Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Another CX RX-V6A owner here... after reading this and other threads, I've seen the hdr color banding and aware of eARC issues. What is the general consensus here with others having the same issues? Hope that a firmware update fixes everything... deal with the color banding and switch video in the receiver? Run through the TV and deal with eARC? Take it back?

Also, is anyone having an issue bringing up the gui when displaying apple tv content? I have no issues when other content is being displayed, but when I hit setup with apple tv playing, I get a black screen and the gui never comes up.
I’m running to the TV and using eARC to the receiver. They have until mid January to fix it. That’s when my eligibility to return ends.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Another CX RX-V6A owner here... after reading this and other threads, I've seen the hdr color banding and aware of eARC issues. What is the general consensus here with others having the same issues? Hope that a firmware update fixes everything... deal with the color banding and switch video in the receiver? Run through the TV and deal with eARC? Take it back?

Also, is anyone having an issue bringing up the gui when displaying apple tv content? I have no issues when other content is being displayed, but when I hit setup with apple tv playing, I get a black screen and the gui never comes up.
My V6A doesn't have the banding issue but my tv is a Vizio 4K. About the only thing my unit isn't doing is upscaling to 4K from my cable box. It does pass 4K pass though from my 4K player streaming and disc. Hopefully Yamaha will send updates for 4K upscaling soon. This pic is from my 4K player streaming Netflix right now, 4K tv show's Dolby Vision and 4K upscale. The 2nd is from my cable box source it shows only 1080i on tv. Anyone else noticed that their V6A isn't upscaling to 4K?
8A9BA8FA-5DC6-4DD1-A32C-0E45282FD42E.jpeg
ADBC3544-4617-4849-BD0A-A10831C4D922.jpeg

R

rtgordon

Audiophyte
My V6A doesn't have the banding issue but my tv is a Vizio 4K. About the only thing my unit isn't doing is upscaling to 4K from my cable box. It does pass 4K pass though from my 4K player streaming and disc. Hopefully Yamaha will send updates for 4K upscaling soon. This pic is from my 4K player streaming Netflix right now, 4K tv show's Dolby Vision and 4K upscale. The 2nd is from my cable box source it shows only 1080i on tv. Anyone else noticed that their V6A isn't upscaling to 4K?
Good that you are getting video coming through. I have read about issues with the Nintendo Switch and 4k upscaling... no video being passed through. The solution I read was to turn off 4k upscaling.

Also, I had trouble identifying the banding issue... not sure if it applies to your specific TV or not. It seems that only in bright daylight/blue sky scenes it really becomes obvious. It took some time for me to identify, but once I did, it was easier to spot.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Good that you are getting video coming through. I have read about issues with the Nintendo Switch and 4k upscaling... no video being passed through. The solution I read was to turn off 4k upscaling.

Also, I had trouble identifying the banding issue... not sure if it applies to your specific TV or not. It seems that only in bright daylight/blue sky scenes it really becomes obvious. It took some time for me to identify, but once I did, it was easier to spot.
The banding issues seems to be with certain TVs. Sony X900H and LG CX both have color banding issues with the new Yamaha receivers. Maybe other TVs as well. Yamaha support told me they tested on a 2017 model LG and didn’t have it. They haven’t tested any 2020 model TVs.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
See guys, I'm not crazy. Well, I'm not wrong about this receiver's issues anyway. Yes, the blackout screen is an annoyance. But, I figured a few more things out. First, I was wrong to say I turned off HDR in my TV. Actually, the setting is for UHD color. Turn it off, and no more HDR. However, you also clip your colors all the way around. So, I turned UHD Color back on in the TV but left HDR off in the Apple TV 4K and Sony UBP-X800. Now, the Apple TV 4K can send 4:4:4 and is not locked to 4:2:0. I also set it to match frame rate but NOT dynamic range as this will activate HDR in content that has it. I matched the range because the Apple TV cannot send out 50hz material out without issue through the Yamaha. Watching "The Great British Baking Show" I noticed some strange stuttering of the picture. I applied some motion interpolation on the TV. Nope, worse. I tried sending everything out at 50hz. The show looked great but everything else developed the stuttering issue and I simply reversed the problem. So, I matched the frame rate. This results in a blackout screen when changing from 24fps material but this is not uncommon for any device and is supposed to be dealt with when QMS comes online with a future firmware update. Now everything looks fine after a brief blackout when 24fps material is displayed. Oh, there is still the Apple TV 4K's 24fps "skip". That is Apple's problem. Now, for the audio. Yikes! I was having a hell of and time with audio from the Apple TV 4K. I'd switch from one app to another and my audio would be gone. Changing to Pure Direct and back on the Yamaha would fix it. But, it would be an issue again and again. Looking at the audio input signal on the Yamaha's GUI, it displayed "ATMOS/PCM" as the format. But, the channel input showed " - - - " and channel output showed "5.1" as I am currently using a 5.1 setup. I found that the Yamaha has an issue with Netflix from my Apple TV 4K in that it thinks for just a split second that it is not an ATMOS/PCM signal but rather a DTS-HD signal as that is what it displayed first and then quickly changes to ATMOS/PCM. It also disabled the ability to use Dolby Surround and I could only select from STRAIGHT, DTS Neural:X and DTS Neo:6. I finally went into the Apple TV 4K menus and set it to ignore ATMOS but I did NOT set it to change format. This resulted in a reset of some settings and HDR was activated so I had to go back and turn that off. Now, instead of an input channel label of " - - - ", I now have a label of "3/4/0.1" when watching Dolby Atmos labeled material on Netflix and my audio problems are gone. So, at least for my setup, the optimal settings for my Apple TV 4K through the Yamaha TSR-700 are 4K SDR, Match Frame Rate, Ignore ATMOS and do NOT change audio format. Turning on 4K upscaling in the receiver keeps the blackouts from happening when activating the GUI while watching the Apple TV 4K. It worked for me anyway. However, sorting out the Apple TV 4K did nothing for my TiVo as the 4K upscaling stopped working there and the GUI blackouts come and go. UGHH! Using different devices hooked up to the Yamaha and sending that info out to different TVs will result in different issues for different folks. I'm using a 2017 Samsung TV. I really hope somebody at Yamaha is taking notes and these issues are addressed when they roll out future firmware. In the meantime I am very frustrated but am also having lots of fun. So, there you go.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
See guys, I'm not crazy. Well, I'm not wrong about this receiver's issues anyway. Yes, the blackout screen is an annoyance. But, I figured a few more things out. First, I was wrong to say I turned off HDR in my TV. Actually, the setting is for UHD color. Turn it off, and no more HDR. However, you also clip your colors all the way around. So, I turned UHD Color back on in the TV but left HDR off in the Apple TV 4K and Sony UBP-X800. Now, the Apple TV 4K can send 4:4:4 and is not locked to 4:2:0. I also set it to match frame rate but NOT dynamic range as this will activate HDR in content that has it. I matched the range because the Apple TV cannot send out 50hz material out without issue through the Yamaha. Watching "The Great British Baking Show" I noticed some strange stuttering of the picture. I applied some motion interpolation on the TV. Nope, worse. I tried sending everything out at 50hz. The show looked great but everything else developed the stuttering issue and I simply reversed the problem. So, I matched the frame rate. This results in a blackout screen when changing from 24fps material but this is not uncommon for any device and is supposed to be dealt with when QMS comes online with a future firmware update. Now everything looks fine after a brief blackout when 24fps material is displayed. Oh, there is still the Apple TV 4K's 24fps "skip". That is Apple's problem. Now, for the audio. Yikes! I was having a hell of and time with audio from the Apple TV 4K. I'd switch from one app to another and my audio would be gone. Changing to Pure Direct and back on the Yamaha would fix it. But, it would be an issue again and again. Looking at the audio input signal on the Yamaha's GUI, it displayed "ATMOS/PCM" as the format. But, the channel input showed " - - - " and channel output showed "5.1" as I am currently using a 5.1 setup. I found that the Yamaha has an issue with Netflix from my Apple TV 4K in that it thinks for just a split second that it is not an ATMOS/PCM signal but rather a DTS-HD signal as that is what it displayed first and then quickly changes to ATMOS/PCM. It also disabled the ability to use Dolby Surround and I could only select from STRAIGHT, DTS Neural:X and DTS Neo:6. I finally went into the Apple TV 4K menus and set it to ignore ATMOS but I did NOT set it to change format. This resulted in a reset of some settings and HDR was activated so I had to go back and turn that off. Now, instead of an input channel label of " - - - ", I now have a label of "3/4/0.1" when watching Dolby Atmos labeled material on Netflix and my audio problems are gone. So, at least for my setup, the optimal settings for my Apple TV 4K through the Yamaha TSR-700 are 4K SDR, Match Frame Rate, Ignore ATMOS and do NOT change audio format. Turning on 4K upscaling in the receiver keeps the blackouts from happening when activating the GUI while watching the Apple TV 4K. It worked for me anyway. However, sorting out the Apple TV 4K did nothing for my TiVo as the 4K upscaling stopped working there and the GUI blackouts come and go. UGHH! Using different devices hooked up to the Yamaha and sending that info out to different TVs will result in different issues for different folks. I'm using a 2017 Samsung TV. I really hope somebody at Yamaha is taking notes and these issues are addressed when they roll out future firmware. In the meantime I am very frustrated but am also having lots of fun. So, there you go.
Thanks for posting up, I still can't get my V6A to upconvert to 4K from my cable box. It shows, Video in HDMI 1080i Video out HDMI 1080i color format YCbCR 4:4:4 24bit. Was gonna call into Yamaha CS, but after reading all of what you just did I'll hold off till the updates come through.
92110F71-DC62-41A5-84C0-B0ABFB90426B.jpeg

276D215C-8146-43F8-82BB-4794D30E90F9.jpeg

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have to believe that the HDMI issues are a result of the crippling of the feature set with the current firmware. I had run the 1.23 firmware update after a day with it at 1.13. That's when things got worse. Funny, since it was advertised as a bug fixer. I think we RX-V6A/TSR-700 buyers are guinea pigs and the Aventage models buyers will benefit from our suffering. It's fine as long as it all gets worked out in the end. I would hate to have had these issues after spending big money on a flagship model.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I have to believe that the HDMI issues are a result of the crippling of the feature set with the current firmware. I had run the 1.23 firmware update after a day with it at 1.13. That's when things got worse. Funny, since it was advertised as a bug fixer. I think we RX-V6A/TSR-700 buyers are guinea pigs and the Aventage models buyers will benefit from our suffering. It's fine as long as it all gets worked out in the end. I would hate to have had these issues after spending big money on a flagship model.
I just got off the phone with Yamaha CS, gotta wait till tomorrow, the Yamaha lady said that the AVR Department is only opened from 9am till 3pm Central time. I did call into World Wide Stereo talked with one of their Peeps cool guy, but all he could do was recommend Yamaha CS. They WWS, do know about the Future updates to come for the new units. All he could do was recommend calling into Yamaha CS. So tomorrow it is. As of right now my V6A is good just no 4K upscale from cable box other than that all good so far. I can live with that till Yamaha updates come though and hopefully all gets worked out. There are a bunch of Features that will hopefully be Activated with the updates. I really like this AVR, i've paid 3 to 4 times more in the pass for AVR's and got a lot less. I Usually wait on buying a new model because well every new line almost always has bugs to be worked out.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My last three AVRs were used. I couldn't pass on the price of the new Yamaha. I also wanted to see it in person. The funny looking Imperial droid has grown on me.

R

rtgordon

Audiophyte
Turning on 4K upscaling in the receiver keeps the blackouts from happening when activating the GUI while watching the Apple TV 4K. It worked for me anyway.
I will give that a try... and re-read some of the other thoughts later ;)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
My last three AVRs were used. I couldn't pass on the price of the new Yamaha. I also wanted to see it in person. The funny looking Imperial droid has grown on me.
Lol, yeah I wasn't crazy about the Big volume knob either at first. The new display is much welcomed for my old eyes I can see it from my sofa. I tried out the "Touch" sound display on the front panel works like a smartphone touch thing.

Last edited:
X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
I hope you guy have better luck than I did with trying to call in. 3 hours on hold, I gave up and played email tag.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I hope you guy have better luck than I did with trying to call in. 3 hours on hold, I gave up and played email tag.
Thanks, really not looking forward to it. Today they picked up in about 2 minutes but that was only to direct my call to the AVR department. I'll post up tomorrow after I call in.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, really not looking forward to it. Today they picked up in about 2 minutes but that was only to direct my call to the AVR department. I'll post up tomorrow after I call in.
I suspect you will need to call them the very minute they open. I called about 3 hours before their phone tech guys were supposed to close. I was 28th in line and it got to next in line and stayed that way for 45 mins before said the hell with it.

I guess they only have one guy working the phone.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I’ve had good luck with them sometimes it takes awhile but I’ve found if the tech don’t know they can connect you to like an repair tech there which they did for me when lightning took out the main processor in my Rx-a 3020 . The dude talked me threw menus nobody should play with we tried 4 different hard resets she was fried . He even put me in touch with the repair teah I sent it to wasn’t cheap but was cheaper than a new top of the line at the time . They upgraded the chipset and put a new main board and an new hdmi board it’s worked perfectly for two years . My advice is if you get no satisfaction go over the dudes head . There very knowledgeable if ya get the right guy .

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Why do you want the AVR to do the upscale? Any decent TV will do a better job than even some of the most expensive receivers.

B

bommai

Audioholic Intern
The banding issues seems to be with certain TVs. Sony X900H and LG CX both have color banding issues with the new Yamaha receivers. Maybe other TVs as well. Yamaha support told me they tested on a 2017 model LG and didn’t have it. They haven’t tested any 2020 model TVs.
Yikes. I ordered the TSR-700 from Costco. I have the 85” Sony x90ch tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I will note that many of the products mentioned here have updates that they need to get. Even the TV's. Samsung has a nasty habit for example of not updating over the network but must be updated by downloading the firmware to a USB thumb drive then updating using the thumb drive. Basically RTFM and you might be able to resolve some of the incompatibilities. 4K 60 though also requires HDMI 2.0b minimum with HDCP 2.2 or later. Some HDMI cables are not of the best quality to transmit the high frequency signals needed for 4K/8K signals. If you have eliminated the cheap stuff, the problem is in settings. Some of you are figuring it out for the equipment you have. Good job. But updates can fix issues.

Oh, I did check with my cable company and they note they only broadcast a max signal of 1080p. 4k upversion may best be done at the TV.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So far all good with my RX V6A, I was streaming Netflix from my 4K player yesterday and lost the video, but not audio. I was like, Dam! Another bug, but I noticed my 4K tv Displayed saying, No HDMI Signal. So I went into the settings checked CEC and yep you guessed it, for some reason it lost the video signal. I Rescanned and the video popped back up. Dam CEC! Anyways everything else is great, No banding issues no audio issues. Just waiting on updates for now. I spoke with Yamaha CS yesterday the Tech guy did say that the updates will Implement all the features. Like 4K upscale and all the others also. They do know about others having banding issues with Apple TV,s.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Chatted with Yamaha today. I communicated just a few of the issues plaguing my TSR-700 with "Tracey" before being asked for my number because I was being moved to tier 2 support. "Tracey" ended the chat session before I could say thank you. I will have probably returned the receiver before they get back to me. It was short but not exactly sweet. Still, we had some good times. I remember when YPAO set my MK442Ts and MK442 center channel to "Large" with a volume gain of 5. I said, "Ok, you sinister little cyclops. You either wanna' commit suicide or you wanna' destroy my speakers. F#%k it, you're on! Let's make it interesting. How about we watch Aquaman nice and loud?" The Daytons didn't even flinch. Watching those little woofers go, I gotta' say, I was impressed. I haven't been able to pound like that without cramping up in years.:oops:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis