Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
And if like me you want only stereo music, you can disable atmos music in the AppleTV audio settings menu. Because you can't select stereo vs atmos directly in AppleMusic app. I know, I am old school ;)
I’m curious if you’ve had time to try any Atmos music. I enjoy 2.0 2.1 and multichannel at any given point. Have to say I tried some Atmos music the other night. Wow. Just wow.
I was really surprised at how tasteful it was. Some placements were interesting, but overall I was very pleased. The instrument separation is something that really stood out to me. Especially as a musician who likes to find all the elements in a mix.
You can definitely turn it back off. Just thought I’d mention, it’s definitely worth trying.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I’m curious if you’ve had time to try any Atmos music. I enjoy 2.0 2.1 and multichannel at any given point. Have to say I tried some Atmos music the other night. Wow. Just wow.
I was really surprised at how tasteful it was. Some placements were interesting, but overall I was very pleased. The instrument separation is something that really stood out to me. Especially as a musician who likes to find all the elements in a mix.
You can definitely turn it back off. Just thought I’d mention, it’s definitely worth trying.
Yes I have listened to Billie Eilish Happier Than Ever that is a master piece in Stereo and in Atmos. Surround music is interesting, I don't dislike it, but I find it a bit disturbing to be "IN" the music. I like a wide stereo scene, and with YPAO volume the stereo wideness (is this a word ?) is twice as large than when listening in pure direct (I only use pure direct for test purpose only, as a reference sound, I prefer YPAO correction and DSP Straight for music listening). Nothing wrong with Atmos music, it's something different and with some qualities.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
YPAO : I played with my speaker position and angle a lot and finally bring them back where they were. But maybe not exactly at the “exact” same position and angle. Was sounding good but I had the feeling I have lost something in spatial. Ran YPAO once again and… boom : the sound came back as good as before moving/ tilting front speakers toward listening position. It’s crazy how acoustic works. And even if YPAO isn’t the best room correction out there, it’s really damn impressive.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I am not sure what setting you're tinkering with there. Go to DSP Program/ Surround Decoder/ Pick DSU and set center spread to 'on'. Don't worry too much about tweaking with custom soundfields yet ( i assume you have a Yamaha Aventage unit?).

If you have a smaller music venue in your town, perhaps a bit bigger than a larger home listening room. Go there and try watching some unplugged band, for instance. I recently saw a couple of string quartets sitting up close. It sounds nothing...and i repeat nothing like stereo. It sounds very much like Atmos to me! :)
The sets and or feature sets, not much, 2.1 music with enhancer on sometimes. YPAO: Low frequency,, set. Tone Control + 2 Treble,Bass +1. That's about it, I'm a straight 2.1 music guys. Now for HT, it's game on! Anything is possible lots to tinker with. I'm really still feeling this AVR out.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I have several lengths of these cables and find they are superior to all other HDMI cables for full bandwidth 2.1 -> RUIPRO 8K HDMI Fiber Optic Cable
It's because they are "active" cables. These are able to carry hdmi signal on hundred of feet as they are using photons to send the signal. They are converting the electric signal into laser beam then throught optical fiber.

Edit: The only thing to check with these cables is that the source hdmi plug can become really hot as it converts the electric signal into light, so there is a laser LED that builds heat.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It's because they are "active" cables. These are able to carry hdmi signal on hundred of feet as they are using photons to send the signal. They are converting the electric signal into laser beam then throught optical fiber.
:D lol I take it you clicked the link huh? Lol

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Yes I have listened to Billie Eilish Happier Than Ever that is a master piece in Stereo and in Atmos. Surround music is interesting, I don't dislike it, but I find it a bit disturbing to be "IN" the music. I like a wide stereo scene, and with YPAO volume the stereo wideness (is this a word ?) is twice as large than when listening in pure direct (I only use pure direct for test purpose only, as a reference sound, I prefer YPAO correction and DSP Straight for music listening). Nothing wrong with Atmos music, it's something different and with some qualities.
You will feel like you are "IN" the music when you're sitting up close in a venue watching anything unplugged. These 3D object based codecs like atmos mimic that experience in a more accurate manner. Stereo sounds fake in that regard and does not let you hear it like you heard it live. It does not provide the envelopment/immersion/realistic soundstage similar to that of a live experience. Stereo is very old technology at this point, has its limitations and many listeners are familiar/"used to it". But, to be fair, i guess its what the listener is "used to" that matters for personal enjoyment. It would be hard for a guy who's been listening to stereo most of his life to come to terms with stuff like atmos (was the same for me initially).

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You want to hear the TRUTH! Well, some members in here do not want to hear the Truth because they simply cannot handle the TRUTH
Oh! Quite a high ground. May I suggest that "truth" is a complicated concept? Let alone adding "the" to it. I am scared already that I could burn in hell if I disagree with "the truth" ;-)

Homo sapiens have been trying to define, explain and measure truth for several thousand years. Quite a mission!

1. Consensual truth: "Majority of users think that Yamaha A6A is a good AVR/waste of time"
2. Empirical truth: "Measurements show that SINAD in one of A6A's channels is 64dB"
3. Revealed truth: "We can offer consumers a state-of-the-art new AVRs"
4. Perceived truth: "I can hear noise on this channel and tonality is not very warm"

Considering the fact (another truth?) that objectively low measurement of 64dB is unlikely to be subjectively heard by many or all, "the" truth is becoming ever more elusive. Two cents from introduction to philosophy into AV ;-)

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Oh! Quite a high ground. May I suggest that "truth" is a complicated concept? Let alone adding "the" to it. I am scared already that I could burn in hell if I disagree with "the truth" ;-)

Homo sapiens have been trying to define, explain and measure truth for several thousand years. Quite a mission!

1. Consensual truth: "Majority of users think that Yamaha A6A is a good AVR/waste of time"
2. Empirical truth: "Measurements show that SINAD in one of A6A's channels is 64dB"
4. Perceived truth: "I can hear noise on this channel and tonality is not very warm"

Considering the fact (another truth?) that objectively low measurement of 64dB is unlikely to be subjectively heard by many or all, "the" true is becoming ever more elusive. Two cents from introduction to philosophy into AV ;-)
"Measurements show that SINAD in one of A6A's channels is 64dB"

Could it be that one channel is handled by the lower end Sabre ESS ?
I know that on the RX-A8A there are two 9026pro but only one on the RX-A6A and a lower DAC.

Edit:
Specs different are substantial too:

ES9006S/9007S - DR: 120 dB, THD+N: -102 dB
ES9026Pro - DR: 124 dB, THD+N: -110 dB

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
"Measurements show that SINAD in one of A6A's channels is 64dB"

Could it be that one channel is handled by the lower end Sabre ESS ?
I know that on the RX-A8A there are two 9026pro but only one on the RX-A6A and a lower DAC.
64bB, really! Really!! :rolleyes:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Considering the fact (another truth?) that objectively low measuremen
There is a lot of truth to this statement! (Pun intended).

I like to say that "truth is that which comports with reality", but absolute truth is difficult if not impossible for anyone to truly *know*.

I dabble a little bit in philosophy and epistemology, no formal education tho. It's unsettling when you realize absolute truth is, at least for now, pretty much unattainable for anyone. I recognized your philosophical approach to audio and it triggered the philosophy nerd in me. :p

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My 100feet cable cost me... 700cad...
Wait what!! 700 claims! as in moolah? Green backs? CAD must a new currency huh? Like umm cryptocurrency? Either way, and I'm guessing you got at least two of them right?. You spent 700 Canadian dollars on one HDMI cable! I'm never getting any HDMI cable over 20ft.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Wait what!! 700 claims! as in moolah? Green backs? CAD must a new currency huh? Like umm cryptocurrency? Either way, and I'm guessing you got at least two of them right?. You spent 700 Canadian dollars on one HDMI cable! I'm never getting any HDMI cable over 20ft.
1$ is 1.24cad then taxes and custom fees...

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
If you are reading this, you are actually just a butterfly dreaming that you're a human using the internet. Good day.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis