RBH Sound Impression 85-1 Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
i8 hero3.jpg
For a good few years now, RBH Sound hasn’t had any offerings in the entry-level segment of the loudspeaker market, likely due to their shift from China to the USA in manufacturing. The fact is that China can manufacture most consumer electronics goods far more inexpensively than can be done in the US, and this makes it difficult to find a profit in larger volume and lower margin speakers. However, the supply chain problems during the COVID-19 years taught American consumer electronics companies that dependence on Chinese manufacturing can be a double-edged sword. In order to have a more reliable supply chain, RBH went through the painful move to US manufacturing, and now that the shift to domestic cabinet manufacturing is complete, they are set to offer loudspeakers over a wider range of prices. For this reason, RBH Sound has now brought back their entry-level Impression series loudspeakers which are surely the lowest-cost loudspeakers made in the USA in their class. In for review today is the Impression 85-i, their 3-way tower speaker from this series featuring a side firing 8" woofer with subwoofer like bass, a 5 1/4" midrange and 1" fabric dome tweeter for a modest asking price of $1,195/pair. In evaluating these speakers, we will ask how they fare against other floor-standing speakers in their class? How do they perform, and can American manufacturing still compete with Chinese manufacturing for the cost? Read our full review to find out…

READ: RBH Sound Impression 85-i Tower Speaker Review

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
For a good few years now, RBH Sound hasn’t had any offerings in the entry-level segment of the loudspeaker market, likely due to their shift from China to the USA in manufacturing. The fact is that China can manufacture most consumer electronics goods far more inexpensively than can be done in the US, and this makes it difficult to find a profit in larger volume and lower margin speakers. However, the supply chain problems during the COVID-19 years taught American consumer electronics companies that dependence on Chinese manufacturing can be a double-edged sword. In order to have a more reliable supply chain, RBH went through the painful move to US manufacturing, and now that the shift to domestic cabinet manufacturing is complete, they are set to offer loudspeakers over a wider range of prices. For this reason, RBH Sound has now brought back their entry-level Impression series loudspeakers which are surely the lowest-cost loudspeakers made in the USA in their class. In for review today is the Impression 85-i, their 3-way tower speaker from this series featuring a side firing 8" woofer with subwoofer like bass, a 5 1/4" midrange and 1" fabric dome tweeter for a modest asking price of $1,195/pair. In evaluating these speakers, we will ask how they fare against other floor-standing speakers in their class? How do they perform, and can American manufacturing still compete with Chinese manufacturing for the cost? Read our full review to find out…

READ: RBH Sound Impression 85-i Tower Speaker Review
Just what is the matter with these designers? Another really stupid design concept gaining traction that needs to stop!

So here we have another three way with the woofer have an absurdly narrow bandwidth, rolling off at 70 Hz and crossed at 100 Hz via a massive inductor.

Then we have a mid crossed well into the mid range.

That design is absolutely one of the most absurd I have come across.

Shady, it time to stop being kind to this nonsense.

My much small some large bookshelf surrounds have a far better performance then those speakers, and would have a better bass and far more impressive spl. F3 is 52 Hz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So on-axis listening window frequency response is about +/- 2.5dB from about 600Hz - 12kHz, which is pretty flat.

Then it gets up to about +3.5dB peak around 15kHz.

25 degrees off-axis frequency response is a little better at +/- 2.0dB from 600Hz - 15kHz.

Minimum impedance is around 6 ohms.

Bass goes down to around 50-55 Hz, so definitely need a subwoofer.

Overall with a listening window frequency response of +/-2.5dB, it's a good budget pair of towers for only ~ $1K/pair.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So on-axis listening window frequency response is about +/- 2.5dB from about 600Hz - 12kHz, which is pretty flat.

Then it gets up to about +3.5dB peak around 15kHz.

25 degrees off-axis frequency response is a little better at +/- 2.0dB from 600Hz - 15kHz.

Minimum impedance is around 6 ohms.

Bass goes down to around 50-55 Hz, so definitely need a subwoofer.

Overall with a listening window frequency response of +/-2.5dB, it's a good budget pair of towers for only ~ $1K/pair.
Just think about this for a minute. So you add a sub and then there is another crossover at 100 Hz. A small mid is supposed to cover that major power band. That is NOT going to happen.

The speaker is going to sound really "weak in the wind", and not at all satisfactory. Double basses, cellos, pianos, tympani, bassoons, trombones and more are just going to be emasculated and cut off at the knees.

There is a lot more to know about speakers then the FR. It tells you nothing about the power band response. It also tells you nothing about bass quality and distortion. I can tell you for certain that with a passive crossover at 100 Hz the bass quality will be dreadful.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The speaker is going to sound really "weak in the wind", and not at all satisfactory...

...I can tell you for certain that with a passive crossover at 100 Hz the bass quality will be dreadful.
Man, you talk too much.

I'll take Jame's words over yours.

"Moving on to discussion about its strengths, I would say its foremost strength is its sound quality. While I was just complaining about the hot treble, that only occurs when the speaker is facing the listener directly, but most users end up facing the speaker outward for a symmetrical stance, and in that positioning, it sounds quite nice. It has a good spectral balance and even tonality, and it has a decent amount of punch for a modestly-sized floor-standing speaker as well. Furthermore, its low-frequency extension is much deeper than would be expected of a tower speaker of its size. As I mentioned before, I was getting real bass to below 30Hz, and I doubt there are any other floor-standers in its size that can do that. The imaging and soundstage projected was also very good. It wasn’t as pinpoint precise as some other speakers I have dealt with, but those are much more expensive on average and also aren’t as small in size. As I said in my listening impressions, even though the 85-i speakers aren’t large, they can produce a large sound."

"In the end, the RBH Sound 85-i speakers exceeded my expectations. I thought that their smaller size would make for a compromised sound, but it doesn’t. They are an overall well-executed and well-made design that is a strong class competitor even though it is largely made in America which I would have expected to necessitate a much higher cost. I don’t know how RBH managed to pull this trick off, but I am glad they did. Anyone wanting a full-range sound out of a small-footprint tower should definitely take a very close look at the 85-i floor-standing speakers."

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis