Yamaha RX-A2A "Ghostly" Behavior!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have had the RX-A2A about 15 months now. Lately it's been acting strange, after I power everything off for the night, ( TV, Blu-ray player, AVR) around 11:00 PM the RX-A2A will suddenly power on for a few seconds then shut itself off. Does not happen every night, just a day here and there. It's a refurbished unit from Accessories 4 Less.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My Denon AVR-X4400H used to do that for the fist year or so. Others Denon owners reported similar behavior on other models as well. If I remember right, by turning everything that has to do with CEC, even ARC (no, not Anthem's ARC, wish they didn't use that term) and it seemed to have reduced that strange occurrence a lot but still happening. It eventually stopped after may be 2,3 years and many FW update. The FW update log never mentioned any such fix, but I bet they did know the issue and fixed it quietly.

Hopefully, if it is for similar reasons like D+M's, Yamaha will fix it too via FW updates. In this case, you seem to be saying it didn't happen until recently, so it may be something totally different. Have you done anything different recently, such as hooked up something that was not there before, or change some settings related to HDME, CEC etc.?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Do I need to add one of these to every HDMI cable?
Usually it's just one device that causes issues, so no.....just one on the device you think is causing the problem.
Do you have a FireStick plugged in ?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Usually it's just one device that causes issues, so no.....just one on the device you think is causing the problem.
Do you have a FireStick plugged in ?
No Firestick, No USB drive plugged in.

Could ARC / eARC be the cause?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
No Firestick, No USB drive plugged in.

Could ARC / eARC be the cause?
Well, it certainly could.

Just noticed the model number of your Yamaha.
That's the same thing as a TSR-700, the 375 dollar Costco version.

That model had the dreaded HDMI 2.1 bug that causes all sorts of issues.
Unless it was sent back and repaired by Yamaha, good luck.
Chances are its one that was returned and not repaired.

I actually had a TSR-700 for a week and sent it back. Oh boy.
It sounded alright, but wouldn't switch inputs reliably and did whatever it wanted all on its own.
All the CEC blockers in the world won't help...the HDMI board is bad.

Sorry I didn't notice your model number earlier.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Well, it certainly could.

Just noticed the model number of your Yamaha.
That's the same thing as a TSR-700, the 375 dollar Costco version.

That model had the dreaded HDMI 2.1 bug that causes all sorts of issues.
Unless it was sent back and repaired by Yamaha, good luck.
Chances are its one that was returned and not repaired.

I actually had a TSR-700 for a week and sent it back. Oh boy.
It sounded alright, but wouldn't switch inputs reliably and did whatever it wanted all on its own.
All the CEC blockers in the world won't help...the HDMI board is bad.

Sorry I didn't notice your model number earlier.
Maybe I should get my next AVR from another brand. Yamaha has musical instruments, motorcycles, "too many irons in the fire"
I might chuck the whole surround sound nonsense and get a sound bar for the blu-ray & TV, and an amplifier just for my music! (CD & vinyl)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Maybe I should get my next AVR from another brand. Yamaha has musical instruments, motorcycles, "too many irons in the fire"
I might chuck the whole surround sound nonsense and get a sound bar for the blu-ray & TV, and an amplifier just for my music! (CD & vinyl)
It wasn't just Yamaha around that time.
The first wave of HDMI 2.1 AVR's all had this issue...bad control chips on the HDMI boards. (new tech)

Denon and Marantz shipped users an external switching box to fix the issue.(no one was happy about that)
Yamaha actually fixed the issue if you asked them by sending the unit in for repair.
So, you decide if brand hopping is for you !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Yamaha brand is fine. The motorcycle guys dont make the pianos nor either of them make the avrs :) Just say no to soundbars.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis