Yamaha YPAO Confirmation

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Try useing the all channel stereo as I don’t think the sub will play in straight mode and switch to 2 channel and see if it plays .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi all,

Thanks for your continued help. :)

So to update I have tested using War Of The Worlds played chapters 5-6'ish

Scenario 1:
The changes I posted above.

Everything sounds fine for the most part. I mean if I were watching the movie normally I probably wouldn't notice, however I do feel the "horn noises" were a little less prominent than scenario #2. I also notice the sub location is clearly to my right.

Scenario #2:
Settings are back to the YPAO choices. Large speakers/lower crossover

Everything mostly sounds the same to be perfectly honest with the exceptions. The "horn noises" seemed a little more in your face. I wouldn't really say it was anything super drastic which is why I say I probably wouldn't notice. I do also feel with the bass being channeled to the fronts also I did feel the localization of the sub was less. Not gone, but less.

Scenario #3:
Same as scenario #1 except I change the LFE to just sub.

I would say this had no effect compared to #1. I did notice that some of the voices were possibly more evident but than again it could also be that I've watched that scene several times.

All in, all I am not sure there was any major difference between the settings. It seems adjusting the sub might improve things more than the above? Thoughts?

As for the 2.0 source. I was more meaning a straight unmodified single. 2 CH. I've never heard my sub come on for anything with 2 CH. The AVR will show 2 speakers only. (see attached) So I am wondering would the crossover setting or large vs small be used for such a scenario?

Cheers!
I get lost with Yamaha's terminology for straight and through etc....but in the end it's just what you prefer and avoiding sub localization is a good thing (altho placement of your sub could have something to do with it)....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I get lost with Yamaha's terminology for straight and through etc....but in the end it's just what you prefer and avoiding sub localization is a good thing (altho placement of your sub could have something to do with it)....
Indeed there terminology can be very confusing as is there onboard eq use .

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
ok thanks all for your input. I will likely play around with it some more as I go along.

Yes the sub is probably not very ideal where it is. I'm not sure there is a lot of choice with that unfortunately. It's mostly going to be on the left or the right of the main sitting area nearish the surrounds or I could possibly put it closer to the front on the right say a little bit past "middle" between the front and surrounds. Might try that. Otherwise the sub is going to be in the middle of the floor or something which won't really work.

I suspect the best choice would be to have a second sub on the left to balance things more. I do have a JBL PB10 sub doing nothing currently. Not sure if its considered a good practice to mix-match subs like that?

Cheers!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
ok thanks all for your input. I will likely play around with it some more as I go along.

Yes the sub is probably not very ideal where it is. I'm not sure there is a lot of choice with that unfortunately. It's mostly going to be on the left or the right of the main sitting area nearish the surrounds or I could possibly put it closer to the front on the right say a little bit past "middle" between the front and surrounds. Might try that. Otherwise the sub is going to be in the middle of the floor or something which won't really work.

I suspect the best choice would be to have a second sub on the left to balance things more. I do have a JBL PB10 sub doing nothing currently. Not sure if its considered a good practice to mix-match subs like that?

Cheers!
Any chance you could try them both up by your front speakers may not be ideal but may yield better results .

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Try useing the all channel stereo as I don’t think the sub will play in straight mode and switch to 2 channel and see if it plays .
It's been my experience with all my Yammy's, old or new, 'Straight Mode' are the 2 main front speakers and your subwoofer(s).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's been my experience with all my Yammy's, old or new, 'Straight Mode' are the 2 main front speakers and your subwoofer(s).
Assuming speakers are set to "small", right? I have no trouble on my Denons or Onkyo to employ sub in 2ch modes as I want....

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Assuming speakers are set to "small", right? I have no trouble on my Denons or Onkyo to employ sub in 2ch modes as I want....
That's correct, though I'm not sure if setting them to 'small' makes any difference. My understanding is that putting the Yamaha AVR in 'straight mode' automatically engages the 2 front main speakers and sub(s) no matter what, 'large' or 'small'.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's correct, though I'm not sure if setting them to 'small' makes any difference. My understanding is that putting the Yamaha AVR in 'straight mode' automatically engages the 2 front main speakers and sub(s) no matter what, 'large' or 'small'.
LOL yeah that's "straight" forward? :) Does it run them full range or use the crossover?

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Unless the AVR doesn't show the LFE output (sub) I'm pretty sure if there is no dedicated LFE channel than there will be no sub used when in straight mode. If the original source has an LFE channel or other channels at that, than they will also be output. Straight mode to me is just telling the AVR not to do anything to the incoming signal and output it as it came in.

For example if I am playing a stereo source I will see 2 speaker icons. If I play 5.1/7.1 etc sources in straight mode I will see my full 5.1 speaker setup.

From the manual for reference.
When this unit is in the “STRAIGHT” mode, 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers. Multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional effect processing.

I will probably do some more playing around with the sub side of things. IE sub crawl, however if I start putting the subs at the front its going to end up looking similar to whats frowned upon here:

I won't have the time to work on this for a little while though. I'm suspecting if I do end up putting the 2nd sub (which is not near as good) it will likely be placed about diagonal from the main sub.

Anyway I think this has gone way out of scope from my original post. :) Thanks all for your input. I think I've got lots to think about and likely will be an on-going thing to experiment with. Appreciate all the help.

Cheers!

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Not sure if you got an answer to the YPAO light on the front panel. It just means that you are using the YPAO setting as is, with no adjustment. The minute you adjust something, speaker size, or whatever, the YPAO light goes off. It doesn't mean equalization is no longer being used, it just means you have made an adjustment since running YPAO.

"Straight" Means the source is being sent Straight into the appropriate channels based on the source. If the source is two channel and you have a 5.1 system, then you are going to hear your front two speakers plus the sub, if you have one hooked up. (2.1) If the source is 5.1 (Dolby Digital) then Straight will send a signal to your 5.1 system with no additional processing.

Last edited:
Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the follow-up. I do believe that helps clarify the YPAO.

I've also done some more testing and agree about the "straight" mode. I've tried some more 2ch sources while adjusting the crossover (80) and something like bass heavy music my sub definitively turns on. Not sure why the AVR does not indicate the sub but anyway.

Also watched this one:
not sure if that was spawned from our discussions here (seems rather fitting) but I've now also switched everything back to your recommendations. I guess video format made it more clear. :p

I still don't notice much difference between small or large speakers but will leave all on small for now to see. Have my cross at 80, and no front for LFE.

If you did see the video. Point #5 mentions limiting the hz. Is this a thing on my AVR? I'm not sure I'm aware of where I would be doing this.

Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the follow-up. I do believe that helps clarify the YPAO.

I've also done some more testing and agree about the "straight" mode. I've tried some more 2ch sources while adjusting the crossover (80) and something like bass heavy music my sub definitively turns on. Not sure why the AVR does not indicate the sub but anyway.

Also watched this one:
not sure if that was spawned from our discussions here (seems rather fitting) but I've now also switched everything back to your recommendations. I guess video format made it more clear. :p

I still don't notice much difference between small or large speakers but will leave all on small for now to see. Have my cross at 80, and no front for LFE.

If you did see the video. Point #5 mentions limiting the hz. Is this a thing on my AVR? I'm not sure I'm aware of where I would be doing this.

Cheers!
Can you point out what you're referring to in the written article? https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/common-mistakes Without a time to skip to....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh he's just talking about a room correction eq program like YPAO, Audyssey, etc. Some don't find it helpful, particularly above schroeder frequency.

Experiment, use YPAO and then disable it or modify it.....and experiment with all the modes see if you develop a preference for a combination for particular content....

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
What I am asking is if anyone knows if my AVR is able to make those modifications to the Hz suggested. I am not aware of where I would go to do that if I wanted to try it.

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What I am asking is if anyone knows if my AVR is able to make those modifications to the Hz suggested. I am not aware of where I would go to do that if I wanted to try it.

Thanks
Do you have the ability to limit the frequency range of the correction YPAO applies like Audyssey's app can? No version of YPAO does as far as I know. I have a slightly older Audyssey avr that can't use the app so I have basically the same option you do, use it or not. You might be able to apply eq on top of your YPAO settings to your taste if there's something about it you'd like to change particularly....

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
I have not really seen a specific place to adjust the YPAO options other enable/disable the various options. Would have tried the specific alterations mentioned if it were doable but otherwise I don't really have any goal in mind.

Cheers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis