Yamaha RX V1400 paired with Athena ASF2 and ASC1

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hiya
Right now I have the HK AVR630. A few days left before my 30 day return is up.
Since there is no way to audition the Yamaha with my speakers other than buying it and being stuck with it (no liberal return policy) I'd like to know how they work together.
I just listened to it but with Klipsch Reference speakers worth double the price of the Athenas.......all I can say is wow!!!
What are the odds that I will feel the same way considering I'm using Athena speakers?
I'm really not overly impressed with the HK. It has a beautiful sound, but is lacking the volume.......I can listen to music at 0dB......no problem.
Music is my main concern. HT is secondary. The Athena's have to stay.
What about the Yamaha RXV2400. Is it worth the extra 200.00?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Use your pre-outs &amp; add an amp. A Yamaha is NOT going to change the sound much. It is, IMO, senseless to buy a new receiver when you have one as up-to-date as you. I added a five-channel amp, and it made a world of difference at high volumes.

Read my thread, here</font>

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Well I'm not actually buying another receiver.
I would be returning the HK and buying the Yamaha instead.
I can live with the volume issue for now but if the Yamaha 1400 is going to produce the same result...music quality wise, I'd be saving myself at least 400.00.
The HK is rated at 75W/ch whereas the Yamaha 1400 is 110/ch and 2400 is 120W/ch.
Is this relevant?
The salesman today tried to say my problem was my speakers. They can't handle the power of the HK.........now how could that be considering I max out the volume on the receiver without any distortion?

I'm so tired of all this BS!!!!
My stereo sounds like crap.
You need new speakers.
I buy new speakers.
My stereo still sounds like crap.
You need a new receiver.
I buy a new receiver.
I'm still not happy.
You need new speakers.
I just bought new speakers.
You need an external amp.
Isnt' that why I'm buying a new receiver.......to get the amp included?
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>You will NOT notice any volume difference. There MIGHT be a slight difference in sound characteristics. I try to stay away from &quot;salsemen&quot;. IMO, you will NOT be satisfied changing from one brand of receiver to another.

What is the difference in the cost on the trade?</font>

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>If I returned the HK and purchased the Yamaha 1400 I would save about 450.00.
The Yamaha 2400 would save me about 350.
But the HK is just so darned pretty!!!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>How many speakers in your system?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>If you can pocket $450 and come out with a 1400, that sounds like a great deal.

Then, take that $450 and put it towards an amp!
&nbsp;Ain't it great!
</font>

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I have 7.1 HT setup.
I only mentioned the Athena's because they are brand new and won't be replaced for a long time.
My surrounds are unmentionable. LOL OK......Quest Q660. They were cheap and sound fine for movies.
My back surrounds are Bose 301 Series IV(ughh I know, but my hubby bought them).
My sub is a DBox 12&quot;. Don't laugh.

Another thing that the salesman brought to my attention regarding HK is that parts seem to be hard to come by......if anything went awry. I purchased the 5 year extended warranty, so would be covered up until then at least. He emphasized how anything older than 5 years is next to impossible to repair. Coincidence?
Apparently I could repair my 20 year old Yamaha no problems.</font>

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
zumbo : <font color='#000000'>If you can pocket $450 and come out with a 1400, that sounds like a great deal.

Then, take that $450 and put it towards an amp!
 Ain't it great!
</font>
<font color='#000000'>LOL
It's not like I haven't thought of it.
I think I'd soon be single.
LOL</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>They love to &quot;sell&quot; extended warranties. They make a killing off of it.

A Honda comes with a 36000 mile warranty.
A Hyndai comes with a 100000 mile warranty.
Which one would you buy?
</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>You could just get a 2-channel amp to drive the Athena's with the difference of the money.</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Go to radio shack buy a spl meter, and turn you strereo up to your 0db level. Check the reading with the meter from your listening position. If it's a steady 110db plus then turn your volume down, take the meter back to the shack, get your money, and stop listening to your stereo so dang loud.

Otherwise.

The klipsch speakers will likely play louder due to their high efficiency, which horns are known for. If you aren't unhappy with the Athena's and HK receiver, add an amp with an honest rating of 200 w/c or more or buy nothing until you can make a signifigant upgrade all the way around. The yamaha wont help much in the way of making things louder, but if your tight on cash and you could use the $450 toward an amp, that may be the way to go.</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If you're mostly worried about the stereo aspect of listening (as it seems you are), then I'm going to emphasize what most have already told you.  Buy a 2 channel amp.

I just purchased the NAD C370, the integrated version of this amp and love it. &nbsp;It easily drives my speakers which have a sensitivity of 86db (compared to your MUCH more efficient 93db mains). The C270 I don't think will ever leave you wishing for more power, and you an find it in that $450 range.  http://www.yawaonline.com/nadc2powambr.html

Something else you may want to consider is just getting a different receiver around the same price range as that H/K but with more power.  Look at Marantz, Denon, and NAD-all have very honest and very robust power supplies (my favorite being the NAD).

Good Luck!</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Another thought-what kind of speaker cables are you using? &nbsp;Try to make sure you're using something around 12 guage with a bit of insulation. &nbsp;Maybe really cheap and thing wire could have some effect? &nbsp;Probably not to the extent that you are describing though.</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Hey nm2285, did the NAD change the sound of your speakers?</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Loose4Bruce, YAWA is great! Highly recommended! &nbsp;
</font>

L

Loose4Bruce

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the suggestions but Yawa is in CA and I'm in the other CA...Canada.
I know it shouldn't be relevant........but NAD is just too ooooooooogly!!!!!!!!
Hey I'm a chic........these things matter!!</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>Function over beauty. My Adcom is not too pretty. Come to think of it, none of my Linear Power amps are all that pretty either!

Us rough boys need lovin too. And when you are this much better at what you do, looks kinda get thrown out the window.

Just close your eyes and enjoy!
</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Zumbo-
The NAD made the whole presentation more laid back an musical. &nbsp;I was also hearing details with more clarity than I ever had before. &nbsp;One example is on the Dire Straits track &quot;Private Investigations.&quot; &nbsp;I had never heard the distinct echo after his voice, just something of a decay. &nbsp;The NAD also took a bit of the edge off the top end. &nbsp;I guess you could say the change wasn't DRASTIC, but it corrected all the faults I found in the Denon and so for me, it made a giant difference.

(btw, did you receive your payment?)</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Loose4Bruce : <font color='#000000'>I know it shouldn't be relevant........but NAD is just too ooooooooogly!!!!!!!!</font>
<font color='#000000'>Loose4Bruce:
On the plus side, the amp is not something you really need to display. &nbsp;Just hook it up, make sure it's well vented, and forget about it! &nbsp;Your receiver will still be your main control center so let that be the pretty face and let the amp be your work horse.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis