You know you are an old fart when...

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This was my first car. Sadly, I neglected it to death. I was poor and repairs are expensive.
I had that car from 1988 until 2004, nearly 16 years. I always liked it even though it was under powered and not at all sexy. Mine was a 4-door hatchback, in red. Eventually, the body and interior looked old, but the engine and transmission were still in great shape. It was nearly indestructible. I taught both my daughter & son to drive a manual transmission in that car.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
After starting with the automatic Dodge Fart, I later learned to drive a stick on a friend's VW beetle. I never went back. All my cars since then, except one, have had 4 or 5 speed sticks. I like sticks.
  • 1972 Fiat 124 Spyder – bought in Italy & later shipped it home
  • 1968 VW Squareback – bought used in Alaska, sold it when I left
  • 1976 VW Rabbit – didn't buy it, married it's owner
  • 1984 Toyota Camry
  • 1988 Chevy Nova (½ Toyota Corolla & ½ Chevrolet, aka the Toyolet)
  • 1996 Chrysler Concorde (the only Detroit car & the only automatic I've owned)
  • 2000 Volvo S70 – bought used in 2003, still drive it now
  • 2001 Volvo S60 – bought used in 2004, my wife's car (also an automatic, but I rarely drive it)
You know you're an old fart when you want to keep your old car because it has a stick and absolutely no computer display on the dash.
My first was a 1964-1/2" Mustang Coupe with a straight 6. 3 speed auto, No power steering, no AC, 1 barrel carb. Burned a quart of oil a week like clockwork so I kept a case of oil in the trunk. Great to work on because if you dropped a wrench, it would actually hit the ground and you could reach through the car to pick it up. Couldn't break that motor despite my best efforts as an idiot teen. Would do donuts on snow like a top. Miss that old car.

Next up was a 1986 Ford Bronco II. Amazed I never flipped that thing despite how I abused drove it. Pinned a friend's shoulders to the roof one time when I took a shortcut through the fairgrounds and hit a washout in the road. Like I said, amazed I never flipped it. I played dumb when had an engine issues. I'm sure I had nothing to do with that!!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
First car 1965 Buick Skylark. Moved on to a 1969 Ford Galaxy. Nuff Said.
Dave

Bones3DFC

Bones3DFC

Enthusiast
In Milwaukee, one of the TV stations broadcast a show with a guy in a rocking chair who was surrounded by little kids and he would read the Sunday comics to them.

I remember sitting in the dark, to listen to radio shows like The Green Hornet, The Shadow and others. Made it spookier, for those of us who were about 5-7 years old.
A fellow Milwaukee-an?!!! The smell of beer and chocolate. Schlitz. Pabst. Rexnord was Rexnord and not whatever it is now. Allis Chalmers. I forget the other big companies my parents and grand parents have mentioned.

Well. Thank you, guys. I feel like a kid again. I’m surprised some of you are even at this forum seeing as how you must have learned to read using material printed on the Gutenberg. :)

Somewhere out in the shed I still have my Gary Numan 8-track tape (here in my car... I go safest of all... will you visit me please... if I open my door... in CARS) I remember the first 45 I bought with my own money was “Ballroom Blitz” by Sweet - although I’m so old I can’t remember if that was used or hot off the press.

As some of you are my parent’s age I guess I’m just “old” and you’re the “farts.”
Sorry. New here. Just trying to be funny.

Playing solitaire til dawn...
With a deck of 51...
Smoking cigarettes and watchin... Captain... KANGAROOOOO
Now don’t tell me.... I’ve nothin to dooooooo
:)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
A fellow Milwaukee-an?!!! The smell of beer and chocolate. Schlitz. Pabst. Rexnord was Rexnord and not whatever it is now. Allis Chalmers. I forget the other big companies my parents and grand parents have mentioned.

Well. Thank you, guys. I feel like a kid again. I’m surprised some of you are even at this forum seeing as how you must have learned to read using material printed on the Gutenberg. :)

Somewhere out in the shed I still have my Gary Numan 8-track tape (here in my car... I go safest of all... will you visit me please... if I open my door... in CARS) I remember the first 45 I bought with my own money was “Ballroom Blitz” by Sweet - although I’m so old I can’t remember if that was used or hot off the press.
:)
There are a couple of us rejects from Milwaukee. We haven't started complaining about potholes yet or all the road construction on 894, Hwy 100, I94, I-43, or pretty much every freak where in the metro area right now.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There are a couple of us rejects from Milwaukee. We haven't started complaining about potholes yet or all the road construction on 894, Hwy 100, I94, I-43, or pretty much every freak where in the metro area right now.
When I watched again the "Falling Down" movie with Michael Douglas a couple of days ago, the road construction work reminded me of the mess that we have been subjected to in Montreal for the last several years. It's definitely preferable to use public transportation as well. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis