Zumbo: A proposition for you

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I disagree with this statement.
IMHO, any speaker should be listened to on whatever gear is needed to ensure they have adequate power. This way you know what the speaker really sounds like. The next step is to determine if your gear can properly drive them. Then, if not, decide if you are willing to buy the proper gear (essentially, this is part of the price of these speakers).
My intent was that the buyer should be auditioning on equipment equal to what they own, or will be using. If he didn't have enough juice at home, then there is no need to buy Quart. 125W will do nothing for them, in anything other than a small room.

Their strong point was the midrange, and also had well detailed highs. The bass quite lacking to my ears though.
Also, I don't think Quart intended a 6.5" bookshelf to be used as a full-range speaker. The above description sounds correct, and ideal.

Zumbo, you should try swapping your amps! You may find 175W is enough for the smaller room. It would also be good to know if 300W is enough for the large room in case you plan to upgrade.
Adcom 7605 is a 5-channel in my HT.

Denon POA-2200 is my 2-channel rig. No swapping.:D;)

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think if a speaker presents a difficult load, it should come with amps as part of the list price IE active like a Seaton Catalyst or JbL 6328 or Focal CMS50

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I think if a speaker presents a difficult load, it should come with amps as part of the list price IE active like a Seaton Catalyst or JbL 6328 or Focal CMS50
The Focal would be $1200.

QLS 530 are $600.

$600 left for the amp of your choice.;)

The QLS 530 are not near field either.

JBL 6328 are $2738.:eek: Math is pointless.:D;)

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The Focal would be $1200.

QLS 530 are $600.

$600 left for the amp of your choice.;)
Yeah, but it's listed at $600. So when I go there I'm not saying "I want to audition something that will cost me 1200 total"

:p

p.s. the 2325P is a lot cheaper and still active.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, but it's listed at $600. So when I go there I'm not saying "I want to audition something that will cost me 1200 total"

:p

p.s. the 2325P is a lot cheaper and still active.
I think you misunderstood.

The Focal are $600 each.

The Quarts are $600 a pair, which will leave $600 to activate them.;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/DENON-POA-6600-MONO-POWER-AMPLIFIERS-SHARP-POA-6600-/330537877869?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf597c16d
http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-POA-2200-2-channel-AMPLIFIER-/150570634214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230eb58be6
http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-POA-2400A-200-Watt-2Ch-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-/160555806079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561df2d7f

Last edited:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
And the catalysts are like $7000/pr :D

But that includes amplification :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Adcom 7605 is a 5-channel in my HT.

Denon POA-2200 is my 2-channel rig. No swapping.:D;)
I would still swap them for the sake of a test.
Hooking the 300W amp to the mains in your HT room will establish if that is enough amp to manage the MB quarts in the HT room.
If you occasionally shut down your amp by overloading it, that means you probably see soft clipping (which will sound bad) and hard clipping (which is putting your speakers at risk).

Hooking the 175W amp in the second room will let you know if you really need 300W. It may be that you can buy a 175-200 Stereo amp, add the 300W to the HT room system and resolve your problems.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I would still swap them for the sake of a test.
Hooking the 300W amp to the mains in your HT room will establish if that is enough amp to manage the MB quarts in the HT room.
If you occasionally shut down your amp by overloading it, that means you probably see soft clipping (which will sound bad) and hard clipping (which is putting your speakers at risk).

Hooking the 175W amp in the second room will let you know if you really need 300W. It may be that you can buy a 175-200 Stereo amp, add the 300W to the HT room system and resolve your problems.
Just got back off my two-day run.

As mentioned in my 2200 thread, the 2200 is more than enough for the speakers. I have the gains backed-down to 1 o'clock now. When I had them @ 3 o'clock, I got a slap from one of the mids.

I will not be switching the amps. The Adcom performs as expected, and works well enough for now. I am just nit-picking, and most would be more than blown away by my HT.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not actually using it though >_> Whenever I get around to getting a receiver with preouts I'll be using it for my mains. I could try using it with my computer speakers since my old receiver has preouts, but 1) I have nowhere to put it, and 2) they get more than loud enough without stressing the receiver at all considering I'm only 3 feet away :D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not actually using it though >_> Whenever I get around to getting a receiver with preouts I'll be using it for my mains. I could try using it with my computer speakers since my old receiver has preouts, but 1) I have nowhere to put it, and 2) they get more than loud enough without stressing the receiver at all considering I'm only 3 feet away :D
My 2200 doesn't even get hot.:)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Nice :D I'm hoping to get a new receiver fairly soon, so I can put that amp to good use.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
In the past, yes, with some old Infinity SM152s...never worked the amp out either considering those speakers are 102dB/1w/1m.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
In the past, yes, with some old Infinity SM152s...never worked the amp out either considering those speakers are 102dB/1w/1m.
I have been watching these amps. I guess they are the same, just different years.:confused:

2200-2400-2800.

Haven't seen a 2600.

I just purchased mine to use with my cd player that has a gain control. Then, I just couldn't resist buying a pre. Glad I did. More output than with the cd player alone.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I also have an old preamp that's sitting unused. I should just find a little two shelf thingy to put them on so I can use em with the computer since it's mostly for music listening anyway.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Yours says direct input. Mine says cd input.

Just great amps.;):D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis