Yamaha YAS-108 subwoofer settings

H

hypermodecrits

Audiophyte
I am using an external sub with the Yamaha YAS-108 soundbar and am wondering about optimal settings. Should I turn the subwoofer volume setting on the soundbar all the way down (to minimize the use of the internal subwoofers) and adjust my output on the external sub or find the level where the internal subs sound ok and then adjust the external sub output. I believe the subwoofer volume affects both the internal and external subs. The subwoofer volume setting goes from -4 to +4 and I currently have it set at -2.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Warlord
This is an interesting one. What is the external subwoofer?
Since the “subwoofers” in the soundbar won’t be nearly as useful in bass as a real subwoofer, and won’t likely have much shared FR I would just blend them in as much as you can to your liking. “0” is probably fine but I would adjust it up and down and listen to some content with good bass and see if the soundbar sounds bloaty or whatnot, then back it off.
AFAIK there’s no way to actually level match this thing, so it will all be by ear.

H

hypermodecrits

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply, I was using a Polk Audio PSW10 and now have a Yamaha SW-P270 connected (PSW10 got promoted to my 5.1 setup). Last night I tested using -4 sub volume with the external sub turned up a bit more, but it did feel like it was lacking some presence in the low intensity scenes, perhaps due to lack of crossover control on the Yamaha sub? I’ll do more extensive testing today and probably end up with the internal sub drivers having a bit of output. My main concern (whether I can actually notice it or not) is “tainting” my low end with an inferior medium.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis