Yamaha AV Receiver RX-A780 Delay In Sound

P

pelt10

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha AV Receiver RX-A780 I bought new back in February 2017. I have a set of Definitive Technology - ProMonitor speakers connected, 5 in total. I also have a Polk Sub connected. I have a DVD player and a Samsung TV. I also have an Xfinity cable box.

Recently, when hitting the remote to click on the TV and Receiver, the TV and Receiver both click on right away, but the sound initially comes through the TV. After about 2-3 seconds it clicks off the TV and then through the speakers, but this can take anywhere from 5 seconds to several minutes for the sound to work through the speakers so there is no sound at all. I would say this started within the past 6-9 months. The sound would always come on through the speakers within a few seconds, but now like I mentioned it can take seconds or minutes.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Yamaha AV Receiver RX-A780 I bought new back in February 2017. I have a set of Definitive Technology - ProMonitor speakers connected, 5 in total. I also have a Polk Sub connected. I have a DVD player and a Samsung TV. I also have an Xfinity cable box.

Recently, when hitting the remote to click on the TV and Receiver, the TV and Receiver both click on right away, but the sound initially comes through the TV. After about 2-3 seconds it clicks off the TV and then through the speakers, but this can take anywhere from 5 seconds to several minutes for the sound to work through the speakers so there is no sound at all. I would say this started within the past 6-9 months. The sound would always come on through the speakers within a few seconds, but now like I mentioned it can take seconds or minutes.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks.
I suspect this is due to aging of the timer circuits controlling the relays. These relays are generally timed by LM timer chips. The delays are set by the ratios of a couple of capacitors connected to these ICs. If they change value due to age the timing changes.

If this is the case, service will be required.

However, in all these cases a hard reset, or even two or three should be attempted.

So, write done all your settings so you can go back to them so you can redo your receiver set up easily and quickly after a hard reset. Then do a hard reset. The receiver will return to the original firmware. If a reset of two fails to solve the problem, then the receiver needs service. To update the firmware, update it, but make sure you do it via a wired connection and NOT Wi-Fi.

I do fear your problem is hardware related though, as we have encountered relay timer issues with Yamaha receivers from time to time, especially related to the speaker connection delay relays.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis