S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have two new Sony 4k TVs. They're Smart TVs. YouTube is on the app schedule; however, this channel from day one has shut down after about 5 minutes of viewing. About two or three weeks ago, all that the remote brings up is the YouTube logo and nothing more, just a static YouTube logo, and no loading of content. On one of the TVs a prompt tells me I'm not connected to internet when indeed I am. In addition, it's just YouTube which is problematic, all other apps like Amazon, and HULU work fine. One thing that's interesting is one of the TVs actually has a dedicated YouTube button on its remote, which also brings up a YouTube logo on the TV screen but nothing beyond that. What's wrong here?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Poorly supported app by the tv manufacturer? Or maybe just faulty firmware? Have you tried contacting Sony?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would expect it to show in an on-line search, but this reminds me of how YouTube quit working on the Amazon Show (The Amazon Echo with a video screen). Google (who is also YouTube) has their Google Home smart speaker that is in direct competition and I guess they were watching the Amazon Show gain tremendous popularity...primarily because it could play YouTub videos! So YouTube did some sort of modification such that it no longer worked on the Echo Show.

This is (of course) speculation, but Sony and YouTube are both media providers, so is it possible that they have a conflict where Sony is becoming a threat to Google?

Edit: ...Or this if your devise predates 2013:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6098135?hl=en

For more current Sony TV's (note that this is a UK site, so may not apply):
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00197899

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sony Bravia "smart" TVs are android based and not very good experience according to many.
Good news is getting firetv/roku/chromemast is not expensive proposition if you're unable to find a solution for the built-in app.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sony Bravia "smart" TVs are android based and not very good experience according to many.
Good news is getting firetv/roku/chromemast is not expensive proposition if you're unable to find a solution for the built-in app.
Definitely, in fact only 2 TOL displays score descent for "smart function". Seperate STB is the way to go.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Definitely, in fact only 2 TOL displays score descent for "smart function". Seperate STB is the way to go.
Agree, a TV is just the wrong location for apps. Sound goes the wring way for a start. There are no smart TVs only very dumb ones.

For streaming and general use there is no substitute for an HTPC if you do the bulk of your viewing from the NET.

S

sterling shoote

You are not alone!
This looks promising:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/ngqH7Ue5Hqw

Edit: It suggests you follow what was suggested on the UK site I had linked above!

Interesting that this just happened to you but others experienced it earlier (or do you not use YouTube often?).
I went to the site you suggested. I followed instructions. YouTube now loads. I sync'd to YouTube account on iPhone. Now, all works as it is supposed to work. Interestingly enough, before posting here about this problem I did indeed do a Google search about the problem but it did not reveal the site you found. Thank you so much and thanks to all others here for their suggestions.

S

sterling shoote

One of my Sony TVs does not have a few of the apps I would like to access, so, yes, I will likely plug-in an inexpensive Roku device. Kurt's advice on topic has got me back in business for YouTube which is my go-to app for how-to-do stuff. Thanks for the tip. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Due to poor app support on some devices I recently went with Amazon Fire Sticks in two setups so far...work nicely.

S

sterling shoote

Due to poor app support on some devices I recently went with Amazon Fire Sticks in two setups so far...work nicely.
I purchased a Fire Stick for my mother-in-law. She was going to drop cable and just retain internet from cable co. The Fire Stick seemed to be what she needed to see her favorite programs for less cost, a lot less cost, like $150 less per month. At any rate, the snafu was a digital antenna did not suffice for local programs. So, still today she is paying for cable and the Fire Stick is not being used. If she permits, I might borrow the Fire Stick to see if it performs better than the TVs Smart electronics. Of course, I do believe that Roku and Amazon devices should perform better than the Sony electronics but I figured why not try out the in-TV devices since they're there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased a Fire Stick for my mother-in-law. She was going to drop cable and just retain internet from cable co. The Fire Stick seemed to be what she needed to see her favorite programs for less cost, a lot less cost, like $150 less per month. At any rate, the snafu was a digital antenna did not suffice for local programs. So, still today she is paying for cable and the Fire Stick is not being used. If she permits, I might borrow the Fire Stick to see if it performs better than the TVs Smart electronics. Of course, I do believe that Roku and Amazon devices should perform better than the Sony electronics but I figured why not try out the in-TV devices since they're there.
Yeah, can be hard if you want local programming to give up cable/sat services that provide such. There is the Sling app, at least it's available on my firestick, but probably better for network stuff rather than local franchises of the network? Not sure...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a Sony and while it is nowhere near as good as the nvidia shield I have, it's at the least the best smart tv platform out there since it is at least not proprietary to sony. They could have done a much better job though...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, can be hard if you want local programming to give up cable/sat services that provide such. There is the Sling app, at least it's available on my firestick, but probably better for network stuff rather than local franchises of the network? Not sure...
Sling has certain locals, but not many. A lot of it is on demand.

I really like sling, but my OTA antenna gets me everything I need that isn't on Sling.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've got a Sony and while it is nowhere near as good as the nvidia shield I have, it's at the least the best smart tv platform out there since it is at least not proprietary to sony. They could have done a much better job though...
Actually, I think the QTC Smart TVs beat the Sony for smart TV platform. They use Roku built-in and it works great - just like my Roku box!
I have a Sony BD player and just recently it has started asking me to register with Sony before I can access the built in streaming (for Netflix, etc). I have been happily using the Sony for my streaming for at least two years, and the fact that they want me to register my streaming and agree to some agreement with them (which was not required when I set it up) is working my paranoia - that just makes no sense!
So I am now using another Roku box in that room as well!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Actually, I think the QTC Smart TVs beat the Sony for smart TV platform. They use Roku built-in and it works great - just like my Roku box!
I have a Sony BD player and just recently it has started asking me to register with Sony before I can access the built in streaming (for Netflix, etc). I have been happily using the Sony for my streaming for at least two years, and the fact that they want me to register my streaming and agree to some agreement with them (which was not required when I set it up) is working my paranoia - that just makes no sense!
So I am now using another Roku box in that room as well!
Yeah the Roku TVs should be pretty good, but they'll eventually suffer the same fate as all smart TVs in that they will either stop updates, or the SOC will become too slow to cope with the updates.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Sony and the Android TV interface is my choice for streaming boxes, but for the average user it can be a pain. Once I killed all the bugs I could it's solid as a rock.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
You are not alone!
This looks promising:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/ngqH7Ue5Hqw

Edit: It suggests you follow what was suggested on the UK site I had linked above!

Interesting that this just happened to you but others experienced it earlier (or do you not use YouTube often?).
The fix is the same as for my Samsung FP...works for a while, and then you go through the whole process again. It sounds like it is a YouTube problem since it is happening on multiple brands of TVs, and not a tv problem.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The fix is the same as for my Samsung FP...works for a while, and then you go through the whole process again. It sounds like it is a YouTube problem since it is happening on multiple brands of TVs, and not a tv problem.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I would agree, but I have zero issues with youtube on my shield TV. Or my Sony TV. Granted, I use it every so often so maybe it's filling the cache and freaking out with heavy usage?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If the TV stations' transmitters are roughly all in the same direction from you mother in law's home this little Yagi-Uda array will do the trick.

I use one at our Eagan residence. The transmitters are right the other side of the metro. This antenna brings in over 40 channels better then cable for quality. The signals are so strong I'm right close to the point of needing an attenuator.

S

sterling shoote

If the TV stations' transmitters are roughly all in the same direction from you mother in law's home this little Yagi-Uda array will do the trick.

I use one at our Eagan residence. The transmitters are right the other side of the metro. This antenna brings in over 40 channels better then cable for quality. The signals are so strong I'm right close to the point of needing an attenuator.
Is that an outdoor device?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis