Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver Reviewed!

W

wagonorsuv

Enthusiast
special request on the review if not finished and in editing mode already...

Having gone back and forth with receiver only then adding high end 2 channel amp to mix only to go back to receiver (space, $$$, overall value), I'm very interested in reading what Gene and team think of the 2700's audio qualities in terms of power, dynamics, etc compared to the higher priced receivers such as the Denon 4806 ( even thought they have big price difference - $1500 vs $3500) as it compares more closely to my denon 5700's power.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would imagine the 2700 is very similar to the 2600, I think the 2700 just added a few features and DSP modes, and dropped THX. But there could be more to it than that... I just wish they would add HDMI 1.3 to their receivers.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I know Gene mentioned that he would try to get the review in by late December right after Christmas at the latest :p

I was impatiently waiting to see what the AH staff thinks as well, but couldn't wait longer and finally bought my RX-V2700....and could not be happier!

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Congradulations, that it's one sweet avr.
Kelly
evilkat said:
I know Gene mentioned that he would try to get the review in by late December right after Christmas at the latest :p

I was impatiently waiting to see what the AH staff thinks as well, but couldn't wait longer and finally bought my RX-V2700....and could not be happier!

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
Wow

I've had my 2700 for about 10 days now and I am really loving it. I replaced a 2500 as I wanted the HDMI and switching, not to mention the upconversion. I really noticed a difference in the sound. Maybe it is just me but the separation seems better, cleaner. More power? The music 7 channel enhancer mode does a nice job of spreading out the soundfield across the front 3 channels. Definitely runs cooler than the 2500 did. YPAO did not seem to improve (not that I was disappointed with the 2500) as I have read from some others that it is supposed to be more precise. Still cannot accurately find the SW! I have not yet started to play with the networking. I use a Roku Soundbridge now and I have heard that the control in the 2700 is pretty sluggish and not user friendly, but again, that is what I have heard.

surveyor is right, it IS one sweet AVR. 1.3? Don't know if I should have waited or not. If I waited for component, and then TOSLINK, and then HDMI, and then 1.3........I would still be using my 1982 JC Penney MCS system:rolleyes: :eek:

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Surevyor !

I agree with Woohoo on all his points. This thing runs really cool. A while back we had a LOTR marathon with a couple of buddies to stress test my system. We basically watched the extended edition trilogy from 11am to 3am :D

By the end of the second movie I checked the receiver and the chassis had a gentle warmth to it that felt just right! This thing runs surprisingly cool, and add to the fact that there is not much clearance between the top shelf and the top of the receiver's vents (the back is completely open though!) where I have it placed, the AVR really impresses me.

Also agree with the YPAO assessment. I had to boost the bass signal as well as the center channel signal (I didn't do any calibrating outside of YPAO...this was done based on what *I* thought sounded right).

I like the remote, which although a little cumbersome perhaps, is actually backlit, so any UI issues are mitigated since you can find the button u need rather easily.

The OSD is great, but one thing I haven't gotten working is to display a volume indicator while watching DVDs when connected via HDMI/DVI. For some reason I can't get it to overlay a vol indicator on the video signal (not sure if this is even possible for the AVR...but I felt like it should be!), so I have to squint away at the receiver to figure out what the volume level is!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I had some troubles with my first review sample so this delayed my schedule considerably. I am actually writing up the review as we speak and if all goes well, it should be online in 2 weeks.

To give you a sneak peek, here are some preliminary power measurements:

Power tested: Fullbandwidth (20Hz to 20kHz) with < 0.1% THD + N

8 ohms 1CH
8 ohm mode: 144wpc
6 ohm mode: 78wpc

4 ohms, 1CH
8 ohm mode: 272wpc
6 ohm mode: 144wpc

Bottom Line: Keep the impedance switch set to "8 ohms or more" ALL THE TIME, REGARDLESS OF SPEAKER IMPEDANCE

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Thanks Gene...can't wait for the full-blown review. I believe it will be the ONLY review on the net of this receiver by a pro.

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
Love my 2700.

I wam waiting for Gene's review which will hopefully clear up the debated LFE issue.

I don't have the proper player to test for proper LFE levels over HDMI/PCM.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
evilkat said:
The OSD is great, but one thing I haven't gotten working is to display a volume indicator while watching DVDs when connected via HDMI/DVI. For some reason I can't get it to overlay a vol indicator on the video signal (not sure if this is even possible for the AVR...but I felt like it should be!), so I have to squint away at the receiver to figure out what the volume level is!
Most probably this and other AVR's suffers from same problem. I have a 3806and the only way to get the volume indicator is thru an S-Video cable, so try that option out and I believe you should be fine!

Cheers.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
avliner said:
Most probably this and other AVR's suffers from same problem. I have a 3806and the only way to get the volume indicator is thru an S-Video cable, so try that option out and I believe you should be fine!

Cheers.

Wait, wait, are you SERIOUSLY suggesting I use....S-VIDEO :eek: :eek:

Bite your tongue monsieur!!! :D

I hope Gene has a solution for this apart from using S-video :(

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
That's one of the issues basically all current AVR's falls into, so it's up to you the decision of using or not the S-Video cable (agree with with that with the advent of HDMI, it doesn't make sense at all to use other cables...).

AFAIK, there's no other way to overcome this issue ( at least on Denon, Yammy & some other brands).

Let's then wait for Gene's comments though.

Cheers.

P

posobilov

Enthusiast
OK Guy's !

You are happy. But I'm not.
Could somebody suggest me - how can I turn on suraund sound onthe movie node?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The reason for this is that there are currently no receivers (that I know of) that do video overlay through HDMI. If one observes on the 2700, for example, when you press the set/menu button to bring up the GUI while connected through HDMI the video background is replaced with the wallpaper or gray depending on the settings. If one is using any other connection, from composite to component, the GUI will show up with the video source still running in the background. This is video overlay and it does not work through HDMI.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi All;

Just to chime in here, you can't overlay text for Volume over HDMI as it will degrade the picture quality.

I wam waiting for Gene's review which will hopefully clear up the debated LFE issue.
What LFE issue? :confused:

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Hi Ho said:
The reason for this is that there are currently no receivers (that I know of) that do video overlay through HDMI. If one observes on the 2700, for example, when you press the set/menu button to bring up the GUI while connected through HDMI the video background is replaced with the wallpaper or gray depending on the settings. If one is using any other connection, from composite to component, the GUI will show up with the video source still running in the background. This is video overlay and it does not work through HDMI.
gene said:
Just to chime in here, you can't overlay text for Volume over HDMI as it will degrade the picture quality.

NOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOO! < darth vader / >

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis