3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought a used unit yesterday after auditioning it in both video and audio. The person selling it cant find the microphone base and pillar. How important are these 2 components in do the YPAO measurements.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I bought a used unit yesterday after auditioning it in both video and audio. The person selling it cant find the microphone base and pillar. How important are these 2 components in do the YPAO measurements.
You need the mic. You can find them on Amazon for $25. A little less on eBay.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's fine as long as you can stand up the mic upright.

After you apply YPAO, you'll set it to THROUGH/bypass mode anyway. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats BTW!

Now you have an awesome Flagship Yamaha AVR and 4K Atmos/DTSX.

That means more PSB speakers in the ceiling and a 4K BD player like the Sony X700. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Manual states it's for Height or Presence speaker measurements. So if you're not running Atmos or don't have Presence speakers, don't even worry about it. I can't really say if it would make any improvement with surround sound because I am not running Atmos. Just place the mic on a tripod, measure up and start enjoying!

And yes, the "through" mode sounds best most of the time, to me anyway. Sometimes I do you use the "natural" setting though. Very nice piece of gear by the way! I do enjoy mine.

Attachments

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
nice pickup!

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I bought a pair if boom stands on Amazon for under $20 each. They work great for the receiver mic and one for my Umik-1 when I use REW.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I orderd the base and pole from Yamaha. Shipping which costs me $10 costs as much as the two parts put together. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I may have goofed in this purchase. I did not realize that Yamaha removed the tape monitor line out on these later models and I need it to be able to record to cassette. Im looking for solutions around this problem.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did some digging around on the internet and found a possible solution. I will buy a seperate phono pre-amp and feed the output of the preamp to a 1 in 4 out rca splitter box. One of the outputs will go to an RCA input on the AVR and another output will go to the Record In of the cassette deck.

Here's my 1st solution to a tape monitor loop..

1581341270518.jpeg

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I found a rather elegant solution to my tape monitor out (rec out) issue but it will sacrifice a zone. I can output to either zone2 or zone 3 as long as I don't have the amp configured to use these for presence front or back channels. I can also fix the volume so it remains constant.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I found a rather elegant solution to my tape monitor out (rec out) issue but it will sacrifice a zone. I can output to either zone2 or zone 3 as long as I don't have the amp configured to use these for presence front or back channels. I can also fix the volume so it remains constant.
Yes you can use z2/3, was going to suggest that but got side tracked.:D In theory you can also use the pre-outs, just less convenient and more work to do for that to work properly.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Dam, this a long drawn out job swapping out receivers. Im about 75⅚ finished with the renaming of inputs, setting up scenes and reprogramming the Logitech remote . I still gotta do this zone 2 or 3 thing as well. I have pictures showing the size difference between new and old. Having lugged both around recently, they are very clise to veing the same weight.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, this might be the only AVR you will need to buy for the next 25 years. :D

So it will be worth all the hard work! ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot to mention that the $1200 also included 2 PSB Alpha LR1 and this Bluesound Node-2 wireless music streamer.

1581535673468.png

1581535779394.png

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Update...
I finally got the zone2 out working as my Tape Out and I'm able to record. It took many trips into the setup menu, changing the power amp configuration to basic to send output to zone2 pre-outs instead of the speaker terminals. I aslo had to use the orginal remote to power on zone 2. Tonight, I'm going to see if that feature is available from the logitech remote and configure it into an activity.

Here are some pics showing the size differences between the RX-V1800 and RX-A3060.

size-1.jpg

size-2.jpg

size-3.jpg

size-4.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis