Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3040 AV Receiver Overview

• Thread starter Steve Pitbull Potenziano
  • Start date

Would you upgrade to this AVR?

• Total voters
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The costs would go up for sure if they adopted Audyssey . I hope they never will. Yamaha makes extremely reliable equipment, no matter what it is.... AVR, motorbikes, musical instruments. Its just good stuff. :)
+1

I have personally NEVER been disappointed with any Yammy product, EVER! In this day and age, it's pretty freaking amazing!

The only other electronics company that I will put in that category of never been disappointed, and had a lot of experience with their products, is Asus. I would say Samsung and Panasonic might be approaching that level too (in my experience of course).

I think my only Yammy gear right now is a mixer board. I moved to Pio on my last AVR b/c the price was right and it had the features I needed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But, if Yammy adopts Audyssey, there is a good chance the price would go up due to the added license.

I am also a huge Yammy fan. But, I haven't owned one since before they had YPAO or any room correction was really the norm on an AVR.

My old natural sound AVR was great!!! I sold it to a friend many years ago, and he still rocks it for his main stereo.
Denon also pays for the Audyssey license. Would the Yamaha AVR cost more than Denon AVR?

Yamaha could stop all research in YPAO and cut cost there. Having Audyssey would increase market share (from Denon/Marantz). When Onkyo had Audyssey, that was a huge selling point.

I think the other option is to add ARC.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
I will be doing a BIG battery of test on this with Atmos and will be publishing all my finds either on here or the main page But its going to take a while lol so please be patient .

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon also pays for the Audyssey license. Would the Yamaha AVR cost more than Denon AVR?

Yamaha could stop all research in YPAO and cut cost there. Having Audyssey would increase market share (from Denon/Marantz). When Onkyo had Audyssey, that was a huge selling point.

I think the other option is to add ARC.
The thing that Yamaha has over Audyssey is that they also make musical instruments. They understand acoustics from their production of these instruments so their research into YPAO comes at a cheaper price than it would to license Audyssey. Yamaha is definitely doing the right thing.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The thing that Yamaha has over Audyssey is that they also make musical instruments. They understand acoustics from their production of these instruments so their research into YPAO comes at a cheaper price than it would to license Audyssey. Yamaha is definitely doing the right thing.
I wouldn't argue which is actually better because I realize it's based on preference too.

But from a pure financial POV, what would sell more, YPAO or Audyssey?

Possibly the only reason many Denon customers would never buy Yamaha is because Yamaha does not have Audyssey.

If Yamaha customers would continue to buy Yamaha AVR w/ Audyssey and Denon customers would now be willing to buy Yamaha because of Audyssey, wouldn't that be a win-win for Yamaha?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wouldn't argue which is actually better because I realize it's based on preference too.

But from a pure financial POV, what would sell more, YPAO or Audyssey?

Possibly the only reason many Denon customers would never buy Yamaha is because Yamaha does not have Audyssey.

If Yamaha customers would continue to buy Yamaha AVR w/ Audyssey and Denon customers would now be willing to buy Yamaha because of Audyssey, wouldn't that be a win-win for Yamaha?
I'm not arguing whats better. What I said is Yamaha's research cost into YPAO is offset by the knowledge gained from their manufacturer of musical instruments. Yamaha going to Audyssey will incur a price increase. There is no benefit for Yamaha to adopt Audyssey. Add this to the fact that there have been no studies done to say which is better. All arguements that show one better than the other have been subjective and or academic in nature. Yamaha is doing the correct thing by not going the Audyssey root.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not arguing whats better. What I said is Yamaha's research cost into YPAO is offset by the knowledge gained from their manufacturer of musical instruments. Yamaha going to Audyssey will incur a price increase. There is no benefit for Yamaha to adopt Audyssey. Add this to the fact that there have been no studies done to say which is better. All arguements that show one better than the other have been subjective and or academic in nature. Yamaha is doing the correct thing by not going the Audyssey root.
There is also a good chance that Yammy thinks that YPAO is better. Heck, if you could do something in-house, then why would you contract it out?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If it's not broken, don't fix it?

Yeah, if Yamaha is doing great financially, there is no point of changing.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Sorry Yamaha, until you drop Grandpa's Axe | YPAO™ - R.S.C. in favour of Audyssey XT32; SubEQ HT, you're out of the running as far as I'm concerned. Shame... awesome machine otherwise.

The current $2000 AVR pick for me is therefore the Denon AVR-5200W.

Side-by-side: http://www.crutchfield.com/Responsive/Product/CompareTo.aspx?compareItems=01|033AVX5200&compareItems=01|022RXA3040&g=10420
Trust me if that's what making your decision to not use Yamaha then my friend you are seriously missing out

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Yamaha does not use an SMPS. It's a linear supply just like the Denon. They rate the power consumption differently. I think Denon rates max power while Yamaha rates full PWR for 1 CH and all other channels 1/8th power.

Check this article for a bit more info: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1
It seems to me we are all just guessing. In many cases Yamaha does provide power consumption and maximum power consumption in their manuals. For the 3040 it is 1,210 Watt. Denon, on the other hand provides just one number and if I remember right it is about 780 Watt for the 4311 and 4520, or 8.1A for the older models such as my 4308. I am quite sure Denon's maximum consumption would be much higher than what they provided at the back of the enclosure base on bench tests found on the AH site (done by Gene), S&V and other magazines printed or online.

Again, we do not know for sure what the maximum power consumption is for the Denon but we know it is 1210 Watt for the Yamaha according to the manual.

I believe it is almost a waste of time to compare the real world power outputs of products among different manufactures base on the power consumption figures in the back of the units. I wish there are more rigid standards or regulations for manufacturers to follow.

Power consumption aside, the 3040 seems to offer superior audio specs for the same money so it is a no brainer, but too bad I do need Audyssey XT32.

Last edited:
Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Almost Done Ugh Between Thanksgiving My Kid that LOVES to climb everything Im almost done with it. lol.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
as far as I Know they Did But Integra Kept it in.

K

keithhr

Audiophyte
I just got the RX-A2040 and loved the ypao set up and not long after setting it up I started getting CEC100 error messages and I spent hours going through their menus which are almost impossible to decipher. I went through set up menus and found their are at least 4 setup menus in the on screen part. Each menu has different options and Yamaha does not explain what changing settings actually does. So , I contacted yamaha support and got no help, but tech tried. I contacted the knowledgeable isf tech that calibrated my Pioneer Elite 151fd and in the end I had to run all my hdmi cables from the source devices directly back into my tv and ran digital coaxial and optical cables to the limited connections on my Yamaha. After doing that I found that hidden into menus structures there was another hidden menu that allowed me to choose the type of input I could rename and and choose optical/coaxial connections for. Today I spent 4 hours plus finding a reference to a setup option which referenced a page, far, far away from where I was. This happened over and over, find something promising and get a reference to yet another page. Drove me nuts, I had a couple of hdmi handshake issues and had to rearrange the inputs on the yamaha and in the end I triumphed, somehow, with sheer grit, I think. I had a perfectly fine, even better than fine, B&K AVR507s2 receiver that I could have put back into my system with the same results and possibly better sound. My B&K sounded terrific and was all set up. I may go back to it just for spite because It didn't have any hdmi inputs and now it doesn't matter

K

keithhr

Audiophyte
I just got the RX-A2040 and loved the ypao set up and not long after setting it up I started getting CEC100 error messages and I spent hours going through their menus which are almost impossible to decipher. I went through set up menus and found their are at least 4 setup menus in the on screen part. Each menu has different options and Yamaha does not explain what changing settings actually does. So , I contacted yamaha support and got no help, but tech tried. I contacted the knowledgeable isf tech that calibrated my Pioneer Elite 151fd and in the end I had to run all my hdmi cables from the source devices directly back into my tv and ran digital coaxial and optical cables to the limited connections on my Yamaha. After doing that I found that hidden into menus structures there was another hidden menu that allowed me to choose the type of input I could rename and and choose optical/coaxial connections for. Today I spent 4 hours plus finding a reference to a setup option which referenced a page, far, far away from where I was. This happened over and over, find something promising and get a reference to yet another page. Drove me nuts, I had a couple of hdmi handshake issues and had to rearrange the inputs on the yamaha and in the end I triumphed, somehow, with sheer grit, I think. I had a perfectly fine, even better than fine, B&K AVR507s2 receiver that I could have put back into my system with the same results and possibly better sound. My B&K sounded terrific and was all set up. I may go back to it just for spite because It didn't have any hdmi inputs and now it doesn't matter

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
I'm Actually selling My RX-A3040 fairly cheap. im looking for 1150 for it shipped

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
not to go off subject but has anyone used a LCD monitor with a HDMI connection to view the 3040's or any of the Yamaha's other AVR's with a HDMI port, to access/view the menu options?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis