Yamaha RX-A3000 no more sub

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I am writing and asking for help here with some disappointment. 2 nights ago I noticed that my system was not sounding its usual self. There is no more base coming out of the system.

The 1st time this happened I switched of the system, unplugged the sub, plugged everything back in again and that seemed to have fixed things temporarily. Today when I started listening again, no more sub. I tried the same procedure again, and still no base.

I tried running the test tone through all the speakers, and when it gets to the sub, nothing. I have even tried using the 2nd available port for the 2nd sub and the same results.

The question now is, which one is at fault. I don't have another sub to test if its the sub or receiver causing the problem.

If anyone out there could please point me in a direction with some other fault finding steps it will be much appreciated.

I am using an Emotive XREF 12 sub..

Thanks and regards.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Turn volume of sub way down first. Use one of the pre-outs (like surround speakers pre-out). Then run the test tone (of the respective pre-out) and see if the sub makes the sound. May turn volume of sub up.

Also try hard resetting the Yamaha.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Some things that I'd try:
1. Make sure that the receiver is set up to send signals to a sub (in the receiver's menu)
2. Try a different cable. You might be surprised at just how often it's the cable that is causing this. The connections between the wires and the end connectors can get loose and cause issues like yours.
3. Connect one of the other preamp RCA audio outputs from your receiver to the subwoofer input. If you use a non-preamp output, you'll want to turn down the volume on the sub before you use it because those line-level outputs are not controlled by the volume on the receiver and will be at a higher level.
4. Connect a different source to your sub, such as an iPod. You'll need a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable to make the connection from something with a headphone jack.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
Should I disconnect the surround speakers from the normal connection 1st?

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
I got my friend to bring his sub around, and it worked fine with the cable. What I have noticed on the back of the Emotiva when I play the test tone, the light goes green as soon as the test tone is played through the sub, but no sound. So it must be the sub. The bad thing is I am all the way in deep dark Africa. I guess I have to contact Emotiva next and see what they can do. I have had this sub for about 7 months now. This really sucks.. :(

Thanks for all the advice guys. have a good weekend.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One reason I hate active subs. The woofer drivers hardly ever go wrong. But those internal amps sure can go wrong a lot easier.

I love passive subs for some reasons. They just don't make too many of them anymore.

Good thing for me, Velodyne & RBH still make passive subs. :D

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
One reason I hate active subs. The woofer drivers hardly ever go wrong. But those internal amps sure can go wrong a lot easier.

I love passive subs for some reasons. They just don't make too many of them anymore.

Good thing for me, Velodyne & RBH still make passive subs. :D
So those (2) Rythmiks in your sig must be a figment of my imagination?:rolleyes::D I hate them too, so if you want, I'll pay the shipping and you can dispose of them my way;)

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
so now that I am in the market for a new sub, what would you suggest? I can probably spend up to about 2k

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So those (2) Rythmiks in your sig must be a figment of my imagination?:rolleyes::D I hate them too, so if you want, I'll pay the shipping and you can dispose of them my way;)
Oh, hush. They are the main subs. And I like them a lot. :D

But for my room and use, dual passive RBH SX-1010N subs work just as great. And I don't have to ever worry about those internal amps frying. So there. :p :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Krusty - now that you've localized the issue to the sub (and this isn't meant to be patronizing), double check and make sure that the volume on the sub wasn't turned way down.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the advice, I currently have an Emotive XPA 3 on order for my front 3 channels, lets hope it I have better luck this time. I have no experience with passive subs. I will do some research and see if it will be viable for me. The supplier I buy from would have to ship the subs to Africa. That's what makes shopping at Emotiva really nice, and it must handle 220v.

Adam,

I did check the volume, i turned it all the way up to 10db on the emotive control panel, and still nothing. I even had my hand on it to see if I could feel any vibrations.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
It really sucks not having a sub. Going to set my fronts to Large now. Miss feeling the couch vibrate...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I got my friend to bring his sub around, and it worked fine with the cable. What I have noticed on the back of the Emotiva when I play the test tone, the light goes green as soon as the test tone is played through the sub, but no sound. So it must be the sub. The bad thing is I am all the way in deep dark Africa. I guess I have to contact Emotiva next and see what they can do. I have had this sub for about 7 months now. This really sucks.. :(

Thanks for all the advice guys. have a good weekend.
Since the light goes green on detecting a signal, the amp is likely fine.

Take the driver out of the sub. Make sure a connection has not fallen off the speaker or amp. If it has reconnect it. If the driver is connected take it out.

Now connect it to a 1.5 volt battery and make and break the connection. The cone should move forwards, and make a pop with each connect/disconnect. If it does not, then the driver is blown.

Are you in Equatorial Africa, by any chance, or an area of high humidity? If you are and the driver has blown, that is probably the reason.

Emotiva use paper cones. Paper coned drivers perform poorly in the tropics, especially if the voice coil former is paper which is often is with paper coned drivers.

If you are in the humid tropics, you need to select speakers with metal or plastic cones.

I live in the Minnesota Lake district, and living lakeside, humidity gets high in the summer despite air conditioning. I would never use a paper coned driver. I'm not keen on paper coned drivers anyway, as their performance varies too much with the weather. I know they are back in vogue, but I think it is a mistake.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
Since the light goes green on detecting a signal, the amp is likely fine.

Take the driver out of the sub. Make sure a connection has not fallen off the speaker or amp. If it has reconnect it. If the driver is connected take it out.

Now connect it to a 1.5 volt battery and make and break the connection. The cone should move forwards, and make a pop with each connect/disconnect. If it does not, then the driver is blown.

Are you in Equatorial Africa, by any chance, or an area of high humidity? If you are and the driver has blown, that is probably the reason.

Emotiva use paper cones. Paper coned drivers perform poorly in the tropics, especially if the voice coil former is paper which is often is with paper coned drivers.

If you are in the humid tropics, you need to select speakers with metal or plastic cones.

I live in the Minnesota Lake district, and living lakeside, humidity gets high in the summer despite air conditioning. I would never use a paper coned driver. I'm not keen on paper coned drivers anyway, as their performance varies too much with the weather. I know they are back in vogue, but I think it is a mistake.
Thank you so much for all the info.

Yes we do live in a very hot, humid environment. I have an aircon running constanly in my entertainment room. I also have a de-humidifier installed. I try to keep the humidy levels at around 40-50%

I reported the problem to Emotiva and a replacement amp for the sub is on the way. The custommer service is some of the best I have delt with. Thumbs up to Emotiva and Matt. They are shipping it with my new XPA-3 amp.

Thanks again for all the assistance everyone, and for the valuable information.

Regards,
Me

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis