Yamaha RX-A8A - large front disables subwoofer.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Great explanation! Might have to consider a swap to Marantz if they have more features that allow for better customization of this type of setup. Either way, thank you for the detailed information. And if I understand you correctly the subwoofer will receive a signal in multichannel regardless of Extra Bass on or off, so in that case it's just a matter of preference?
Yep, Trebdp83, nailed it with his explanation. I keep telling him he should be working for Audioholics. But for some reason he just loves to help members out in here. Dude has some major skills, like HD both are info Gurus, Both are valued members here on AH.

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Great explanation! Might have to consider a swap to Marantz if they have more features that allow for better customization of this type of setup. Either way, thank you for the detailed information. And if I understand you correctly the subwoofer will receive a signal in multichannel regardless of Extra Bass on or off, so in that case it's just a matter of preference?
Which Mazantz are You considering? Denon also has some really nice flagship AVR/AV units. I also have an Yamaha A4A. I do miss the pull down front panel Yamaha had before they updated their new flagship line. I do like my A4A a lot, just miss some of the front-end features my A1080 had.

C

Christianms

Enthusiast
Yep, Trebdp83, nailed it with his explanation. I keep telling him he should be working for Audioholics. But for some reason he just loves to help members out in here. Dude has some major skills, like HD both are info Gurus, Both are valued members here on AH.
They seem to be great assets to this forum, and would also be for Audioholics for sure. Many thanks to all of you that chimed in with help, advice and additional information. I definitely have a better picture of the large front with subwoofer setup, and the potential challenges it entails. At least I think so.... Now I'll do some trial and error to see if I can get it to work in a way that I like it with the receiver I have, or if I'll just go back to my previous small + subwoofer setup. I'll also have to see how it works when I add my rear speakers. Anywho, I know where to ask for advice in the future!

C

Christianms

Enthusiast
Which Mazantz are You considering? Denon also has some really nice flagship AVR/AV units. I also have an Yamaha A4A. I do miss the pull down front panel Yamaha had before they updated their new flagship line. I do like my A4A a lot, just miss some of the front-end features my A1080 had.
So far I'm actually very happy with the A8A. But I do like the sound of some of the features Trebdp83 mention on the Marantz/Denon receivers. I've previously looked at either the CINEMA 30 or the AV10 from Marantz, but I haven't dived into the specs. Just read a couple reviews on both so far. Any advice on choice would be appreciated. My goal is to expand my setup to a 7.2.4 Atmos, in due time :)

Tankini

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
So far I'm actually very happy with the A8A. But I do like the sound of some of the features Trebdp83 mention on the Marantz/Denon receivers. I've previously looked at either the CINEMA 30 or the AV10 from Marantz, but I haven't dived into the specs. Just read a couple reviews on both so far. Any advice on choice would be appreciated. My goal is to expand my setup to a 7.2.4 Atmos, in due time :)
Wish my room was bigger I'd go 7.2 for sure. Many here on AH have that flagship A8A they like it a lot. Denon has a very good room correction. Yamaha has their own as you know. Some members don't use their ARC. Denon fans rave how good the ARC is. I'm fine with Yamahas YPAO.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
If interest in having the 2CH Playback, Bass Extraction LPF and LFE Distribution features out of the box, I believe the Denon AVR-X6800H and Marantz Cinema 30 are the only ones that feature ALL three of them.

I am not sure if the Denon AVR-A1H or Marantz AV10 received any updates to feature ALL three of them. The Denon AVR-X6800H and Marantz Cinema 30 are nearly identical in spec.

C

Christianms

Enthusiast
Wish my room was bigger I'd go 7.2 for sure. Many here on AH have that flagship A8A they like it a lot. Denon has a very good room correction. Yamaha has their own as you know. Some members don't use their ARC. Denon fans rave how good the ARC is. I'm fine with Yamahas YPAO.
I've heard good things about Dirac. But I'm also happy with YAPO, easy to use and seems to work very well. All around a very good ARC. But since I haven't tried Dirac it's hard to say which one I would prefer. I'll probably stay with the A8A for a while, then maybe change it. After all, I've only had it 6 months. It takes a bit of time to get to know it, and get a feel for it.

C

Christianms

Enthusiast
If interest in having the 2CH Playback, Bass Extraction LPF and LFE Distribution features out of the box, I believe the Denon AVR-X6800H and Marantz Cinema 30 are the only ones that feature ALL three of them.

I am not sure if the Denon AVR-A1H or Marantz AV10 received any updates to feature ALL three of them. The Denon AVR-X6800H and Marantz Cinema 30 are nearly identical in spec.
Ah, good to know! Those features would be some of the main reasons for change. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, good to know! Those features would be some of the main reasons for change. :)
I'd return to that comparison site treb linked, zkelectronics.com, as it is a great way to compare feature sets among avrs. I'd look at Denon over Marantz myself simply due generally better pricing but same basic units as sister companies....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis