T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Yamaha RX-A3080 upgrade to RX-A8A worth it sound wise?

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
No. Unless you think Auro3D Upmix is better than DSU or NeuralX.
Thanks. It doesn't appear that too much has improved on the 2 channel stereo side other then LFM added to YPAO. I'm running a Halo 21+ ext amp off the A3080 so other then some processing the amp is handling the rest. I'm not a gamer so the other updates aren't important to me. Maybe instead of the AVR upgrade I'll get a pair of KEF R8a heights and finally get Atmos going.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Maybe instead of the AVR upgrade I'll get a pair of KEF R8a.
Now that's where you will hear a difference.

An amp will try to replicate the origin of the sound.

Speakers have their own sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're not that much different, unless you really need/want a feature on the newer model that the older doesn't have....

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Does the new Qualcomm processor produce improved sound over the A3080?
Wondering if I should wait for next generation of Aventage whenever that will be. With the shortage of supply chain chips, who knows.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not likely you'd have any audibility difference between change in processor alone....

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Not that I would switch but do you know how the Denon X8500HA stands up to the A8A as far as sound quality? I see it has a few more features and more channels. I'm at 7.2.4 now and don't think I need to add anymore in my 19x19 space.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not that I would switch but do you know how the Denon X8500HA stands up to the A8A as far as sound quality? I see it has a few more features and more channels. I'm at 7.2.4 now and don't think I need to add anymore in my 19x19 space.
From ASR, the X8500 has a THD+N of about 0.0007%. SNR was 108dB (don’t know if that is dBA or unweighted dB).

From AH, the Yamaha RX-A6 (probably similar to A8) has THD+N of 0.001% and SNR of 107dBA.

So there may or may not be any difference in sound quality in DIRECT mode depending on whether you think you can hear a difference with those measurements.

I bet most of us think they both sound equal in direct mode.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally they're equivalent in sound quality except for their differences that come from their eq/setup programs or dsp generally.

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
I use the XLR pre-outs to a Parasound 21+ to drive the mains. I would lose that with the Denon. Lot of people say the RCAs work just as well as long as you don't have long cable runs. Do you know how many EQ bands the Denon has for speakers and subs? Are the EQ band frequencies preset like the Yamaha or can they be micro adjusted?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use the XLR pre-outs to a Parasound 21+ to drive the mains. I would lose that with the Denon. Lot of people say the RCAs work just as well as long as you don't have long cable runs. Do you know how many EQ bands the Denon has for speakers and subs? Are the EQ band frequencies preset like the Yamaha or can they be micro adjusted?
Balanced connections can alleviate some issues, particularly over long distances or some environments but for home use not likely any significant difference. Denon's manual eq is graphic (9 band), the Yamaha's is parametric (believe 7 main bands and 4 for sub). OTOH Audyssey seems to be more effective than YPAO generally.

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Gene thought YPAO was better now. My 3080 should be running the same YPAO that is on the A8A. I assume.
In my space it does a good job with distance and EQ for speakers. Good with distance on subs but no auto EQ settings. The levels for all seem to be off 2,3,4dB. So I use REW to level them or a SPL. Seems to work ok. Is Z weighted recommended for setting levels on sub in REW?

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Also would you buy a Yamaha factory refurbed A8A with 3yr warranty for $1000 less then the current going rate of $3500. Wondering if its worth it. I can't see spending $3500 versus keeping my 3080 and waiting for the next models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also would you buy a Yamaha factory refurbed A8A with 3yr warranty for $1000 less then the current going rate of $3500. Wondering if its worth it. I can't see spending $3500 versus keeping my 3080 and waiting for the next models.
What are the reasons again for changing from the 3080? That's a nice avr and still relatively up to date....

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
I guess mostly for overall improved sound and better YPAO control. I'm still debating and wondering if Yamaha will release the next Aventage models next year if they stay on their 3yr cycle. I'm not much of a gamer, but 70% music and 30% movies so the HDMI 2.1 wouldn't be a big deal to me. I did notice the A8A doesn't have 8k upscaling only passthrough. My current TV is only 4k along with Verizon FIOS (cable) which is 4k as well. Maybe I have the itch for sometime new and shiney. But if there isn't going to be that much difference it might be a waste of $$.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What are the reasons again for changing from the 3080? That's a nice avr and still relatively up to date....
Yeah, I love my RX-A3080. I don’t see myself changing it to something else.

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Yeah, I love my RX-A3080. I don’t see myself changing it to something else.
I was on Onkyo for a few years, moved to the Yamaha 3080, sounds much better, but wondering if Denon 8500 would even be a better sound? Some say Denon sounds a bit harsh. Any thoughts?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m running a RXA2060 and I’m waiting another generation or more. As long as it keeps running I’m not likely to upgrade. I do have an emergency fund if the worst were to happen though. I have no current need for 8K gaming so not going to worry about hdmi 2.1.

Prior to that I had a RXV3300 for 14 years. I jumped from DolbyEX and DTS-ES technology straight into Dolby Atmos and DTS X. lol. :)

T

TLEW

Audioholic Intern
Wondering who would move away from Yamaha to get an AVR with Dirac Live?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis