Yamaha yt 1840 Home theatre needs more Bass!!!

J

John Deepak

Audiophyte
Recently Purchased Yamaha yt 1840, I am happy with the speaker's output however I am not convinced with the 'BASS' since it comes with Passive Subwoofer and it is too flat and subtle. Tried playing around with settings but that wasn’t enough.

Need suggestions on improving the bass, I am looking for something which would be deep and heavy unlike the current Subwoofer.

1. so should I try looking out for external subwoofer amplifiers and connect the passive subwoofer with the AV receiver. If it definitely improves the experience, help me with budget friendly amplifiers that connects my passive subwoofer and AV receiver.

2. Or should I go with an additional active subwoofer and connect it with the AV receiver. The most commonly heard name was “Yamaha Subwoofer NS-SW050” but couldn’t audition it.

If this would not be a right match, need suggestions for budget friendly active subwoofers that could go with the AV receiver through pre out subwoofer.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The receiver includes a PRE OUT for SUBWOOFER and a more capable powered unit can be used with it. The passive unit included with the system is very limited and will always come up very short.
Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 7.53.38 AM.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Recently Purchased Yamaha yt 1840, I am happy with the speaker's output however I am not convinced with the 'BASS' since it comes with Passive Subwoofer and it is too flat and subtle. Tried playing around with settings but that wasn’t enough.

Need suggestions on improving the bass, I am looking for something which would be deep and heavy unlike the current Subwoofer.

1. so should I try looking out for external subwoofer amplifiers and connect the passive subwoofer with the AV receiver. If it definitely improves the experience, help me with budget friendly amplifiers that connects my passive subwoofer and AV receiver.

2. Or should I go with an additional active subwoofer and connect it with the AV receiver. The most commonly heard name was “Yamaha Subwoofer NS-SW050” but couldn’t audition it.

If this would not be a right match, need suggestions for budget friendly active subwoofers that could go with the AV receiver through pre out subwoofer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have to level with you. You have spent far too much on that already. That system is just not compatible with human hearing.

It consists of five 7" full range speakers in the left, right, center and two surrounds. The so called sub has one 6.5" speaker!

The problem is that those 7" speakers will be awash in cone break up peaks. They have to be. This is important to understand as much of what we perceive as bass if above, and actually quite far above sub range. So I can bet those break up peaks will still give you a perceived lack of bass even with a sub, as the inevitable break up modes will increase the output in parts of the mid and upper range.

I would strongly caution you against putting more money into that system. It is terminal right out of the starting gate.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, they are 7cm(2-3/4”) drivers. Hey, you work with what you have at the moment. Set them to Small with a high crossover such as 120Hz if available in settings. Get an inexpensive powered sub as any would most certainly deliver more bass using the SUB PRE OUT. Go ahead and get a spool of speaker wire that is not angel hair pasta thin that can be used with current speakers and any later upgrades.
00090A9D-A538-489B-A135-CA2C818374B5.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Actually, they are 7cm(2-3/4”) drivers. Hey, you work with what you have at the moment. Set them to Small with a high crossover such as 120Hz if available in settings. Get an inexpensive powered sub as any would most certainly deliver more bass using the SUB PRE OUT. Go ahead and get a spool of speaker wire that is not angel hair pasta thin that can be used with current speakers and any later upgrades.
View attachment 57973
I guess I should have gone to the Yamaha site. At least those small drivers should have a higher break up mode. He won't get much spl. from those tiny speakers. They have very low sensitivity, and I bet 100 watts even for an instant would probably smoke them. I would think the 30 watt rating is more realistic, although probably still optimistic by a big margin.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis