system that barbecues your ears.

PS: I knew those Ultras weren't going to make it to XMAS without being disturbedo_O
XMAS, did they even make it to Thanksgiving?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis