Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I'm using 7.1.4 at the moment and I happened to notice some dialogue on the surrounds yesterday. Though I was watching live sports - the Formula One race, it was in Atmos I think. I assumed it was a live mixing thing - and the voices on the surrounds were pretty quiet anyway.

Anyway, I set up two Scenes today so I could rapidly switch between 7.1.4 and the other 5.1.4.

I played a Netflix episode with an Atmos soundtrack and could hear no vocal bleed in either setting. Same with a 5.1 soundtrack - no bleed. I used Dolby for both tests.

A programme with a 2.0 track - the surrounds had the dialogue in both 7.1.4 and 5.1.4. I then switched to Surround AI and the surrounds fell silent.

I don't know what Dolby is supposed to do with 2.0 sources. I'd assume that Dolby Labs tested Yamaha's implementation to check it was correct.

p.s. I did a similar 2.0 test on my A2080 system and it was the reverse - I got no dialogue on the surrounds with Dolby - but they sprang into life when I switched on Surround AI. Very odd.
I have the same analysis about the Surround Decoder vs AI Surround : with proper Atmos I don't detect any issue, any bleeding. But using Surround Decoder with a pure stereo input is doing "something" with too much voices in the left/right surround to my taste while AI Decoder is performing really well with stereo (I watched the F1 grand prix and I didn't liked the way it sounded with Surround Decoder, but was really nice with AI Surround)

Edit : You live in UK if I remember well and I think it's Sky that broadcast F1 (even in 4K I think). If it's even with Dolby Atmos, lucky you. I receive just 1080p stereo in Canada...

Last edited:
diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
Edit : You live in UK if I remember well and I think it's Sky that broadcast F1 (even in 4K I think). If it's even with Dolby Atmos, lucky you. I receive just 1080p stereo in Canada...
Yes, 4k (at 50 genuine fps) and Atmos. :D I am indeed lucky in that respect. Costs extra of course. As I project it on a 110 inch screen the extra pixels come in handy. Not sure the Atmos adds a lot to F1 though.

I'm pleased we seem to get the same results. I might put in a ticket tomorrow about the 2.0.

p.s. Real mess of an F1 race yesterday wasn't it, though very entertaining to say the least. Decider next weekend probably be boring by comparison. :)

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Yes, 4k (at 50 genuine fps) and Atmos. :D I am indeed lucky in that respect. Costs extra of course. As I project it on a 110 inch screen the extra pixels come in handy. Not sure the Atmos adds a lot to F1 though.

I'm pleased we seem to get the same results. I might put in a ticket tomorrow about the 2.0.

p.s. Real mess of an F1 race yesterday wasn't it. Decider next weekend probably be boring by comparison. :)
Yep they need to be consistent with rules, and the way they apply them. Watching the stewards proposing to RedBull to give back Hamilton a position in front of Verstappen in front of cameras was surrealistic. UK got plenty of pilots I love : Mansell, Hill, Button, Hamilton. All great pilots with their very own personalities and the fighting spirit. Can’t say the same from Crahstappen, Schumacher… these are great pilots but not great sportsmen.
i wasn’t aware that live Atmos broadcasting was a thing. I would be curious about how do they get “object” positions to feed the Atmos stream.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@OldAndSlowDev , go check out Gene's thread, the one on product of the Year award. You and I where pretty much spot on, Gene stated that more than likely in his findings, probably won't even be audible. :D engineers especially with Gene, there's no room for 2nd place, not when it comes to stated of the art.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
@OldAndSlowDev , go check out Gene's thread, the one on product of the Year award. You and I where pretty much spot on, Gene stated that more than likely in his findings, probably won't even be audible. :D engineers especially with Gene, there's no room for 2nd place, not when it comes to stated art.
Yes I saw that. To me it’s all I want to know. If it remains correct in the human audible range then I don’t care about distortion. I was worried about some real use cases where I would have been able to hear it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I saw that. To me it’s all I want to know. If it remains correct in the human audible range then I don’t care about distortion. I was worried about some real use cases where I would have been able to hear it.
Yeah, same here, Andrew and I have been texting on cell over the last few weeks of that very same thing of Gene's findings. Gene after all is a engineer, things you or I wouldn't consider or maybe you do, for me and many other's, once the movie or music gets going more than likely No one is going to be able to hear anything other then good sound. But Gene been at this a long time professionally and at a high level with testing gear and if he says he isn't or not happy with the results than that's bank. My thoughts on the Yamaha issues seems to be blown out of proportion to a point. But also justified with the updates and the 2.1 issues on their lower end line. I get it, You get it, your a gamer and like us audio enthusiasts we pay a lot of money and serious gamers do also so yeah it can get frustrating. In the end like I have said from the beginning it'll all get worked out. The consumer most always gets the short end. Back in 2012 when my Samsung 51" plasma tv, two Onkyo AVR,s and a 3D Samsung blu-ray player crapped out on me. I came very close to getting out of this hobby and just use a sound bar and just a blue ray player with my tv. For about a year between 2014- 2015 I had nothing of audio/video. But I couldn't stay away, this hobby has been in my bones since the mid 70's can't stop now it makes the most sense in my life now.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Since this isn't an exclusive Yamaha Owners Club, rather an overly long thread waiting for a promised review (*ahem) ALL VOICES AND OPINIONS SHOULD BE WELCOMED.
If there is fault in a claim, then counter it with fact. Hurling insults back and forth is beyond foolish. AND, last time I checked, we do all still have a right to voice opinion. And if that opinion is wrong, proven truths shall win out. ;)
Walk into the light! All are welcome. :p(beyond foolish) like your use of insinuating Yamaha Fanboyz are (guinea pigs). Or where you've posted up you couldn't wait to bring your (pitchfork) as soon as Gene post up his fact findings on his test results of the A6A. Your right, Don't start no Sh&t, won't be no Sh&t. But when you do, just wear some hip boots.;)

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I dont recall Onkyo having the whole village at the weekly witch burning? :p Nor Denon for that matter.

C

chapp

Audioholic
You want to hear the TRUTH! Well, some members in here do not want to hear the Truth because they simply cannot handle the TRUTH. Hence, the bickering... goes on. This is not conducive to assisting others who want to learn more about the gear they own or want to purchase. We need to have respect for others and show some kindness and honesty. Is this not why we are here in the first place? Thank you and best regards to all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You want to hear the TRUTH! Well, some members in here do not want to hear the Truth because they simply cannot handle the TRUTH.
Lolwut?

Well at least you're not stirring the pot by making blanket negative assertions...

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I dont recall Onkyo having the whole village at the weekly witch burning? :p Nor Denon for that matter.
Lol..Top of the morning brother! Yeah :D I'm just jacking with @ryanosaur Ryan, broski cheese slice.:p he's definitely one of the good guys on here knowledgeable. I just like what he brings to the table. He, like You and I, he brings it. There was a burning of Onkyos? Where! When? ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You want to hear the TRUTH! Well, some members in here do not want to hear the Truth because they simply cannot handle the TRUTH. Hence, the bickering... goes on. This is not conducive to assisting others who want to learn more about the gear they own or want to purchase. We need to have respect for others and show some kindness and honesty. Is this not why we are here in the first place? Thank you and best regards to all.
What you talking about Willis? Smoke and mirror's man. All small words.. blah blah blah blah blah. It's not nice to be or not to be. Nobody's is taking anything serious on a audio/video thingy and if they are getting hurt feelings or bad headaches. Then maybe they should go on Dr Phils show, oh man, Dr Phil I don't know what to do, members on AH saying my AVR is junky, runs Hot and my AVR can't do anything right. Or go on the Steve Wilkos show, let Steve trow a few chairs so they can feel better about themselves. It's All in Fun. Big boys don't cry. ;)

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
What's your thoughts of your AVR for music only use? 2.1? and or 2.2. Don't know if you have 1,2 or ten subs. I went back all the way to page 1 of this thread, and outside of a hand full posts not much is mention on thoughts for music use. Which is sad in a way. Don't get me wrong I like HT also, but there's a whole Lot more than just, DSP, RC, and so. How does Your AVR sound for music use only?
I am using mine mostly for music, 80% music 15% gaming 5% movies. Why would you listen to music in 2.2 only? You could upmix it to Atmos with your upmixer and listen to it in 5.2.2, 7.2.4, whatever you've got. It sounds better on most (not all) native stereo mixes.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
A few guys who seem to be very focused on the 0bashing in this t
I am using mine mostly for music, 80% music 15% gaming 5% movies. Why would you listen to music in 2.2 only? You could upmix it to Atmos with your upmixer and listen to it in 5.2.2, 7.2.4, whatever you've got. It sounds better on most (not all) native stereo mixes.
Thanks for your thoughts, I haven't used any of the sound fields to tell the truth. I'm a 2.1 guy, I have played around with, the Hi-Reg mode thing. For Vinyl it helps some, well cause with Vinyl it's a analog source as I'm sure you know. So using that DSP, Hi-Reg mode (upmixing) to a digital format it helps. But I do have new albums that's been remastered, much better quality than the older albums from the 70s. One in particular my Ied Zeppelin album is mastered by Jimmy Page. It's phenomenal just like it is, the Hi-Reg mode wasn't good at all set to on. I found it added to much echoing, sometimes those enhancement sources can bring good things to the game but it can also add too much that shouldn't be there. I don't want to be listening to my led Zeppelin album with kaleidoscope eyes.

Last edited:
C

chapp

Audioholic
Apple TV+ has a multitude of Atmos music that you can test out if you are already subscribed. I got a trial with the purchase of the Apple TV 4k. "Apple Music" just a suggestion. Take care and enjoy your system to its fullest.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
My beta tester journey for Yamaha A8A continues. After discussing with the dealer to give it back, I reset the AVR and before disconnecting I said, let's make one last test since I can crank the volume up because I was alone. I restored the settings from a back-up and somehow the AVR started to sound right. I checked, music, movies, TV. The hissing is gone, the sibilance is normal, the center channel sounds right.
My guess is that the culprit is the connection with the web setup since I altered all the settings from the tablet and I could see that the AVR did not modified some of them. I do not know how to explain this.
Now the only big issue remains the popping sound. I discussed with the dealer and I asked them to contact Yamaha about the pop sound in the speakers and ask if it is software or hardware related. I could replicate the behavior at changing sources, when pausing and starting Atmos content, when I turn off the AVR.
For now, my beta tester journey continues.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
My beta tester journey for Yamaha A8A continues. After discussing with the dealer to give it back, I reset the AVR and before disconnecting I said, let's make one last test since I can crank the volume up because I was alone. I restored the settings from a back-up and somehow the AVR started to sound right. I checked, music, movies, TV. The hissing is gone, the sibilance is normal, the center channel sounds right.
My guess is that the culprit is the connection with the web setup since I altered all the settings from the tablet and I could see that the AVR did not modified some of them. I do not know how to explain this.
Now the only big issue remains the popping sound. I discussed with the dealer and I asked them to contact Yamaha about the pop sound in the speakers and ask if it is software or hardware related. I could replicate the behavior at changing sources, when pausing and starting Atmos content, when I turn off the AVR.
For now, my beta tester journey continues.
I have seen a post saying the webinterface is bugged for editing PEQ. Could it be that ??? I never used the web interface for anything but creating my scene presets. I use the amp on screen menus for everything else. I wish you a good surprise then, discorvering the full potential of this nice amp. Maybe not the best sinad, thd-n, but still very musical which is something biological and subjective.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Apple TV+ has a multitude of Atmos music that you can test out if you are already subscribed. I got a trial with the purchase of the Apple TV 4k. "Apple Music" just a suggestion. Take care and enjoy your system to its fullest.
And if like me you want only stereo music, you can disable atmos music in the AppleTV audio settings menu. Because you can't select stereo vs atmos directly in AppleMusic app. I know, I am old school ;)

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I have seen a post saying the webinterface is bugged for editing PEQ. Could it be that ??? I never used the web interface for anything but creating my scene presets. I use the amp on screen menus for everything else. I wish you a good surprise then, discorvering the full potential of this nice amp. Maybe not the best sinad, thd-n, but still very musical which is something biological and subjective.
Yes, it was mine. Now I do not touch the web interface.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Thanks for your thoughts, I haven't used any of the sound fields to tell the truth. I'm a 2.1 guy, I have played around with, the Hi-Reg mode thing. For Vinyl it helps some, well cause with Vinyl it's a analog source as I'm sure you know. So using that DSP, Hi-Reg mode (upmixing) to a digital format it helps. But I do have new albums that's been remastered, much better quality than the older albums from the 70s. One in particular my Ied Zeppelin album is mastered by Jimmy Page. It's phenomenal just like it is, the Hi-Reg mode wasn't good at all set to on. I found it added to much echoing, sometimes those enhancement sources can bring good things to the game but it can also add too much that shouldn't be there. I don't want to be listening to my led Zeppelin album with kaleidoscope eyes.
I am not sure what setting you're tinkering with there. Go to DSP Program/ Surround Decoder/ Pick DSU and set center spread to 'on'. Don't worry too much about tweaking with custom soundfields yet ( i assume you have a Yamaha Aventage unit?).

If you have a smaller music venue in your town, perhaps a bit bigger than a larger home listening room. Go there and try watching some unplugged band, for instance. I recently saw a couple of string quartets sitting up close. It sounds nothing...and i repeat nothing like stereo. It sounds very much like Atmos to me! :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis