Yamaha RX V1400 paired with Athena ASF2 and ASC1

G

<font color='#000000'>Loose4Bruce, this is your lucky week.

I just happen to have a Yamaha RX-V2400 with a set of Athen AS-F2 towers and the AS-C1 center channel, and, all I have to say is that the sound is great! If you think that your Harmon Kardon is giving you crappy sound, go with the Yamaha. That YPAO that they have in there now does wonders for room acoustics! Also, if you want to see a really good review for the Athena's go to Stereophile.com and see what they have to say about them. Just type &quot;Athena&quot; in the search box and it will bring up the reivew for you. What Robert says about them holds pretty much water.

Trust me, you can't go wrong with this set-up.
The Athena's play loud and hard! Oh, and with the Yammy 2400...it too seems to lack in volume, until you start getting real close to that 0db level, then she just lets loose. ;)</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kfessler

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Sorry for the double post. I forgot to sign in the first time.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : Loose4Bruce, this is your lucky week.

I just happen to have a Yamaha RX-V2400 with a set of Athen AS-F2 towers and the AS-C1 center channel, and, all I have to say is that the sound is great! If you think that your Harmon Kardon is giving you crappy sound, go with the Yamaha. That YPAO that they have in there now does wonders for room acoustics! Also, if you want to see a really good review for the Athena's go to Stereophile.com and see what they have to say about them. Just type &quot;Athena&quot; in the search box and it will bring up the reivew for you. What Robert says about them holds pretty much water.

Trust me, you can't go wrong with this set-up.
The Athena's play loud and hard! Oh, and with the Yammy 2400...it too seems to lack in volume, until you start getting real close to that 0db level, then she just lets loose. ;)
</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<font color='#000000'>I am beginning to wonder about how powerful the Yamaha receivers really are. A close friend has the athena speakers that you are asking about. He also has a $300 Pioneer receiver and it has no trouble handling the Athena speakers. 0db listening level???
what the heck are you trying to do.. Remove the paint from the walls?

I have read in some posts that another amp is necessary to get good sound. If you don't believe me just ask Zumbo. He hasn't had much to say about Yamaha since he bought his adcom amp. Well wait he has said save money and buy an amp.

The truth is out! Dont buy Yamaha! Well unless you get a good enough price tthat you can add an amp.</font>

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>
</font>

K

kfessler

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
rgriffin25 : <font color='#000000'>I am beginning to wonder about how powerful the Yamaha receivers really are. A close friend has the athena speakers that you are asking about. He also has a $300 Pioneer receiver and it has no trouble handling the Athena speakers. 0db listening level???
what the heck are you trying to do.. Remove the paint from the walls?

I have read in some posts that another amp is necessary to get good sound. If you don't believe me just ask Zumbo. He hasn't had much to say about Yamaha since he bought his adcom amp. Well wait he has said save money and buy an amp.

The truth is out! Dont buy Yamaha! Well unless you get a good enough price tthat you can add an amp.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Ahhhh, baloney.

Take a look at the review that Gene did, the review that Home Theater Magazine did, and the review that Home Cinema Choice gave. They all give it a big thumbs up!

And no, Im not trying to remove the paint from my walls, I just wanted to see how well it held the sound as I cranked it up. It just seems that as you approach the 0db level, the volume ramps up slowly until you get real close to 0db, then it really starts to let loose.

Loose4Bruce, you wont be disappointed with this setup. Its just a matter of matching the speakers with the receiver and this one seems to work fine. The Athena's are a very efficient speaker, so they should work fairly well with any receiver. How they would sound with any receiver, well, thats a different story. Even Robert Reina of Stereophile says that the Athenas should be mated with a pretty good receiver / amp.</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<font color='#000000'>As many of you may already know I like to shoot a little steam in hopes of getting a good response. (not an angry response) I in no way beleive that the Yamaha receivers are wimpy or require external amplification. I just wonder if I am the only one to get tired of all the praises being sung about these receivers then to hear about an upgrade to a better amp. Don't get me wrong I play the upgrade game all the time with my equipment. I do agree that a amplifier would most likely improve sound. I just wish that people would say it like it is. Which is for the most part if you buy a $1000 receiver you will be happy with its performance regardless of the brand.</font>

K

kfessler

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>No offense was taken on your post Griff. I was just having some fun, thats all.

But, I understand what you are saying about a certain something getting a lot of praise, and yes, there is always a better upgrade. We humans are like that...always have to have the next best thing.

But, when I bought this RX-V2400, and hooked it up to my 5 year old Atlantic Technologies that I have, the sound difference was amazing. With my old Technics that I had, they sounded extremely bright sounding, but that changed with the Yamaha. They sounded much warmer (my wife even agreed. She was dumbfounded when she heard the difference.) But, with being a human, I needed better speakers, so I went and bought the Athena's. With my brother-in-law working at Best Buy, I couldnt refuse them after hearing how much I could get them for with his discount. Major discount.

So, all in all, I didnt take anything offensively. I just understand that everybody has different wants and needs, and electronics is no exception. I'm happy with what I have now. Five years from now??? Im sure I'll be upgrading to whatever I can afford.
By then the Yammy will be another dinosaur.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>nm2285. Got it &amp; thanks. Hope you enjoy that tuner. I know it was not too fancy, but it should work for now.

To everyone else; the Yamaha 1400 &amp; 2400 are the best value for the dollar in their price range. NEITHER will bring out the best in ANY high quality speaker.... However, they work great and have the features that most are looking for. BUT, when you add a HIGH QUALITY amp or five, you have just woke this bad boy up. And, with that in mind, the current price of $569 for the 1400 is a heck-of-a-deal! The options are endless. &nbsp;
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis