Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Returned the Denon with a lump in my throat. Great receiver and a steal at $449.00. There were just a few things in the Onkyo TX-NR6050 that made it the preferable unit for me even when adding the extra $50 bucks. I’ll sit the Yamaha next to the Onkyo for awhile before assigning it to another room. I like looking at it. It tickles me.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Returned the Denon with a lump in my throat. Great receiver and a steal at $449.00. There were just a few things in the Onkyo TX-NR6050 that made it the preferable unit for me even when adding the extra $50 bucks. I’ll sit the Yamaha next to the Onkyo for awhile before assigning it to another room. I like looking at it. It tickles me.
That $500 price point is very competitive usually. Do you find the Dolby Atmos height virtualization does a good job? I have not seen many people talk about it.

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
Can I get some advice on speaker settings with the V6A? I've had it set up for a few weeks now, and mostly love it, but I am not sure if I have the speakers set up correctly. My room is not ideally shaped, but this is pretty much to scale, but the angles still look wrong to me. The viewing distance is 3.6M (a little under 12 feet). The TV is a 65" LG C1. I have nine speakers connected, and they all check out using YPAO (although I had to boost the right surround which is 3.8M compared to the left surround which 2.9M from my sitting position.

My main issue is that I am not getting any output from the rear speakers. My source material ranges from TV shows like Yellowstone through YouTube videos that purport to have 7.2 ATMOS and also a Sky Plus box (I am in New Zealand). I have a Blueray player but it is a few years old, and none of my Blueray disks are ATMOS. I have looked though the user guide and can't see any additional speaker set up info. So am I using the wrong source material, or have I not got the V6A setup correct?

[EDIT] I've changed the room plan as I forgot the subs.

TIA

Room Plan Update.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I count nine speakers. It looks like a 7.2.2 setup. The Yamaha has but seven amplifiers. So, you will need to choose between 7.2 or 5.2.2. Give up ceiling speakers for 7.2 or give up surround back speakers for 5.2.2 setup.

That is not an easy room to setup up. I wouldn’t compromise placement of ear level speakers to get under those ceiling speakers. Is there more you can communicate about what is going on in tgat room?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That speaker at lower right is not placed very close to you.

Possibly side surrounds on speaker stands would be a solution.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would also look for different solutions for surrounds.

Also, YouTube only supports 2.0 last I heard so anything beyond that would be upmixed. Happy to be wrong. Then I could source other material.

T

Trevor Dennis

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback guys. The room is an awkward shape for speaker placement as you can see. While the outline is to scale, there are three lots of double doors as well as windows to two sides, which restricts options. This is a project I started while my wife was away looking after her mum who was having a hip operation, which is just as well as the room was in turmoil for the best part of a week, and I couldn't possibly have managed it while my wife was around.

I had not even told her about the ceiling speakers, but the ceiling already has inset lights and heating and AC vents, so it shouldn't have been a big deal. What was a big deal was fitting them. I'm in my 70s and while reasonably fit, even finding the speaker holes from above turned out to be difficult, and climbing over the AC ducting was terrifying. We have lightweight roofs in NZ because of the earthquakes, which means a big gap between the joists. So I'll be sorry if I can't use those speakers.

Anyway, after reading your suggestions I realised I could easily try them and quickly made a speaker stand out of a photographic light stand. That put the surround speakers equal distance and made an immediate very noticeable improvement. I disconnected the Presence speakers, but I was still not getting anything out of the rear speakers. I tried the other Amp configurations which did get sound from the rear and side speakers, but I don't think it was ATMOS.

I can see the 7.1 + option, but I have not worked out how to force SP2: SUR.BACK
Is that done from the receiver's front panel? I have not found those options particularly intuitive, and I don't have a spotty teenager to work it out for me. It's getting late here so I'll delve into the user guide again in the morning.

Amp Config.jpg

I've read a lot of articles and seen a bunch of YouTube videos about the V6A, and have seen conflicting information regards the seven amplifier channels and nine speaker terminals, but I thought the definitive answer is that the receiver can switch automatically based on the source. Now I am at a loss again and not understanding how it works? From experiments this evening I am strongly inclined to accept Trebdp83's advice to prioritise ear level speakers, because my system is sounding very much better after moving the surround right speaker closer and adjusting the levels. I am just not sure I am hearing 7.1 ATMOS with any of the settings I have tried so far.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In 7.1 there wouldn’t be any sound to the 2 ceiling speakers. Atmos won’t work without ceiling speakers.

in 5.1.2 there would be sound to the ceiling speakers but no sound to the back speakers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The settings can be confusing. There are just seven amplifiers. 7.1 + 1 Zone means that you can have a two channel setup in another room and will give up your surround back channels when you activate that zone. So, you will at once have a 5.1 system in the main room and a 2.0 system in the other room.
C4E0A213-B52D-4372-91E0-5905D562E8D2.jpeg

BAF89982-9709-4900-BB72-914189CD8F38.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Yamaha RX-V6A also features virtual height AND virtual surround back speakers. So, one can activate both virtual height and virtual rear speakers in a 5.1 setup, virtual height speakers in a 7.1 and virtual surround back speakers in a 5.1.2 setup.

There is no substitute for real speakers but there is an added sense of immersion when using virtual speakers with Atmos tracks and the Dolby Surround upmixer with some other tracks as the Yamaha will use every speaker in the setup to produce the effect. With proper speaker placement, it does work.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
The Yamaha RX-V6A also features virtual height AND virtual surround back speakers. So, one can activate both virtual height and virtual rear speakers in a 5.1 setup, virtual height speakers in a 7.1 and virtual surround back speakers in a 5.1.2 setup.

There is no substitute for real speakers but there is an added sense of immersion when using virtual speakers with Atmos tracks and the Dolby Surround upmixer with some other tracks as the Yamaha will use every speaker in the setup to produce the effect. With proper speaker placement, it does work.
Quick question...............when running 5.1.2 with front heights, should the Amp Assign be set to "Basic" or another config?
Thanks

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
My front heights are Dolby Enabled, does that make a diiference?
Thanks

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Yes. The AVR needs to be told they are DAE speakers.
Thanks Sir. So, the Amp Assign should be set to "Basic" and the Layout would be "Dolby Enabled" and not front height? The Klipsch DAE''s are mounted on the front wall close to the ceiling.
Thanks

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, they’d be assigned as Front Height. The Dolby Enabled speaker assignment is for speakers placed on top of the Front speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Sir. So, the Amp Assign should be set to "Basic" and the Layout would be "Dolby Enabled" and not front height? The Klipsch DAE''s are mounted on the front wall close to the ceiling.
Thanks
I’m that case no. They’d be labeled front height as treb says above. I assumed they were placed as dae speakers. Does that particular pair have a switch for choosing DAE or normal? I know that some do.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I’m that case no. They’d be labeled front height as treb says above. I assumed they were placed as dae speakers. Does that particular pair have a switch for choosing DAE or normal? I know that some do.
Thanks William. No switch. They are Klipsch R41sa.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic

In a 5.1.2 setup, being that surround back and presence can't be used at the same time, will the virtual surround back feature still work with different formats?
Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis