Yamaha Straight Enhancer/5ch Enhancer

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I’ve found the enhancer and the high Rez engaged useful on older DVD’s or older cd’s about any cd that’s not of the sacd or dts or dvd audio type .
Yeah, I've normally kept it engaged for all sources. I like the results as well.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The enhancer seems to go well with the YPAO volume if you are listening at very low levels to Pandora or Deezer or Internet Radio such as in bed or in “sleep timer” to go to sleep.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you. After 4 years with my RX-A3060, I just learned something. You can apply the enhancer by input....... LOL. I do like the Enhancer and Hi-res mode for music, but it is useless for the DirecTV input, so I just turned it off.
Im still finding out things. I attribute this "slow" learning to a couple of factors; 1). Poorly written manuals, 2). Being forgetfull so that everything old is new again. :p

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Im still finding out things. I attribute this "slow" learning to a couple of factors; 1). Poorly written manuals, 2). Being forgetfull so that everything old is new again. :p
There manual requires a learning factor all it’s own ;-)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I actually downloaded the manual for the 3060 to a thumb drive, and took it to office max, where the printed and bound it for me. I did this a week before I got the receiver. It really helped me get it up and running in no time.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The YouTube videos Gene did on Yamaha 5100 and 5200 go over most of the settings.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
You cannot enhance, optimize or restore anything that isn't there. To be blunt, they are making s#%t up. Compression is not the issue, the lossy codec is the issue and you cannot enhance, optimize or restore bits that were never there in the first place.
Hmmmmm.....For instance, could all these guys at Harman who work on any kind of predictive modeling be just a bunch of dumasses? A.k.a making sht up? I doubt all those guys at Yamaha are just a buncha dumasses too. Eitherway, how can you be so sure? Could you be so sure without getting to audit all their proprietary algorithms?

https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-announces-signal-doctorTM-technology;-restores-audio-quality-lost-in-todays-mobile-digitized-listening-environments

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmmmm.....For instance, could all these guys at Harman who work on any kind of predictive modeling be just a bunch of dumasses? A.k.a making sht up? I doubt all those guys at Yamaha are just a buncha dumasses too. Eitherway, how can you be so sure? Could you be so sure without getting to audit all their proprietary algorithms?

https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-announces-signal-doctorTM-technology;-restores-audio-quality-lost-in-todays-mobile-digitized-listening-environments
Like I said, it comes across as a plain old loudness boost to me, nothing more so all these folks don't have it quite right yet.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

At the end of the day, something is being added to the track. Yamaha says it doesn't work with sampling rates above 48kHz or DSD. They also use the word "enriched" to describe the condition of the music using their enhancer. If I haven't forgotten the meaning of the word enriched, I do believe it means that something has been added to it. These manufacturers are "making s#%t up" the same way TV manufacturers are "making s#%t up" regarding picture frame insertion anytime somebody turns on motion interpolation. Perhaps mine is not the most dignified designation of the process. Is it ever?:D

Actually, I think Yamaha and the like are worse than TV manufacturers. They keep referring to compressed audio as if all compressed audio is lossy. This is not the case so why f#%k with it by turning on an enhancer? I've only heard it degrade the sound with lossy material but some may hear an improvement and leave it on. Compressed or not, it just isn't necessary for lossless material and blasting an enhanced MP3 track is never a good idea as these tracks will receive the most "enrichment". Results and opinions will vary among different AVRs and listeners. I prefer to leave it off. Though, I do appreciate the link to eight year old material regarding the process.;)

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
At the end of the day, something is being added to the track.
No, a lot was already lost from the track (thanks to some bonehead). A predictive tool might just be a salvage attempt.

This is not the case so why f#%k with it by turning on an enhancer? I've only heard it degrade the sound with lossy material but some may hear an improvement and leave it on. Compressed or not, it just isn't necessary for lossless material and blasting an enhanced MP3 track is never a good idea as these tracks will receive the most "enrichment". Results and opinions will vary among different AVRs and listeners. I prefer to leave it off.
Though, I do appreciate the link to eight year old material regarding the process.;)
The fact that the link from Harman is eight years old implies that more progress could have been made over the years...Strange indeed,,, o_O why a guy would oppose existing efforts towards advancing technology (efforts to salvage so many botched shtheaded albums out there)...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Exactly, something was lost and cannot be restored. Enhancers are guessing about what was lost and are artificially filling the gaps of a butchered signal to varying degrees of success. Use 'em if you like 'em. I don't like 'em. So, I don't use 'em. I prefer a lossless version if available rather than let proprietary software further butcher a lossy track. Lossless material isn't rare and doesn't come at an extreme premium these days to warrant tinkering with bad lossy examples.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis