Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Similar to how I have mine set up now. My speakers are large, 200w towers up front, and I find if you set the mt osmall they just sound whimpy, if you don't turn double bass on with large fronts it just won't use the subs at all. If you set everything to small and double bass off the speakers sound weak and the bass feels disjointed and the whole system lacks any punch at all. Unfortunately, with large and double bass you do get some bass distortion at loud levels.

The sound out of this is smooth and etailed but it just has no punch, no inpact. My old Onkyo you would feel it in your gut, it would shake the windows, this is just whimpy.
What is "Extra Bass" anyways? is it something like the old stereo receivers of days gone by? where they had this button on the front panel that said " Loudness". Funny how those Engineers change up things. Extra bass, double bass, loudness, WTH man just tell us what the hell it really does. Than if you jump over to Denon or Marantz or Sony, their Engineers call it something else like click on the "Optimizer" WTH is that and what does it do? But No Yamaha gotta go and put in YPAO with 3 more sound fields! Flat, Neutral, Fronts! Can't they make their minds up! :D

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I keep waiting for one of them to advertise sound reflection absorption tech and call it Tampax Enhanced.:eek:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
:D
And Felix the Cat?
Oh yeah, forgot about that lil Scrawny cat. Pluto and Popeye where always fighting over Oliveoil all the time. Watching that cartoon ruined me for women, Them old cartoons sure did Stereotype women in those day's. I sure ran into a lot of Lucy type girls in grade school they surly must've watched Charlie Brown.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, they were sailors and pickins’ were slim out at sea. But still, how is it that Olive Oil looked like the one with scurvy?:p

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
What is "Extra Bass" anyways? is it something like the old stereo receivers of days gone by? where they had this button on the front panel that said " Loudness". Funny how those Engineers change up things. Extra bass, double bass, loudness, WTH man just tell us what the hell it really does. Than if you jump over to Denon or Marantz or Sony, their Engineers call it something else like click on the "Optimizer" WTH is that and what does it do? But No Yamaha gotta go and put in YPAO with 3 more sound fields! Flat, Neutral, Fronts! Can't they make their minds up! :D
When Extra Bass is turn ON, there is more bass boost through the Front L/R loudspeakers assuming these are set as Large. In my opinion I don't like this feature as it can tend to push the AVR's amplifier into audible distortion and possible clipping. If the AVR is set up properly with full range Front L/R loudspeakers and subwoofer, the bass should be balanced through the L/R Front loudspeakers along with the LFE channel driving the subwoofer.. The overall bass response should be clean & tight but not boomy. Though some users may activate Extra Bass because they don't have a subwoofer in the system and are wanting more bass....

Just my $0.02... ;)

D

D4v3

Enthusiast
When Extra Bass is turn ON, there is more bass boost through the Front L/R loudspeakers assuming these are set as Large. In my opinion I don't like this feature as it can tend to push the AVR's amplifier into audible distortion and possible clipping. If the AVR is set up properly with full range Front L/R loudspeakers and subwoofer, the bass should be balanced through the L/R Front loudspeakers along with the LFE channel driving the subwoofer.. The overall bass response should be clean & tight but not boomy. Though some users may activate Extra Bass because they don't have a subwoofer in the system and are wanting more bass....

Just my $0.02... ;)
What you described is for speakers set to small. When speakers are set to large the subs don't really get used, setting double bass on turns on the subs while you have speakers set to large.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
What you described is for speakers set to small. When speakers are set to large the subs don't really get used, setting double bass on turns on the subs while you have speakers set to large.
Don't know about all AVRs but... :rolleyes:
When the Front L/R loudspeakers are selected as Small the subwoofer is forced ON...
The last thing U want to do if U only have Small Front L/R loudspeakers is to boost the bass as smaller loudspeakers are not capable of handling a lot of bass boost...

Just my $0.02... ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Extra Bass increases bass to the mains with or without a sub. When using an Onkyo and speakers are set to full band, turning Double Bass ON sends the same bass signal for the mains to the SUB in case the mains can’t quite cut it. Results will vary of course.

Old Wolf

Old Wolf

Audiophyte
Hello friends. I ordered this receiver waiting to arrive. I have a question:
If I use the "Surround Back/Zone 2/Bi-Amp" output on the receiver YAMAHA (RXV6A) to Bi-Amp the front speakers Sinclair Brighton (BT36) 250W towers, then can I connect the YAMAHA Music cast wireless speakers to the surround output!?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, received a call from Yamaha about specific issues I had with the TSR-700. Too bad they didn't call before I returned it.:confused: Might be returning the Onkyo now. BB isn't price matching for items on sale this week. So, if a guy bought something there last week, he needs to return it for a full refund and then buy a new one at the sale price. Ridiculous.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So, received a call from Yamaha about specific issues I had with the TSR-700. Too bad they didn't call before I returned it.:confused: Might be returning the Onkyo now. BB isn't price matching for items on sale this week. So, if a guy bought something there last week, he needs to return it for a full refund and then buy a new one at the sale price. Ridiculous.
Did they mention anything about Firmware updates

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I wasn't bound by any confidentiality agreement so I will extend some information since it was extended to me and I'll try to do it with some tact. An exact date for firmware updates is not available at this time. Activation of Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization will occur it seems in it's own update but their was nothing confirmed about DTS:X Virtualizer. There is currently a bug fix update but it did nothing for the issues I had with my TSR-700 before I returned it. When I asked about previous model updates, I was told there will be no updates for 2019 models to enhance any feature set. They are what they are. Yamaha is aware of and is working on resolving issues with HDR color banding. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable about Yamaha products and could not have been nicer during our conversation. So, good hire Yamaha!:)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I wasn't bound by any confidentiality agreement so I will extend some information since it was extended to me and I'll try to do it with some tact. An exact date for firmware updates is not available at this time. Activation of Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization will occur it seems in it's own update but their was nothing confirmed about DTS:X Virtualizer. There is currently a bug fix update but it did nothing for the issues I had with my TSR-700 before I returned it. When I asked about previous model updates, I was told there will be no updates for 2019 models to enhance any feature set. They are what they are. Yamaha is aware of and is working on resolving issues with HDR color banding. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable about Yamaha products and could not have been nicer during our conversation. So, good hire Yamaha!:)
Think there’s some dates in Gene’s YouTube video with Yamaha related to HDMI. Some features are waiting on HDMI dates for final specs on repeaters of HDMI 2.1. An AVR has to switch all the HDMI traffic so its a repeater. That’s more complex than a source or display and the specs come in soon. And also the testing involved after having that “recipe” to make sure the features work has a timeframe as well.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
I got the same phone call. I need to call them back and tell them what my setup was. They said in my voicemail they can’t see any color banding with what they are testing.

X

Xerith

Junior Audioholic
Well when I try to return their call, no one picks up. Go figure. That’s more or less what I have come to expect from Yamaha....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Saw that deal. Almost good enough to make me get another one, almost.:p

E

EBN

Audioholic
The RX-A2 (MSRP $800) is supposed to replace the RX-A880 (MSRP $900)

The RX-V6 (MSRP $600) is supposed to replace RX-V685 (MSRP $650)

Their specs look pretty much identical, except the A2 has 3YR warranty vs 2YR warranty of the V6.

Unless somebody opens them up and do a forensic comparison on all the parts, we probably won't know what the difference is. :D
5year warranty on A2, 22% larger caps, fift foot etc.

49:03 forward

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis