Yamaha RX-V1400 vs. RXV657

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
My former receiver died and I don't care to ressurect it for the sixth time. I shopped for a receiver a year ago and now I am shopping again and after a lot of research I came down to a current model and an older model as my choices.

1. The local Yamaha dealer (Ultimate Electronics) sells the 657 for $475 and they have open box units for 10% off. Being local I pay 6.5% sales tax for a total of about $455. This model although the recent rave review is missing two things I had hoped to get in my next amp... THX and to still have a phono port...this one has neither and is rated at 95W vs. the 110W receiver I am replacing. As an aside, Best Buy is selling the HTR-5860 for $514...don't know why someone would pay more for the HTR than the RX-V?

2. I have found some "new" refurbished RX-V1400's for about $370 with about $50 shipping for a total of $420. That is $35 less than the 657, more watts, a phono port, and THX. Can I assume the Yamaha refurbed units are "like new". They only have a 90 day warranty but that should be enough time to shake out any obvious problem.

The 1400 weighs a lot more which might be party due to the additional wattage and partly to do with "beefing up" the receiver for THX...dunno...

I am not concerned about obsolete models... I am only concerned about it being refurbed and if the risk I take there is more than compensated for by how much more receiver it is than the 657.

I am a novice at this stuff and would appreciate some feedback from those in the know...

BTW, my primary use is home theatre, not music... I do understand some people prefer the non-THX modes of these receivers vs. the THX mode.

Thanks!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha HTR-5860

I picked up a new Yamaha HTR-5860 for just over $300. You should be able to find it online for $350. It is identical to the RX-V version except it is missing the Zone 2 output. With the newer models out, you should be able to find good deals on the HTR-5890 and RX-V1500 for about $500 new.

I am not aware of any authorized dealers that sell refurbished Yamahas, so you might be leary of the offer on the 1400.

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
Hiya...

I understand that a HTR-5860 can be found for cheaper than a RX-V657 but that still leaves me with the same quandry I am in now. It has less power, less weight, and no phono input.

The 1500 and 5890 cost more than I want to pay. You mention $500 but that is before shipping which is $50 which puts us at about $150 more than I want to spend.

The same place selling the refurbed 1400 for $370 is selling refurbed 1500's for another hundred, $470 and new ones for $520. In both cases there is plus $50 for shipping. I don't see the justification to pay $100 more for a refurbed 1500 vs. a 1400? Or paying $150 more for a new 1500. I don't think the 1400 and 1500 are so different to justify the difference in cost. Either way, I don't want to spend over $500 if the 1400 with shipping is $420.

The cheapest 5890 from a Yamaha authorized dealer is $600...still way more than I need to pay...

Maybe I am mistaken but aren't these receivers all about the same? the 1400, the 1500, and the 5890? At lease as far as what I am looking for. The power and phono jack missing on the 657/5860.

Thanks,

Lew

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the heads up...just missed a new 1500 for $399... (kicking myself in butt)

A new 2500 can be had for just over $500... I was shopping more in the $400 range...

Still want to know about the 1400 I saw...if it is that much better than the 657...seems so...

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The 1400 is a step above the 757 but two years older. The only guy I can recall having the 1400 is Zumbo PM him for better insight.
In all honesty, if I were in in the market for a reciever I'd jump all over that 2500. I paid $600 for my 1500 a year ago and still love it. But that is a great deal on that reciever.

D

dschlack

Audiophyte
I'm also looking at upgrading and narrowed it down to the RX-V657 and the RX-V1500.

I don't care about phono or using it for music. One difference that might matter is that the 657 has subwoofer phase adjust.

I also like the idea of having THX but not at the price difference? I'm not to concerned about the power either, I'll be using the front channel pre-outs and feeding them into my Arcam A85.

I also considered the 1400, but that's going back aways. Even the 1500 has been replaced, by the 1600. One of the differences between the 1500 and 1400 is that the 1500 has "schottky barrier diode"... Yamaha claims "for High Gain S/N Ratio".

Other differences...

RX-V1500 RX-V1400
Dialogue lift yes no
Pure Direct yes no
RS-232 port yes no

and the YPAO processing time is shorter by a minute on the 1500, whoopdie do.

I'm pretty impressed with the RX-V657...check out the reviews...

http://www.audioreview.com/YamahaRXV657crx.aspx
http://www.ecoustics.com/secrets/volume_12_3/yamaha-rx-v657-receiver-8-2005.html

D

dschlack

Audiophyte
Yamaha RX-v1500 vs RX-V657

I'm also looking at upgrading and narrowed it down to the RX-V657 and the RX-V1500.

I don't care about phono or using it for music. One difference that might matter is that the 657 has subwoofer phase adjust.

I also like the idea of having THX but not at the price difference? I'm not to concerned about the power either, I'll be using the front channel pre-outs and feeding them into my Arcam A85.

I also considered the 1400, but that's going back aways. Even the 1500 has been replaced, by the 1600. One of the differences between the 1500 and 1400 is that the 1500 has "schottky barrier diode"... Yamaha claims "for High Gain S/N Ratio".

Other differences...

RX-V1500 RX-V1400
Dialogue lift yes no
Pure Direct yes no
RS-232 port yes no

and the YPAO processing time is shorter by a minute on the 1500, whoopdie do.

I'm pretty impressed with the RX-V657...check out the reviews...

http://www.ecoustics.com/secrets/volume_12_3/yamaha-rx-v657-receiver-8-2005.html

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
I found some deals on a 2400 now too...so hard to decide how much difference there is between the 1400 and the 657 and now whether the 2400 is so much better than the 1400?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have the 1400 and I love it. Superb machine. If it were me, I would jump all over that offer for the 2500. Well worth the extra money. Next, I would get the 1400 with the 90 day warranty. If it will last 90 days, it should last until you are sick of it. I bought mine with no warranty.

One extra note. These days, it seems you would be foolish not to get a receiver with HDMI. You may not think you need it now, but you will want that option in the future.

Jan 2004
Yamaha RX-V1400 ($581.50)
Adcom GFA-7605 ($809.17)
Adcom ACE-315 ($229.95)
Yamaha DVDS840 ($339.31)
Yamaha CDC645 ($206.95)
MB Quart QLS-830's front ($999.00pair)
MB Quart QLS-830's surround ($999.00pair)
MB Quart QLS-330 center ($329.00)
NHT SW-12 ($560.00)

I added the Adcom equipment in Jan 2005. Wanted to save the life of my receiver due to the fact my speakers are 4ohm. I never had the 1400 shut down or go into protection mode.

Last edited:
vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
I saw that offer on ubid...in fact I just got off the phone with them after exchanging emails for days.

The description doesn't mention the microphone, manual, antennas, etc. What I don't understand is they say manufacturer refurbished but everyone else claiming to sell mfg refurbed units includes the microphone, manual, etc.

I got them to tell me it did include the manual but they still say it doesn't include the mic. They are offering a 30 day Ubid warranty and nothing more. They won't sell an extended warranty. There is a guy selling the 1500 refurbed on eBay for $60 more but it is complete like new... I don't know if the ubid people don't know what they are talking about, i.e. Yamaha sells some refurbs complete and others that are stripped???

I can get a refurbed 1400 for $369 plus $45 shipping, a 1500 for $469 plus $45 shipping, or the ubid deal... $399 plus $5X shipping.

Short notice as the ubid offer expires any minute but the guy selling the refurbs on ebay has several and the offer runs awhile??

Thoughts?

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
Guess what.... I bought the 1500 through ubid that the link was given for above. I am taking a chance that the receiver comes complete regardless of ubid telling me it isn't complete. Hardly any of the 1500's sold as people were glomming on the 657's going for $269... I have the 657 here at home now I will be returning if and when ubid ships the 1500.

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
As a followup, I received the 1500 from Ubid. Despite them telling me otherwise, it did come complete...Yamaha box, manual (used), microphone, etc...all there...the volume knob is scuffed...not a biggy... Was clearly marked "B" stock and since it wasn't sold by a dealer it has no warranty past the month Ubid gave me.

Any suggestions on a 3rd party warranty such as Mack?

Thanks,

Lew

O

oldguy

Audiophyte
Check out the Yamaha site for models and specifications. I was told that Yamaha makes 2 versions of each model number. The ones that begin with RX-V are sold exclusively by Retail Hi-Fi dealers and a few authorized dealers on line. They make exactly the same model that starts with HTR that is sold by the big box stores and on line. Usually the HTR version goes a little cheaper than the RX-V. I did a Google search on the HTR model and found the best price at Ideal AV. They told me they were out of stock but offered the RX-V1500 for $540. I thought it was a great price, but they are not an authorized dealer, so I did not get a warranty. I was willing to take the chance. The receiver is exellent. You can save some money by comparing the specs and look for the HTR version of the Yamaha.

vividere

vividere

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

I like the $399 I paid for 1500 even better. There is a Mack warranty for receivers purchased under $500 for about $29. That is a 3year warranty. I am guessing since you paid over $500 you wouldn't be able to buy that particular warranty. There is also a CPS warranty that can be used on these receivers. I don't know how the warrantees compare, but the CPS one was much more money.

Lew

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis