Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I currently have this model Denon and ls 50 metas and an r2c and have been racking my brain dealing with the dialogue bleed coming out of surrounds when upmixing any content less than 5.1. Literally complaints all over the web and support pages and the update keeps getting pushed back for this fix. Would a Yamaha be pretty similar in ease of us and features? Apparently they don’t have the dialogue bleed issue
I find the upmixing on the Denon to be quite good. Some content is faulty and can result in strange behavior from any AVR. However, tinkering with various settings while playing any content on the Denon can result in the Bleeding of dialogue across the front. This is remedied by switching sources for a moment and then switching back again. It is an annoyance and just one of several reasons my Denon will be going back to the store. F#%k Denon, I thought Yamaha's GUI was bad. Oh, and HEOS implementation is absolute s#%t! But, the thing passes an amazing picture and the sound is impressive for a box at this price point. If it is a one and done setup and say a game console is used to do all of one's media playback, this is definitely a great option that will not break the bank.

Concerning Re:Zero, I did not notice any bleeding of the 2.0 track dialogue using the Dolby surround up mixer in the Denon. Use anything but Dolby Surround or DTS Neural: X and you may get some strange behavior with any signal.

B

Billyjick74

Audiophyte
I find the upmixing on the Denon to be quite good. Some content is faulty and can result in strange behavior from any AVR. However, tinkering with various settings while playing any content on the Denon can result in the Bleeding of dialogue across the front. This is remedied by switching sources for a moment and then switching back again. It is an annoyance and just one of several reasons my Denon will be going back to the store. F#%k Denon, I thought Yamaha's GUI was bad. Oh, and HEOS implementation is absolute s#%t! But, the thing passes an amazing picture and the sound is impressive for a box at this price point. If it is a one and done setup and say a game console is used to do all of one's media playback, this is definitely a great option that will not break the bank.

Concerning Re:Zero, I did not notice any bleeding of the 2.0 track dialogue using the Dolby surround up mixer in the Denon. Use anything but Dolby Surround or DTS Neural: X and you may get some strange behavior with any signal.
Much appreciated that you took the time to test it out. That’s so weird. I’ve had the dialogue bleed on the s960h and thought it would be remedied on this model. Any other avr you’d recommend that have an easy to use gui like Denon. I was looking at onkyo and pioneer

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
You’re a legend. An anime called Re zero. It’s on HBO max or crunchy roll. Either season. Let me know if you hear the dialogue coming out of rears when it chooses Dolby atmos/surround
Definitely have dialogue bleed on my TSR-700 with Dolby surround selected. Source is an Apple TV.

Neural:X has no such trouble however and works fine and has no bleed onto the surround.

Sorry for delay. Had no access most of the day today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Firmware 1.48 enabled 4K@120/8K60.
Thanks. Also saw the firmware release notes tonight and see they fixed a bug I think I’ve experienced with blank screen and Dolby Vision. I guess we will see.

One other thing of note, I had issues with Control of AV and TV when turning things off and on and even with factory resets could never fix it reliably. I tripped my circuit breaker a day ago and since turning everything back on control has returned. I’ll have to see which device needs a full power off and on to fix. I’m sure I’ve reset my Apple TV unplug but not certain on the receiver and Tv.

B

Billyjick74

Audiophyte
Definitely have dialogue bleed on my TSR-700 with Dolby surround selected. Source is an Apple TV.

Neural:X has no such trouble however and works fine and has no bleed onto the surround.

Sorry for delay. Had no access most of the day today.

Thank you so much!!! I was hoping I didn’t get two faulty Denon models being different and all. Unfortunately neural x just sounds so much worse in my opinion than the Dolby upmix, minus the dialogue bleed. Any solutions/are you keeping your Denon?

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Thank you so much!!! I was hoping I didn’t get two faulty Denon models being different and all. Unfortunately neural x just sounds so much worse in my opinion than the Dolby upmix, minus the dialogue bleed. Any solutions/are you keeping your Denon?
[mention]Trebdp83 [/mention] has the Denon but once RZ50 from Onkyo frees up definitely considering replacing the Yamaha. My son will take the TSR-709 off my hands though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If one is budget minded, something comparable to the TSR-700 was available from Onkyo at Costco online. It’s the slightly tweaked TX-NR6100 called the TX-NR6050. It lost a few watts and THX Select but was similar in every other way I believe. Unfortunately it has disappeared from the Costco website and has been replaced by the Denon AVR-S760H which is now out of stock. The Onkyo is available on a few other sites but not sure if it made its way to the warehouses like the Denon. It was priced at $499.99 but others have it at $649.99.

B

Billyjick74

Audiophyte
If one is budget minded, something comparable to the TSR-700 was available from Onkyo at Costco online. It’s the slightly tweaked TX-NR6100 called the TX-NR6050. It lost a few watts and THX Select but was similar in every other way I believe. Unfortunately it has disappeared from the Costco website and has been replaced by the Denon AVR-S760H which is now out of stock. The Onkyo is available on a few other sites but not sure if it made its way to the warehouses like the Denon. It was priced at $499.99 but others have it at $649.99.
Is the Denon s760h even giving my ls 50 metas the full 75watts if I have an r2c center and klipsch rp 400m for surrounds? I wouldn’t mind spending a bit more for a better avr if you have any recommendations that won’t kill the budget

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You know, regarding the three receivers I've been using lately, it comes down to features and ease of use. For others, inputs/outputs will be a consideration. The Denon AVR-S760H(2021) is a lean and earnest machine that gets the job done. The Onkyo TX-NR696(2019) stays cool under pressure. The Yamaha RX-V6A(2020) is a buggy little droid that has improved with each firmware update. If budget is of the utmost concern, start there. Then, consider feature set. You will lose different features with different models based on the price point so you need to decide what you must have in your setup. My Onkyo does not support HDMI 2.1. It matters not in my current setup but it will if I get a new TV and ever decide to game in 4K@120. It is the winner in this shoot out, but wouldn't be if factoring HDMI 2.1. It would go to the Denon.

Now, anybody who has read many of my posts might be thinking, "Yeah smart ass, but how hot did the Denon get while using it? You f#%ker, you always harp on Denon for getting too hot!" I'm happy to report that the Denon did not get the hottest of the three. I've been known to run these things at 4 ohm setting as it makes no audible difference as far as I can tell and cuts power resulting in reduced heat. But, to torture the lot of them, I ran my 4 ohm speakers at 8 ohm setting and ran them all at Large. Then, I turned it up for some multi channel playback. The Onkyo was the least warm to the touch. I'd describe it as very warm. The Denon came in as very warm/hot. The Yamaha came in very hot. I'm running five 4 ohm speakers. I'd never get another pair of them and run seven speakers set to Large with the Yamaha. I wouldn't think anybody running 7.1/5.1.2 setups with 80hz crossover would have an issue with it, though.

For me, it comes down to settings and streaming features. I'm forever tinkering with settings and stream music often. I prefer the Onkyo control app, GUI and remote control to the others. Yamaha's GUI is s#%t but the Denon takes the crown for worst GUI. The biggest problem is HEOS. While using it to stream music, the GUI drops to 480p with ghastly looking graphics. Going into the setup menu from HEOS also results in a 480p setup menu with graphics that are criminal at any price point in 2021. For those curious, Onkyo's setup menu comes in at 720p and Yamaha wins the resolution game with a setup menu coming in at 1080p. The Denon has the largest yet least capable remote control of the three. F#%k Yamaha for omitting device buttons. But, at least it can control a device while using HDMI-CEC. The Denon does not do so, or at least I haven't figured out how to get it do do so. The Onkyo remote control is the smallest and best equipped in this group. The Onkyo is also the only one that can get you into your streaming services using only the remote control. Denon and Yamaha require Smart devices to use their HEOS and MusicCast apps to stream music. The Denon does have a HEOS button on the remote control that can be used to select favorite stations from various services once they are selected as favorites in the HEOS app. The Yamaha will continue playing the station last used when tuning to the NET input from the remote control but that's it. Oh, and all models support web setup.

As far as the actual boxes, the Yamaha is a quirky looking thing you either love or hate. While I like the look of the one eyed little Imperial droid, that large volume knob should never be touched. It is hands down the cheapest piece of s#%t knob I've ever felt on any device. The smaller select knob is far better feeling and functioning. While the Yamaha front panel screen is the tiniest of the three, it can display the most characters when custom naming devices. The Onkyo's brushed finish and sharp edges give it a tank like look and its front panel screen has the largest characters for those who do not like having to squint to see the display. The Onkyo includes boxes on the front panel screen to display output channels. While the 696 includes an AUX HDMI port up front, the new 6050 and 6100 do not include it and have a USB port in its place. HDMI port up front is lacking on the Denon and Yamaha as well. The Denon is surprisingly good looking with its wide stance and low profile bringing to mind the rear end of a speedster. The volume and selection knobs are the best of the bunch. Are those notches I feel? I don't care for the space saving of the display that abbreviates source information and audio decoding. I miss older Denon models that included input AND output boxes on their display.

Now, I can’t go on without mentioning subwoofer settings and how they differ among the three. Not a big deal here if using speakers set at Small and say an 80hz crossover in the Denon or Onkyo and setting the LPF at 120hz. The Yamaha has no LPF setting. So, where is it set? Who the f#%k knows? What about setting speakers to Large when using robust towers? Fine, but to get bass to the subwoofer you'll need to set the Denon to LFE+Main and the Onkyo to Double Bass. In both cases, the low frequencies will be duplicated and sent to the subwoofer. What about Yamaha’s “Extra Bass?” Abomination! While it does what the others do when speakers are set at Large and simply duplicates the low frequencies to the subwoofer it applies an actual bass boost when speakers are set at Small. Yamaha's manual is worthless in regard to figuring this out. "Extra Bass" needs to be removed from all Yamahas in a firmware update and replaced with a "Duplicate Bass" setting for use only when speakers are set at Large so no boost, aka noise, is applied mistakenly to speakers set at Small. Seriously Yamaha, get rid of that f#%kin' feature.

"Blah, blah, blah you d#%k! Which one sounds the best?" Well, I tried them all using their respective room correction software and tried them all without. The numbers come in pretty close all the way around. Most folks have their biggest issue with their subs and if the numbers come in THAT far off then placement is the real issue and it just isn't going to be overcome with software tweaks. They all sounded good, damn good. But, you hold me to the fire and I'll swear the Onkyo sounded better in Direct mode than the other two when playing music and does a better job with Height Virtualization when playing atmos tracks. The Denon managed the quickest time outputting audio after figuring out that the Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT for atmos and also passes the best image by a hair. But, no Chromecast or DSD support at all on the Denon and SACD players must be set to output in PCM or the Denon will pick up the CD layer. The Denon and Onkyo support DTS Virtual:X while the Yamaha only supports Dolby Atmos height Virtualization. The Onkyo and Yamaha both support Chromecast and DSD and all three of them support Airplay 2 for getting lossless, but not hi-res audio, from an iPhone's Apple Music app. Anyway, those are just some thoughts and opinions based on my experiences with three budget receivers. Happy receiver hunting. I have to pee. :p

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Got my Denon from Costco the GUI is a bit pre DOS but one can live with I have the GoldenEar XL center no surrounds yet & GE Triton3s & a TCL 55 4k they make sweet sound & beats the most expensive Soundbar.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Denon 2016 app and the HEOS app are at least nice looking.

B

Billyjick74

Audiophyte
You know, regarding the three receivers I've been using lately, it comes down to features and ease of use. For others, inputs/outputs will be a consideration. The Denon AVR-S760H(2021) is a lean and earnest machine that gets the job done. The Onkyo TX-NR696(2019) stays cool under pressure. The Yamaha RX-V6A(2020) is a buggy little droid that has improved with each firmware update. If budget is of the utmost concern, start there. Then, consider feature set. You will lose different features with different models based on the price point so you need to decide what you must have in your setup. My Onkyo does not support HDMI 2.1. It matters not in my current setup but it will if I get a new TV and ever decide to game in 4K@120. It is the winner in this shoot out, but wouldn't be if factoring HDMI 2.1. It would go to the Denon.

Now, anybody who has read many of my posts might be thinking, "Yeah smart ass, but how hot did the Denon get while using it? You f#%ker, you always harp on Denon for getting too hot!" I'm happy to report that the Denon did not get the hottest of the three. I've been known to run these things at 4 ohm setting as it makes no audible difference as far as I can tell and cuts power resulting in reduced heat. But, to torture the lot of them, I ran my 4 ohm speakers at 8 ohm setting and ran them all at Large. Then, I turned it up for some multi channel playback. The Onkyo was the least warm to the touch. I'd describe it as very warm. The Denon came in as very warm/hot. The Yamaha came in very hot. I'm running five 4 ohm speakers. I'd never get another pair of them and run seven speakers set to Large with the Yamaha. I wouldn't think anybody running 7.1/5.1.2 setups with 80hz crossover would have an issue with it, though.

For me, it comes down to settings and streaming features. I'm forever tinkering with settings and stream music often. I prefer the Onkyo control app, GUI and remote control to the others. Yamaha's GUI is s#%t but the Denon takes the crown for worst GUI. The biggest problem is HEOS. While using it to stream music, the GUI drops to 480p with ghastly looking graphics. Going into the setup menu from HEOS also results in a 480p setup menu with graphics that are criminal at any price point in 2021. For those curious, Onkyo's setup menu comes in at 720p and Yamaha wins the resolution game with a setup menu coming in at 1080p. The Denon has the largest yet least capable remote control of the three. F#%k Yamaha for omitting device buttons. But, at least it can control a device while using HDMI-CEC. The Denon does not do so, or at least I haven't figured out how to get it do do so. The Onkyo remote control is the smallest and best equipped in this group. The Onkyo is also the only one that can get you into your streaming services using only the remote control. Denon and Yamaha require Smart devices to use their HEOS and MusicCast apps to stream music. The Denon does have a HEOS button on the remote control that can be used to select favorite stations from various services once they are selected as favorites in the HEOS app. The Yamaha will continue playing the station last used when tuning to the NET input from the remote control but that's it. Oh, and all models support web setup.

As far as the actual boxes, the Yamaha is a quirky looking thing you either love or hate. While I like the look of the one eyed little Imperial droid, that large volume knob should never be touched. It is hands down the cheapest piece of s#%t knob I've ever felt on any device. The smaller select knob is far better feeling and functioning. While the Yamaha front panel screen is the tiniest of the three, it can display the most characters when custom naming devices. The Onkyo's brushed finish and sharp edges give it a tank like look and its front panel screen has the largest characters for those who do not like having to squint to see the display. The Onkyo includes boxes on the front panel screen to display output channels. While the 696 includes an AUX HDMI port up front, the new 6050 and 6100 do not include it and have a USB port in its place. HDMI port up front is lacking on the Denon and Yamaha as well. The Denon is surprisingly good looking with its wide stance and low profile bringing to mind the rear end of a speedster. The volume and selection knobs are the best of the bunch. Are those notches I feel? I don't care for the space saving of the display that abbreviates source information and audio decoding. I miss older Denon models that included input AND output boxes on their display.

Now, I can’t go on without mentioning subwoofer settings and how they differ among the three. Not a big deal here if using speakers set at Small and say an 80hz crossover in the Denon or Onkyo and setting the LPF at 120hz. The Yamaha has no LPF setting. So, where is it set? Who the f#%k knows? What about setting speakers to Large when using robust towers? Fine, but to get bass to the subwoofer you'll need to set the Denon to LFE+Main and the Onkyo to Double Bass. In both cases, the low frequencies will be duplicated and sent to the subwoofer. What about Yamaha’s “Extra Bass?” Abomination! While it does what the others do when speakers are set at Large and simply duplicates the low frequencies to the subwoofer it applies an actual bass boost when speakers are set at Small. Yamaha's manual is worthless in regard to figuring this out. "Extra Bass" needs to be removed from all Yamahas in a firmware update and replaced with a "Duplicate Bass" setting for use only when speakers are set at Large so no boost, aka noise, is applied mistakenly to speakers set at Small. Seriously Yamaha, get rid of that f#%kin' feature.

"Blah, blah, blah you d#%k! Which one sounds the best?" Well, I tried them all using their respective room correction software and tried them all without. The numbers come in pretty close all the way around. Most folks have their biggest issue with their subs and if the numbers come in THAT far off then placement is the real issue and it just isn't going to be overcome with software tweaks. They all sounded good, damn good. But, you hold me to the fire and I'll swear the Onkyo sounded better in Direct mode than the other two when playing music and does a better job with Height Virtualization when playing atmos tracks. The Denon managed the quickest time outputting audio after figuring out that the Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT for atmos and also passes the best image by a hair. But, no Chromecast or DSD support at all on the Denon and SACD players must be set to output in PCM or the Denon will pick up the CD layer. The Denon and Onkyo support DTS Virtual:X while the Yamaha only supports Dolby Atmos height Virtualization. The Onkyo and Yamaha both support Chromecast and DSD and all three of them support Airplay 2 for getting lossless, but not hi-res audio, from an iPhone's Apple Music app. Anyway, those are just some thoughts and opinions based on my experiences with three budget receivers. Happy receiver hunting. I have to pee. :p
Thank you for the super in depth analysis. I got the Denon from Costco so maybe I’ll order the Onkyo and do a comparison before returning one. It sounds like I might like it better

B

Billyjick74

Audiophyte
[mention]Trebdp83 [/mention] has the Denon but once RZ50 from Onkyo frees up definitely considering replacing the Yamaha. My son will take the TSR-709 off my hands though.

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if the Onkyo models have the dialogue bleed issue

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“No Larry! I already spent the money my uncle Billy and aunt Martha sent me and I took most of Wally’s money, too.” “But Beaver, it has the best feature set for the money!” “Fuckin’ Larry!”:mad:
6D047B2F-C99D-475E-ACD6-A50723D6B019.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Still playing with the new Onkyo. The other Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha are licking their wounds as I torture the TX-NR6050. There are a few issues, but it’s looking good and we may have a new winner in this Budget Receiver battle! “Details f#%ker! We want details!” Ok, I’ll give you one, maybe the best one. There is absolutely no issue with atmos tracks from Apple TV’s dolby MAT delivery. Audio is output with no hesitation. So, no more missing those first few notes on an atmos music track and having to go back and pick ‘em up. Joy!

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
RZ50 is making it's way from stranded ships to some folks homes & wonder how does it stack up to NR 6050 ?.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, it’s bigger and better in almost every way. But, for anybody looking for the best bang for buck, the $499 TX-NR6050 really is a great receiver at a really great price. It’s also as low as anyone should go in Onkyo’s lineup. If one had the extra cash for the TX-NR6100, I’d tell them to get the TX-NR6050 and pocket the difference. But, this is a Yamaha TSR-700 and RX-V6A thread. I wouldn’t recommend them at all over the Denon or the Onkyo. I wouldn’t recommend any new Yamaha below the RX-A4A for HDMI 2.1 and other reasons. But, at that price point, you are in Denon X3700H and Onkyo RZ50 range and things really start getting interesting.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That was a long winded sonofabitch!!!!!
But thanks for all the keystrokes brother. I enjoyed that.

T

themcbrooms

Audiophyte
Still playing with the new Onkyo. The other Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha are licking their wounds as I torture the TX-NR6050. There are a few issues, but it’s looking good and we may have a new winner in this Budget Receiver battle! “Details f#%ker! We want details!” Ok, I’ll give you one, maybe the best one. There is absolutely no issue with atmos tracks from Apple TV’s dolby MAT delivery. Audio is output with no hesitation. So, no more missing those first few notes on an atmos music track and having to go back and pick ‘em up. Joy!
Yes. Glad to hear this!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis