Yamaha rx-v685 Stuck in Zone 2

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
I need some serious help. I got this receiver and my remote only works in Zone 2. I tried resetting the receiver to factory and I reset the remote. The Main to Zone 2 switch seems to work fine, but I can't get back to Main. Any help is greatly appreciated.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I never use my physical remote control (it's boxed up in the closet). I only use the AV Controller WiFi Remote Control App on my iPad and Android phone.

You might try the app.

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
That's a great alternative. I do use the app as well, but knowing my system is not functioning properly is really bothering me.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So when you move the toggle switch back on the top of the remote it does not function for main zone?

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
Correct I toggle the switch to main, push power and zone 2 turns on

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I would think it is the remote that is bad and not the receiver. The receiver can only respond to the ir signal it receives from the remote. Do you happen to have a harmony or a learning remote you could try?

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
I have been using the app on my phone. I also would have just chalked it up to the remote switch being bad, but I seen another brand receiver having this issue and there was a fix. Unfortunately, my receiver does not have the button that was used to do it. All other buttons work and I have to use party mode to change my inputs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your manual indicates there's a button on the front panel for zone 2 too....to the right of the main zone button on the front panel (smaller, tho). This receiver is missing that button or it doesn't work or ?

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
Yes, the button is there and it also works for powering on zone 2

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the button is there and it also works for powering on zone 2
The front panel description for the button talks about both enabling and disabling, so it doesn't disable? That front panel reference has a link to another page where it says this:

1. Set MAIN/ZONE 2 to “ZONE 2”.

1. Press "x" (power button).

• Each time you press the key, Zone2 output is enabled or disabled. When Zone2 output is enabled, “ZONE2” lights up in the front display.

1. Use the input selection keys to select an input source."

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The front panel button works as it should. It enables and disables zone 2. If I disable zone 2 my remote does not work. If I push the power button on the remote it powers on zone 2 and not main even if my switch is on main. I would have to push party mode to get any functionality out of my remote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Repair or replace the remote then....in the meantime you'll just have to use the main panel :)

S

syeko27

Audiophyte
I leaned towards the replace option. I seen the price was over $100. Next option is attempt a repair

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I leaned towards the replace option. I seen the price was over $100. Next option is attempt a repair
Just might be a video on youtube about it. I've opened up a few Harmony universal remotes. That would be a suggestion, getting a universal remote from Harmony. Unfortunately they, i.e. Logitech the brand's owner, announced discontinuation recently. Not sure what's available. $100 sounds high....that a quote from Yamaha themselves?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
There is a remote control app for Yamaha receivers. Both iphone and Android. Also works on iPad

Yamaha AV Controller App

Or you could use their musicast app which is more geared towards multi room and streaming but all the features of the AV controller App are accessible in the Musiccast app too. It’s just more awkward. Download both apps if you can.

Yamaha Musiccast App.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The AV Controller app is better than the physical remote control anyway. :D

You can control the Zones and everything else easier using the AV Controller, which works 100% of the time even when the whole house Internet is DOWN.

The Yamaha AV Controller app is the best WiFi remote I have ever used. Believe it. The Denon/Marantz WiFi remote app sucks. And other AVR companies don’t even have one.

All Yamaha users should be using the AV Controller. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is an image of the MusicCast app. You can name each Zone. The MusicCast and AV Controller can work together or alone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis