Yamaha RX-A 80 Series Receivers Feature Artificial Intelligence

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I don't like the DTS:X Upmixer at all for 2CH music or non-discrete surround sound. I don't know what DTS did but the old Neural:X was far superior IMO. Stick with the Dolby Upmixer as they clearly have the better upmixer in this generation of "immersive surround sound".
Gene. Hello. I didn't know I had dts Virtual X on my Marnatz. I need to go to SpecSavers :D

I taken a same listening again with centre channel only all other channels MUTED! This is how I can compare cross-talk with Dolby DSU, dts Neural X and dts Virtual X.

Playing scene from Star Trek if you happen to own the Dolby matrix version with original mix not that bluray version. Then take the listening time to MUTE all channels in your room except for the centre channel and take a listen at what the upmixers are doing.

DSU seems to use a sound frequency canceling technique but reduces bass level slightly and I use no bass management on the AVR its all full-range.

dts Neural X I can still hear the cross-talk at very low level but the bass level is more steered towards centre with an mild equal level on LR.

dts Virtual X seems to raise some of the cross-talk at certain sound frequency the bass level seems to be the same unless I compare it visually on TrueRTA to see what is happening?

I was kinder thinking I need to buy another AVR that had dts Virtual X. I only had the AVR for few months.

Okay now when I switch the height channels Height 1 Height 2 ON and even thou they are MUTED I can hear what is happening with the centre channel it seems to have sucked the bass dry like some sort of "HeightVampire" Okay let me now MUTE centre and listen again to same repeated scene in Star Trek 1, Enterprise lighting up before leaving space dock as it has a cool, Jerry Goldsmith score.

No I don't want that centre spread ON sounds dreadful with films that have visual reference images.

Oh bloody hell! This AVR gets confusing I think its the one that needs to be anti-depressant tablets. Okay I switched the Height 1, 2 back on but when going into the sound menu on Marantz SR6012 the Virtual X has been detracted only something called Virtual is on the screen along with DSU, Neural X and Virtual.

Okay what does Virtual for Star Trek. Rubbish! Its only two channel.

You know what? Maybe I should post this in "the hate anything goes" forum :D I hate the format switching on the Marnatz why can't all these channels and assign them be packaged with more channel OUTPUTS so when switching to have the speaker like this or like that it needs only be format switched in few seconds! The consumer has to go into the speaker menu and shuffle settings around SIGH that is my biggest pet hate with my AVR.

Needs more channel outputs and proper format switching on the remote control with a visual on screen that shows the speaker configuration without having to fondling around with remote settings for about I would say 50 seconds or less? I like to do speaker format switching in just 2 seconds. the time I have to move my arm over to the AVR and press the format setting.

Oh as for the bluray of Star Trek 1, I don't hate it I just prefer if it had the original 1979 mix as it does exist on 70mm that only had a premiere screening but making 70mm prints at the time, was short for theatrical release so they did 35mm release prints.

Okay load the bluray in the Panasonic while original still plays in the Sony. The bluray version has a missing single one second sound effect and that echo effect of Mr. Scott speaking over the com to the bridge on right channel that it was the warp engines ain't balanced and that is enough to throw it into the kitty litter box. Sounds like he's speaking on a Tandy microphone echo box. Where is the echo on the bridge? No one else's voice echoes on the bridge and not even in engineering its a delay issue on the remix where someone has applied far, far too long delay time.

L

Lb7047

Audiophyte
I got a question, Im new to all this stuff. When you playback music does the 7 channel receiver sound just as good as as a 9 channel. for example would an RX-A780 sound as good as a RxA2080 playing music.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got a question, Im new to all this stuff. When you playback music does the 7 channel receiver sound just as good as as a 9 channel. for example would an RX-A780 sound as good as a RxA2080 playing music.
The correct answer is that it “depends” on how each AVR handles the speakers and power requirement.

Assuming both AVRs handle the power requirement just fine (moderate volume and distance, sensitive 8 ohm speakers, etc.) and both are in the same sound mode (Through mode, Straight, Direct, etc.), then yes, the 780 will sound as good as the 2080.

However, some of us are cautious about the 780 (any model under the 1000s) being able to handle 4 ohm speakers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The correct answer is that it “depends” on how each AVR handles the speakers and power requirement.

Assuming both AVRs handle the power requirement just fine (moderate volume and distance, sensitive 8 ohm speakers, etc.) and both are in the same sound mode (Through mode, Straight, Direct, etc.),then yes, the 780 will sound as good as the 2080.

However, some of us are cautious about the 780 (any model under the 1000s) being able to handle 4 ohm speakers.
Edited:

Technically the 2000 series has a better DAC chip model than the 700 and 800 series. And 4 Atmos speakers rather than 2 is a big advantage in a 5.1.4 vs 5.1.2 layout. :)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Technically the 2000 series has a better DAC chip model too. And 4 Atmos speakers rather than 2 is a big advantage in a 5.1.4 vs 5.1.2 layout. :)
Are you sure? According to info from their website, the 1080 and 2080 have the same DAC chip ES9007. You do get the same one as found in the CX-A5200 in the RX-A3080, but still for the main channels only.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Are you sure? According to info from their website, the 1080 and 2080 have the same DAC chip ES9007. You do get the same one as found in the CX-A5200 in the RX-A3080, but still for the main channels only.
Thought they were comparing 780 to 2080. My mistake.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thought they were comparing 780 to 2080. My mistake.
Sorry, you are 100% correct. It wasn't a mistake at all! I just don't want him to think that to get the better DAC just for the theoretically and potentially better sound quality, he has to jump to the 2080.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, you are 100% correct. It wasn't a mistake at all! I just don't want him to think that to get the better DAC just for the theoretically and potentially better sound quality, he has to jump to the 2080.
I edited my post for clarification on that. I guess a few people might misinterpret my original post. :)

D

David Harper

Audioholic Intern
on my aventage 780; can anyone tell me how to make it automatically play all of the songs when an IPOD is connected to the USB port on the front? Every time I do this the AVR divides the music into little groups 0f 1 to 5 songs, and it doesn't advance automatically from one group to the next. I have to fool around doing it manually with the remote.

I

iraweiss

Enthusiast
With CEDIA just around the corner we're seeing an influx of new AV receivers from all the major manufacturers. Yamaha decided to update their entire AVENTAGE RX-A lineup of receivers with their new and improved AVENTAGE RX-A 80 series. With the top three receivers adding artificial intelligence for surround and dialogue optimization and all six adding wireless surround options, Yamaha is looking to stand out and be noticed.

View attachment 24501

Read: Yamaha RX-A 80 Series AV Receivers Compared
Our RX-A3080 receiver has an annoying and frankly scary problem. It occasionally, unexpectedly and randomly makes a loud pop/bang sound. I would say this happens about once a day.

The sound does not appear to always come out of the same speaker. It may come from a front or side speaker and even the subwoofer. The sound seems to be volume control independent: It is loud no matter the position of the volume control.

As far as I have seen, the popping sound only happens when using a flavor of Dolby: Digital or Digital+. I can run Internet radio all day (I do) using nine channel stereo through all 11 speakers in my 7.2.4 system and all we hear is great music. Not a peep of a pop.

BTW the receiver is cooled with an AC Infinity Aircom T8 and runs at 86 degrees max.

If I am streaming YouTube videos via ARC from my Sony XBR-65X930E, where the sound comes through PCM rather than Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, the sound is perfect. However, when I use an app like HBO Max or Disney Plus that uses a Dolby format via bitstream I get the pop. I tried switching from a Certified 4K HDMI cable to a Certified 8K HDMI cable between the TV and receiver and that didn’t make a difference.

All cables are Monoprice Certified.

The same goes with watching cable TV. When the cable box is set to output Dolby Digital and the receiver decodes Dolby, I get the pop. I tried:

• Switching cable boxes – no difference
  • Switching HDMI cables from Certified 4K to Certified 8K – no difference
  • Switching from HDMI to optical cable with Audio Select – no difference
  • Switching from HDMI to analog cable with Audio Select – no difference
I finally gave up and am sending a stereo signal from the cable box rather than Dolby bitstream and set the Yamaha to 9 channel stereo so we can enjoy watching TV without fear of a startling pop.

What else have I tried?

• I plugged the Yamaha power cord into an outlet on a different circuit – no difference
  • I plugged the Yamaha power cord into a Monster Power HTS2500 – no difference
  • I plugged the Yamaha receiver into a CyberPower UPS – no difference
I have been using receivers with a flavor of Dolby Digital since before the turn of the century including a Sony STR-DA80ES, Denon AVR-3803, Onkyo TX-NR737, Onkyo TX-RZ830, Yamaha RX-A800 and Yamaha RX-A3000 and have never encountered this issue. Ever.

Am I missing something? What should I do?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Our RX-A3080 receiver has an annoying and frankly scary problem. It occasionally, unexpectedly and randomly makes a loud pop/bang sound. I would say this happens about once a day.

The sound does not appear to always come out of the same speaker. It may come from a front or side speaker and even the subwoofer. The sound seems to be volume control independent: It is loud no matter the position of the volume control.

As far as I have seen, the popping sound only happens when using a flavor of Dolby: Digital or Digital+. I can run Internet radio all day (I do) using nine channel stereo through all 11 speakers in my 7.2.4 system and all we hear is great music. Not a peep of a pop.

BTW the receiver is cooled with an AC Infinity Aircom T8 and runs at 86 degrees max.

If I am streaming YouTube videos via ARC from my Sony XBR-65X930E, where the sound comes through PCM rather than Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus, the sound is perfect. However, when I use an app like HBO Max or Disney Plus that uses a Dolby format via bitstream I get the pop. I tried switching from a Certified 4K HDMI cable to a Certified 8K HDMI cable between the TV and receiver and that didn’t make a difference.

The same goes with watching cable TV. When the cable box is set to output Dolby Digital and the receiver decodes Dolby, I get the pop. I tried:

I finally gave up and am sending a stereo signal from the cable box rather than Dolby bitstream and set the Yamaha to 9 channel stereo so we can enjoy watching TV without fear of a startling pop.

What else have I tried?

• I plugged the Yamaha power cord into an outlet on a different circuit – no difference
I have been using receivers with a flavor of Dolby Digital since before the turn of the century including a Sony STR-DA80ES, Denon AVR-3803, Onkyo TX-NR737, Onkyo TX-RZ830, Yamaha RX-A800 and Yamaha RX-A3000 and have never encountered this issue. Ever.

So just when streaming bitstream? You could stream via AppleTV 4K which is all PCM (it decodes internally)

My Yamahas are just a couple years older and I bitstream from my FireCube and Firestick and Sony player X800m2 without pops. I also use AppleTV 4K.

Mine are RXA2060 in theater room/den, RXA770 in Living room, and RXV681 in the master bedroom.

I would guess you have the 4K mode set correctly?

H

Huey645

Audioholic

What else have I tried?

I think there are a few people with that problem, and unsure if there ever was a fix for it. Check out the very long thread at avs and you'll see others have had the pop as well.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
And now, I've seen that you did ask the question over there as well. lol Wish I could help. My 2080 has never made the pop, but hopefully you can figure out a fix.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis