Yamaha RX-Z9 vs NEW RX-A3080

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I also had to buy new Monoprice certified HDMI cables for my Samsung 4K TV to my Yamaha 2060. They are cheap.

Last edited:
markn

markn

Enthusiast
I only have one network at home (one Luxul router and 2 Ubiquiti access points) and I can see all my devices on my laptop when it is wired to the ethernet and I open the luxul address. However, it seems that my wifi (obviously connected through the AP's) devices cannot see my wired devices.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not clear on which 4K mode.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@gene did mention in the review he needed to set the Yamaha 5200 to 4k mode 2 to resolve flickering. I’m not certain really the significance of 4K mode 2 vs mode 1 setting on the Yamaha but maybe try both settings . @markn I’ve been using mode1 on my 2060 with my Samsung 4K TV so maybe it depends.

Also in many google searches there are people who were adjusting this setting but ended up just needing a certified HDMI cable. I know monoprice HDMI cables work well and are very affordable. :)

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
My Yamaha RX-A3080 experience update/comments...

Kept the 3080 for just under 3 years. Its many options and ease of remote control access was amazing and addictive in comparison to old receivers. The sound was incredible! But I finally came to the realization that the experience from long term use of it was unhealthy/unholy. I finally repented and sold it. (And no, I am not affiliated with any religion) I still have many receivers, the newest one was built in 2010. Sadly, I sold my favorite RX-Z9 a year ago and have regretted it ever since. I just repented and picked up another Z9. It seems odd that one RX-Z9 can sound so completely different from another, even with the same exact speakers and configurations/settings.

Besides feeling put off - fatigued when I would listen to the 3080 for long periods of time, The RX-A3080 is horribly crippled by its GRAND LACK OF POWER (its power supply is pathetic!). This receiver will eventually have problems for those who enjoy pushing all of its channels often and hard/ Even if never pushed above the 0 volume setting. And for my experience, I was only pushing it in 6 channel stereo mode. There is simply not enough power available to its parts from the power supply.

I never could get the 3080 to use a full 8 channels in its 9 channel stereo mode-Only 6.

Anyway, in my view the 3080 has plenty of sparkle but NO SOUL, it only offers an unhealthy food/substance/experience that is an illusion.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Kept the 3080 for just under 3 years. Its many options and ease of remote control access was amazing and addictive in comparison to old receivers. The sound was incredible! But I finally came to the realization that the experience from long term use of it was unhealthy/unholy. I finally repented and sold it. (And no, I am not affiliated with any religion) I still have many receivers, the newest one was built in 2010. Sadly, I sold my favorite RX-Z9 a year ago and have regretted it ever since. I just repented and picked up another Z9. It seems odd that one RX-Z9 can sound so completely different from another, even with the same exact speakers and configurations/settings.

Besides feeling put off - fatigued when I would listen to the 3080 for long periods of time, The RX-A3080 is horribly crippled by its GRAND LACK OF POWER (its power supply is pathetic!). This receiver will eventually have problems for those who enjoy pushing all of its channels often and hard/ Even if never pushed above the 0 volume setting. And for my experience, I was only pushing it in 6 channel stereo mode. There is simply not enough power available to its parts from the power supply.

I never could get the 3080 to use a full 8 channels in its 9 channel stereo mode-Only 6.

Anyway, in my view the 3080 has plenty of sparkle but NO SOUL, it only offers an unhealthy food/substance/experience that is an illusion.
If you need ACD, why didn’t you just add a 200W or 300W or 500W external amp from ATI (or others)?

Why use an AVR in the first place?

Get an AVP and separate amps like most audiophiles who demand hardcore power.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

My 3060 drives my entire PSB Image series with a nominal 6 0hm impedance plus 2 CS1000 Atmos speakers full range into the high 80 low 90 db without fuss. Im not sure why you think the 3080 has no power. It may help to know what speakers you are tring to drive. Im also sure barring any abuse that all Z9s sound identical and that you have fallen prey to one of the audiophile follies that long term hearing memory is accurate. Its not, far from it. It only lasts for up to a minute and I being generous with that time.

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
My 3060 drives my entire PSB Image series with a nominal 6 0hm impedance plus 2 CS1000 Atmos speakers full range into the high 80 low 90 db without fuss. Im not sure why you think the 3080 has no power. It may help to know what speakers you are tring to drive. Im also sure barring any abuse that all Z9s sound identical and that you have fallen prey to one of the audiophile follies that long term hearing memory is accurate. Its not, far from it. It only lasts for up to a minute and I being generous with that time.
The 3060 came out 3-4 years before the 3080? Hardly a good item for comparison, as they change the innards of every newer unit. Perhaps they didn't decide to use a cheaper power supply until 2019. Well, perhaps my 3080 was just a lemon for "long term" use, if you can call under 3 years long term that is. (As just at that time it started to die) At least for half of the time, using the double impact tektons at 4 ohms may have over taxed it a bit, though that was only on the main front channels and the 3080 specs clearly state that 4 ohm and even 2 ohm is acceptable. The rest were usually 6 ohm and once in a while an 8 ohm set here and there. Switching between elac, klipsch, kef, mission, rbh, etc. etc. etc. according to my inclinations at any given time. As I get tired of the same setup after certain periods of time. For the long term the 3080 felt taxing to me, as I use my audio devices a great deal more than any average listener. And I wasn't even using it the whole time because I was switching out my other receivers with it on a regular basis. Perhaps you are very fortunate to have the older model 3060 with the 24 bit ESS DAC instead of the newer 32 bit one. Newer is not always better. My older receivers have given endless amounts of bliss with hard core power for years and are still going strong. They are all rated at 10-30 watts less per channel than the 3080 and they all pushed harder and louder. Especially when using 6-8 channel stereo mode. - - - Just because you don't have any hearing memory that does not mean that no one else does. I used the same exact speakers for the "newer" Z9, played the same exact music and the results were horribly different. The earlier Z9 was so picky that I could only stand one specific pair of pioneer andrew jones tower speakers to use it with. The newer one sounded horrible with those same pioneer speakers with playing the same songs. The "newer" one sounds great with other speakers with some similarities, yet in a completely different way than my other one did. Doesn't make sense to me either but that is exactly how it is. Anyway, no sense in trying to explain it to an unbeliever. Whatever, That is my experience.

Last edited:
Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
If you need ACD, why didn’t you just add a 200W or 300W or 500W external amp from ATI (or others)?

Why use an AVR in the first place?

Get an AVP and separate amps like most audiophiles who demand hardcore power.
Needing an external amp has nothing to do with my comments and opinions about/of the 3080. Though I greatly wished that I had one at that time because of the consistent weaknesses shown in the 3080. The current point was relative only to the experience of not using an external amp. My older receivers have given endless amounts of bliss with hard core power for years and are still going strong. They are all rated at 10-30 watts less per channel than the 3080 and they all pushed harder and louder. Especially when using 6-8 channel stereo mode. The 3080 started its early death stages after 2.5 years and would go in and out of working for a bit after that. And I only used it for part of the time as I was regularly switching it out with my other receivers and speakers to keep my audio experience sounding fresh. So to say that I even used it for as long as 2.5 years is clearly inexact. Besides, I would get tired of using the 3080 faster than any of the other receivers that I used. I fact there was something about the sound that was very taxing for regular, consistent/persistent use. I just enjoyed a few months with a monolith (300 watt per channel at 4 ohm) amp. It was spectacular with my tektons but did not seem to resonate well with any of my other speakers. I think that I need to find an amp from the 1990's or early 2000's. Anyway...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The 3060 came out 3-4 years before the 3080? Hardly a good item for comparison, as they change the innards of every newer unit. Perhaps they didn't decide to use a cheaper power supply until 2019. Well, perhaps my 3080 was just a lemon for "long term" use, if you can call under 3 years long term that is. (As just at that time it started to die) At least for half of the time, using the double impact tektons at 4 ohms may have over taxed it a bit, though that was only on the main front channels and the 3080 specs clearly state that 4 ohm and even 2 ohm is acceptable. The rest were usually 6 ohm and once in a while an 8 ohm set here and there. Switching between elac, klipsch, kef, mission, rbh, etc. etc. etc. according to my inclinations at any given time. As I get tired of the same setup after certain periods of time. For the long term the 3080 felt taxing to me, as I use my audio devices a great deal more than any average listener. And I wasn't even using it the whole time because I was switching out my other receivers with it on a regular basis. Perhaps you are very fortunate to have the older model 3060 with the 24 bit ESS DAC instead of the newer 32 bit one. Newer is not always better. My older receivers have given endless amounts of bliss with hard core power for years and are still going strong. They are all rated at 10-30 watts less per channel than the 3080 and they all pushed harder and louder. Especially when using 6-8 channel stereo mode. - - - Just because you don't have any hearing memory that does not mean that no one else does. I used the same exact speakers for the "newer" Z9, played the same exact music and the results were horribly different. The earlier Z9 was so picky that I could only stand one specific pair of pioneer andrew jones tower speakers to use it with. The newer one sounded horrible with those same pioneer speakers with playing the same songs. The "newer" one sounds great with other speakers with some similarities, yet in a completely different way than my other one did. Doesn't make sense to me either but that is exactly how it is. Anyway, no sense in trying to explain it to an unbeliever. Whatever, That is my experience.
The amplifier and power supplies remain relatively constant and the only upgrades are firmware upgrades to the processor engines and maybe some dacs so the comparison remains valid when it comes to power. Ask Dr Toole about the accuracy of hearing memory. Everyone is limited by it including you. That's why long term listening tests are innacurate as its the brain that compensates for biases be sight or otherwise.

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
The amplifier and power supplies remain relatively constant and the only upgrades are firmware upgrades to the processor engines and maybe some dacs so the comparison remains valid when it comes to power. Ask Dr Toole about the accuracy of hearing memory. Everyone is limited by it including you. That's why long term listening tests are innacurate as its the brain that compensates for biases be sight or otherwise.
That's quite incorrect as Yamaha specifically stated that they used all newer type parts in the 3080. Not all may be absolutely different, but the parts are constantly changing from year to year.

Going to or listening to a doctor of any kind to give me advice on how to judge my own experiences would be a joke to say the least. His views are absolutely worthless to me as I know myself far better than he or you ever could.

Feel free to limit yourself all that you may desire to.
I have my own path.
Enjoy your disbelief. As you have every right to do so.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's quite incorrect as Yamaha specifically stated that they used all newer type parts in the 3080. Not all may be absolutely different, but the parts are constantly changing from year to year.

Going to or listening to a doctor of any kind to give me advice on how to judge my own experiences would be a joke to say the least. His views are absolutely worthless to me as I know myself far better than he or you ever could.

Feel free to limit yourself all that you may desire to.
I have my own path.
Enjoy your disbelief. As you have every right to do so.
:rolleyes:

Finding Your Organization's Magic Pixie Dust - Thought Ensemble

Enjoy your pixie dust.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis