Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3040 AV Receiver Overview

• Thread starter Steve Pitbull Potenziano
  • Start date

Would you upgrade to this AVR?

• Total voters
Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Ok So Time to discus the great sounding receiver.. AND Id like to get all of your Input in it on and on the subject. I have one and I can tell you its some of the best sound in a AVR today. The remote is a little wonky , but that's what the tablet and phone App are for. Some of the Best DACs out .I built a Dedicated 11.2 Dolby Atmos home theatre room. And designed it to be future proof. I'm very interested in ALL of your thoughts on this new product and if any of you have it yet and can share your opinions on it .
43177_12001_1.jpg

What it is and does :

43087_12008_1.jpg
A2E3C3C8815C4910BD57CD0A8EC29FAA_12008.jpg

• Dolby Atmos® (Now available with required firmware update)
  • Easy control with Yamaha AV Controller App
  • 150 W x 9-channel powerful surround sound
  • 4K Ultra HD video up conversion using Yamaha's advanced video processing
  • Support for HDMI® 2.0 specification (4K Ultra HD 50/60p compatible)
  • Wi-Fi network connectivity
  • AirPlay®, HTC Connect™, Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, Rhapsody®
  • FLAC, WAV 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple® Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback and gapless playback compatibility
  • CINEMA DSP HD3 for more thrilling and realistic surround sound
  • Dual ESS Technology DACs for ultra-high sound quality
  • YPAO™ - R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint and angle measurement

The Specs are as such:

AV Receiver
Amplifier Section Channel 9.2
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven) 165 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 150 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 175 / 220 / 295 / 410 W
Surround Sound Processing CINEMA DSP Yes (HD3)
DSP Programs 23
Dialog Level Adjustment Yes
Virtual Presence Speaker Yes
Dialogue Lift Yes (no presence speakers required)
SILENT CINEMA Yes
Virtual CINEMA FRONT Yes
Dolby TrueHD Yes
Dolby Digital Plus Yes
Dolby Pro Logic IIx Yes
DTS-HD Master Audio Yes
Audio Features Pure Direct Yes (with video on mode)
Compressed Music Enhancer Yes
High-resolution Music Enhancer Yes
YPAO sound optimization Yes (3D and angle)
YPAO Volume Yes
Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control) Yes
Initial Volume & Maximum Volume Setting Yes
A.R.T. Wedge Yes
Bi-amp capability Yes
Audio Delay Yes (0-500 ms)
192kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels Yes (ESS Technology ES9016 SABRE32™ Ultra DAC + ESS Technology ES9006 SABRE™ Premier Audio DAC)
Video Features 4K Ultra HD Pass-through and upscaling Yes (50/60p)
HDMI 3D pass-through Yes
HDMI Audio Return Channel Yes
HDMI upscaling Yes (analog to HDMI / HDMI to HDMI)
HDMI 2.0 Spec Support Yes
Video adjustment Yes
Deep Color/x.v.Color/24Hz Refresh Rate /Auto Lip-Sync Yes
Connectivity MHL Support Yes
Wi-Fi Yes (with Wireless Direct)
DC Out Yes
AirPlay Yes
Extensive Connection HDMI Input/Output 8 (1 front) / 2 (assignable for zone 2 / 4)
HDMI CEC Yes (SCENE, device control)
Network Port Yes (AirPlay®, HTC Connect™, Pandora®, Spotify, Rhapsody®, SiriusXM Internet Radio, DLNA® 1.5, vTuner)
USB Input iPod® / iPhone® / iPad®, USB memory, portable audio player (MP3, WMA, AAC up to 48 kHz / 16-bit, FLAC / WAV up to 192 kHz / 24-bit)
Front AV Input HDMI (MHL support), USB, analog audio, optical, composite
Digital Audio Input/Output: Optical 3 / 0
Digital Audio Input/Output: Coaxial 3 / 0
Analog Audio Input/Output 10 (1 front) / 1
Phono Input Yes
Component Video Input/Output 3 / 1
Composite Video Input/Output 5 (1 front) / 2
Multi-Channel Input 8-ch
Preout 11.2-ch
Headphone Output Yes
Tuner Section FM/AM Tuner Yes
HD Radio Compatibility Yes
User Interface On-screen display Graphical user interface
SCENE SCENE PLUS (12 sets)
App Control Yes (iPhone / iPad, Android™ phone / tablet, Kindle Fire™)
Web Browser Control Yes
Remote Control Unit Yes (preset)
Zone Control Zone 2 Audio Output Line output / HDMI
Zone 3 Audio Output Line output
Zone 4 Audio Output HDMI
Powered Zone Zone 2 / 3
Zone Video Output HDMI / Component / Composite
Zone HDMI Yes (advanced HDMI® zone switching)
Zone B Video Output HDMI
Zone GUI YES
RS-232C Interface Yes
+12V Trigger Output Yes (2)
Remote (IR) Input/Output 2 / 2
Party Mode Yes
General Standby Power Consumption (IR only) ≤0.1 W
Auto Power Standby Yes
ECO mode Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D) 17-1/8” x 7-1/2” x 18-3/8” (with antenna: 17-1/8” x 9-7/8” x 18-5/8”)
Weight 39.9 lbs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No offense to the previous poster (and I really mean no offense ) but I think this YPAO vs Audyssey is just an academic exercise based on marketing. There have been no studies done using scientific research that one is better than the other. Yamaha quality in their products is the envy of the electronics industry. I would per love to upgrade to the 3040.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
It is definitely a great product.it was a tough choice between the 2. But the fact yamaha build quality is second to none. Not to mention they just updated to firmware 1.6and enable Dolby Atmos plus extra features were added.at this point it is definitely the pinnacle 4 high-end AV receivers. And trust me you can feel it in the weight they definitely did not scrimp on quality components. I will be postingand doing over views on different receivers in the future Plus talking about room acoustics for new room builds.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
I will be giving my FULL review of this in the next 2 days I am picking up Transformers 4 "Not that I want to lol" It is the only Dolby Atmos release out so far so I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb.
blu-ray-transformers-4-age-of-extinction-3d-4-disc-imax-edit-19418-MLM20172256274_092014-F.jpg

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Nice piece, out of shear curiosity could you do a simple hdmi pass through test. I guess something like source to avr via hdmi then avr out to flat panel via hdmi, will the signal pass through without the unit (avr) powered on ?? I have read on various forums and reviews that Yammy makes this happen. Thanks sawz.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Sure I can say that. For Tv I am running straight through to cable bypass the AVR. But in movies I go into the AVR then to the Darbee then to my Blu ray. Look on my profile here and I did a Vid of my theatre on you tube. But Ill do my best for ya bud. :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Quality piece of gear, and great sound I'm sure. I have a much older yamaha, and have been looking for a reason to upgrade. But mine still works. If I were to upgrade, it would probably be this or an Anthem MRX 710. Just because I don't really need all the extra features. But my current receiver still works great and really lites up my speakers when I push it, in my small to medium size listening space.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
I will say its the quality of the sound of it and the total solid build quality. That II cant say enough good things about it.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yeah, I'm sure it's an absolutely awesome receiver. I tried a model from Integra a few years back (can't remember the model number), DTR 7.6 something or other, but I guessing, anyway, my Yamaha was more dynamic and better sounding to my ears, so I sold the Integra and kept my Yamaha. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to testing a yamaha against the mrx 710 ( I have a relationship with a local dealer and they will let me return the 710)

This is another topic, but it's a shame AH never got around to reviewing the Ascend Acoustic towers w/ Raal tweeters. A lot of folks, including me, would've been very interested in their view of these speakers. Anyway, the Yamaha and the Anthem are on my shortlist when I do decide to upgrade amps. But first, I am awaiting my matching center which is on order, and an SVS sub, then I can really appreciate a new amp.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Ill look into it and get right back with you.kk

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3040_black_u/?mode=model
It reads 120V 480W 60 Hz on the back. Is it utilizing some variation of SMPS?
My Denon AVR- 4520ci reads 120V 780W 60 Hz.
Good observation. The apparent discrepancy is due to how Yamaha quotes their power consumption figures. Instead of quoting maximum power consumption like many manufacturers, I understand Yamaha quotes "typical" power consumption. I think they work this out on the basis of all channels operating simultaneously at 1/8th power. Nevertheless, the Aventage RX-A30xx line have proved to be the "real deal" in terms of output power, as evidenced by Gene's testing here: http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/rx-a3000/rx-a3000-measurements-cont
The Yamaha RX-A3000 handedly exceeded its 140wpc power rating continuously with two channels driven and stomped out an impressive 236wpc both channels driven into 4 ohms; and that’s a full power bandwidth measurement (20Hz to 20kHz at 0.1% THD + N). It proved to be every bit as powerful as their more expensive RX-Z7 mode(l).
As another data point, my old 9 channel Onkyo TX-NR1007 (135WPC) quotes 1060W :eek: . The take-away being that putting a lot of stock in back panel power consumption figures can be risky.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3040_black_u/?mode=model
It reads 120V 480W 60 Hz on the back. Is it utilizing some variation of SMPS?
My Denon AVR- 4520ci reads 120V 780W 60 Hz.
The Yamaha does not use an SMPS. It's a linear supply just like the Denon. They rate the power consumption differently. I think Denon rates max power while Yamaha rates full PWR for 1 CH and all other channels 1/8th power.

Check this article for a bit more info: http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Gene is exactly right. They do not use the same power rating. But I am more Apt to believe they are much more conservative on the power rating than Denon by far. I am pushing this thing and STILL has plenty of head room to go. Lets just say Im sure my wife hates me at this point. lol.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I have had Yamaha's and Denon's, and still do. I love them both! It's like having a gorgeous set of boobs around the house! Which one do I love the most, the right or the left? Enjoy your Yammie!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis