Yamaha RXV1200 + B&W DM602 S3s

H

Hacksaw

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am thinking of geting a Yammy RXV1200 and a B&amp;W DM602 S3s and would like to know if this is a good combination. I already have a Pionner DV533K. I also would like to know which rear speakers would be great for this setup. Subs too!

Thanks!
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000000'>I have a room with a Yamaha RX-V3000 and B&amp;W 602S1's. I think it makes for a very smooth and warm listening experience. The only thing I've noticed is that as I move up the &quot;food chain&quot; I have found speakers with better upper-mid clarity and presence.

B&amp;W's are built solid and provide a very pleasing sound. So its certainly not a bad choice. You could also investigate [listen to] Paradigm, or Axiom Audio (there are other good choices, too) .

As far as rear speakers go you would do well to match up the B&amp;Ws with the 601s if you get them. I went for a while with a differnt brand of speakers for the rears, and only noticed a problem when sound travelled slowly from the fronts to the rears (noticing a shift in tone between the different brands.) Let your budget and your ears be your guide!

Check out this review that Gene, Steve and Clint did which included the 602S1's and some other great speakers. Prices are listed.</font>

H

Hacksaw

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the reply hawke. I read the review and gave me a whole new idea as far as choosing speakers are concerned. Although the B&amp;W 601s review wasn't so favorable, I was thinking if the 602s S3 would be different. I sure hope so. You see I live in the Philippines where speaker choices are quite limited. I would love to try the Axiom for 30 days if they will ship it to me at no charge. With regards to the other speakers mentioned, I have read and heard some of them when I was still living in San Diego but then like I said, they are not available here in the Philippines. I am limited only to B&amp;Ws, Tannoys, Jamos, PSBs, Dynaudios and some high end stuff which are way over my budget. I was offered 18,000 Philiippine peso (347 US$) for the 602s S3 wich I think is not bad. I auditioned it and I liked what I heard but was wondering if it would sound the same in my room. Thats why I had to ask around. Again, thanks.

hacksaw</font>

<font color='#000000'>Sounds like you have a quality problem at least!

Its great to see we are receiving some feedback and input from around the globe. My wife was born in the Phillipines, although she was a Navy brat!

Happy hunting, it sounds like you'll make a great decision.</font>

H

Hacksaw

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Ok, I finally decided to get the RXV1200 and the DM602 S3s..well, I hope it will sound great in my room at least after the burn-in period. I might just take your advice hawke in getting the 601s for the rear. I actually was toying with the idea of getting the Dynaudio Audience 40 but its more expensive than my mains considering they're just small bookself speakers  
. Interconnects (optical and coaxial) are both Vanden Hul. Speaker cables are 14 gauge braided Ixos cables. Speaker placement? What about the subs? I have a 10' x12' room 8'ceiling hieght, no carpet (parquet flooring), no drapes. Advice please! Thanks again.

Hacksaw</font>

<font color='#000080'>I'm not sure on the brands available to you, but I'd go with a nice, punchy 8&quot; or maybe 10&quot; with your room size. I've got a Velodyne SPL 800 and I can't believe the amount of bass that littel thing puts out. There are other choices, certainly, but it may be something to keep in mind.

When you're listening, pay as much attention to the quality of the low frequency coming out (is it distorted? does it sound flabby and uncontrolled?) as you do to how low it plays.

I think you'll like the system you just purchased.

Check out the Crawling for Bass article for sub placement - it works. And just be sure to pull the 602's out from the wall to relieve some of the extra low frequency response they may produce.

Toss a throw rug on the floor to relieve the brightness of the room if its a problem. If not, then don't worry about it.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis