K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
I've got an RX-V1500 receiver and the YPAO sounds great but I'm curious about its accuracy? I've bypassed the other options the ypao checks for and have done those manually. Has anyone done a manual eq and then the auto eq with the YPAO? Were there any subtle or huge differences? What should I check for?

Last edited:
F

fergusonv

Audioholic
I can not comment on how well the eq works when compared against a manual eq but I can comment on how accurate the YPAO is in other areas.

Speaker size - If you have decent speakers it will probably set them to large, which requires going back in and changing it (unless you don't have a sub).

Speaker distance - It nailed it in my room.

Wiring - There have been some reports of it incorrectly reporting speakers as out of phase, just double check your connections if this happens.

Speaker Levels - It was very close in my room with the speakers being set a little hot. My speakers were set about 1.5 dbs high across the board with "0" being dolby reference.

EQ - I have found that the EQ does improve the sound in my room without hurting imaging or the soundstage, you can hear a big difference between each eq setting. Flat worked best for me but if you have "bright" speakers or a "bright" room natural may work well.

I know I didnt really answer the OP's question (sorry) but wanted to put this out there for those interested in how well the YPAO works.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
fergusonv said:
EQ - I have found that the EQ does improve the sound in my room without hurting imaging or the soundstage, you can hear a big difference between each eq setting. Flat worked best for me but if you have "bright" speakers or a "bright" room natural may work well.
The manual recommends using "Flat" eq mode only if all your speakers have comparable frequency response. For instance if you have floor standing mains, and bookshelf surrounds, "Flat" mode might not yield optimal results. In this case "Front" is recommended.

F

fergusonv

Audioholic
Only thing with using "front" is your L/R are not eq'ed at all, so if they are not flat your other speakers are eq'ed to match thier uneven FR.

K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the help guys!

I'm using the Yamaha NS-777 as the front stereos. Do those have a flat eq, ideal for using the FRONT setting for the rest of the system? I'm using Yamaha bookshelf speakers for the surrounds (not as powerful as the fronts) but will be upgrading them to the NS-777 as well pretty soon.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
You may also find that YPAO struggles with the correct Distance and Level settings for your sub (if you have one) as the low bass a sub produces can quite easily 'confuse' YPAO.

K

kaos

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, the first time I used the ypao i noticed it had a lot of inaccurate settings. The only thing I use it for is to auto set the eq.

M

msmith855

Junior Audioholic
fergusonv said:
Wiring - There have been some reports of it incorrectly reporting speakers as out of phase, just double check your connections if this happens.
I have the 1500 as well and got that error a couple times.. drove me nuts checking and rechecking all the connections before convincing myself that is was YPAO error and not my own. Other than that though it was fairly good in my estimation. I did some minor tweaking here and there but nothing extreme.

JOHN FICKEL

JOHN FICKEL

Senior Audioholic
I can not comment on how well the eq works when compared against a manual eq but I can comment on how accurate the YPAO is in other areas.

Speaker size - If you have decent speakers it will probably set them to large, which requires going back in and changing it (unless you don't have a sub).

Speaker distance - It nailed it in my room.

Speaker Levels - It was very close in my room with the speakers being set a little hot. My speakers were set about 1.5 dbs high across the board with "0" being dolby reference.

I know I didnt really answer the OP's question (sorry) but wanted to put this out there for those interested in how well the YPAO works.
What speakers do you have? I have RF-7ii's and YPAO set mine very high, like +6.5 and there 101db efficient. So I grabbed my radio shack Digital sound pressure level meter set it to C weighted slow and now there down too -4.0 and -2.0. To get them to 83db which makes sense after reading your leveling experience Now I only use YPAO. For distance. That's it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis