You know you are an old fart when...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hell, I'm not even old and thinking about how "kids" won't even know what a dial tone is makes my head hurt...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't be all that old, because I still have some memory! I still have my maternal grandparent's phone number memorized, as it because my parent's number, then my son's.

PLeasant 6-3318

I doubt folks under the age of 45 would even know how to decode that.
LOL. Just for fun I searched it....phone numbers were not top results, street addresses were. Even making it Pleasant exchange 6-3318 didn't yield phone number results.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
You know you're an old fart when....

Duffy's Daredevils was considered high tech.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
From recent personal experience on another thread...

You know how write protection works on a cassette tape.

In the same vein, you actually know what an 8-track tape is ;).

Finally, your wedding video was done on Betamax (mine was!).

Ww

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You know what a polaroid camera is and more specifically, you know what "The Swinger" is and can recite the jingle from their commercial:

Meet the Swinger,
the Polaroid Swinger!
It's more than a camera,
It's almost alive!
For only nineteen dollars and ninety five!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
... you know who Maynard G Krebs is!

Wait, is that an album cover?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You still think Susan Dey is kinda hot!:)

Okay, I'll admit. I'm not old fart and i have no idea who's Susan Dey is(w/o google her), but dam i challenge you to guess Salma Hayek age:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I thought this would be fun for us old-timers to reminisce over how things have changed, especially things that would totally surprise a young adult!

I'll start with this:

You know you're an old fart when you wonder why there is no touch-up paint in the glovebox of your new car!
Gas station driveway bells.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, I'll admit. I'm not old fart and i have no idea who's Susan Dey is(w/o google her), but dam i challenge you to guess Salma Hayek age:
I guessed late forties, but I kind of cheated because of how you asked the question as indicating she was older than I would think, so I evaluated the image as "what is the oldest she could possibly be and look like that"! Probably would have guessed mid-thirties otherwise.
(She is currently 51 for the record)

Susan Dey (in the context I was using) was the oldest sister in the Partridge Family (TV show about a single mom making music with her family):

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
LOL. Just for fun I searched it....phone numbers were not top results, street addresses were. Even making it Pleasant exchange 6-3318 didn't yield phone number results.
The number dates back to at least the 1950's. Back then, Massachusetts was just two area codes, 617 for the eastern part and 413 for the western part. (Now it's at least 5 for land lines, plus more for cell phones.) We only had to dial 7 numbers, not ten. The first two numbers were given words to represent the first two of the seven. P in PLeasant was 7, and the L in PLeasant is 5. Another in use around here was SWift (79). This was second nature to locals. You would say "pleasant 6 3318" and they would intuitively write PL6 3318 or 756-3318. I still have a very heavy, black desktop rotary telephone with NON-detachable cords and "PL6-3318" hand written on the paper center of the rotary dial, covered with an acetate protector. It was written there by my maternal grandmother who died in 1966.

The number changed from the 617 area code to 508 back in the 1990's. It may be in use by someone again, so don't go calling it, please.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You know you are an old fart when you go to a website and register for something and you have to scroll down for a while to find your birth year.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
A firemen's truck with a wooden steering and a chain driving the rear wheel shaft.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
You've seen a TV show so many times you can do the dialog and even the music 100% accurately.
Star Trek (TOS) is the one I can do it with the most easily. My friends and I used to reinact Decker's death scene:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You're an old fart when you could drink a bottle of Coke that cost only 5 cents!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis