Yamaha Announces RX-V2600 Receiver with HDMI Upconversion & Scaling!

T

tritonstudio

Audioholic Intern
RX-V2600 sound so good !

Guys,
Just to add few words, I have it exactly 1 week & I have to say it sound so great to me. The screen set up & features are so easy to operate w/ this receiver. Oh, well, I'm so glad to get it instead of saving few hundred for other older models

D

Dark Fiber

Audiophyte
Just got my Yamaha RX-V2600 today...

Sadly, the Yamaha 2600 and my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR from Time Warner don't appear to work together. I get the "Your TV isn't HDCP compliant so please use the component outputs" message. My cable box worked just fine directly connected to my 60" Sony SXRD HDTV (KDS-R60XBR1) though. (sigh)

T

teloiv

Enthusiast
While it seems apparant that TWC has major problems with HDCP on their boxes, I don't believe this problem is limited to them. I was unable to use the HDMI output of my SA8300 with my Optoma H79 projector due to HDCP errors. TWC balmes Optoma, Optoma blames TWC and SA, and SA says there are sometimes issues between certain devices.

Now enter the 2600. The Yamaha intermitently reports HDCP errors. Its only digital connection is to the Optoma via HDMI with a HDMI to DVI converter on the other end. The only solution is to turn off the projector and turn it back on. Not exactly a good idea. This also further removes any hope of being able to provide a reliable way to turn the system on for the rest of the family.

I can tell you my friend has to cycle his Phillips plasma due to the same issue.

This has to be the most poorly implemented "feature" ever. It's at least right up there with the XCP problem that is causing Sony to recall CDs over. We buy products with the latest and greatest features only to have to resort to 2-generations old technology to make them work. This was one step forward and two steps back.

I couldn't care less about copying digital content. I just want the darn system to function properly and reliably with the best quality. Is there any way to just disable all the HDCP features of these devices? Or, is there any device I can stick in the middle to make this all go away?

T

teloiv

Enthusiast
Upconversion / scaling ?

I have my Nintendo Gamecube running into the 2600. I have the unit set to upconvert this to 1080i. (Or, at least I think I do.) It is being sent to my projector and onto a 16:9 screen.

Can someone tell my why the image I get on the screen does not take up the full screen? It leaves a "ring" around the whole image. I do not have this problem with any other source.

Is this just a result of the composite input? Or is it a setting?

D

Dark Fiber

Audiophyte
teloiv said:
While it seems apparant that TWC has major problems with HDCP on their boxes, I don't believe this problem is limited to them. I was unable to use the HDMI output of my SA8300 with my Optoma H79 projector due to HDCP errors. TWC balmes Optoma, Optoma blames TWC and SA, and SA says there are sometimes issues between certain devices.

Now enter the 2600. The Yamaha intermitently reports HDCP errors. Its only digital connection is to the Optoma via HDMI with a HDMI to DVI converter on the other end. The only solution is to turn off the projector and turn it back on. Not exactly a good idea. This also further removes any hope of being able to provide a reliable way to turn the system on for the rest of the family.

I can tell you my friend has to cycle his Phillips plasma due to the same issue.

This has to be the most poorly implemented "feature" ever. It's at least right up there with the XCP problem that is causing Sony to recall CDs over. We buy products with the latest and greatest features only to have to resort to 2-generations old technology to make them work. This was one step forward and two steps back.

I couldn't care less about copying digital content. I just want the darn system to function properly and reliably with the best quality. Is there any way to just disable all the HDCP features of these devices? Or, is there any device I can stick in the middle to make this all go away?

The post just above yours explains the issue with the Yamaha. It isn't Yamaha's fault. Here is the link..

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=94641&postcount=8

T

teloiv

Enthusiast
You missed my point. My problem is no longer with S/A as I am forced to use component for that. I now have the same problem between Yamaha and Optoma.

In fact, I think the post you direct me to is my point - sort of. This is a "feature" that was rolled out with very poor implementation of or adhearance to a standard. In order to actualy HDMI, we must now wait and hope that TWC will bother to upgrade our boxes. And, in my case, I must also get with Optoma and Yamaha and listen to them undoubtedly blame each other for not properly implementing HDCP.

T

teloiv

Enthusiast
As predicted . . .

Optoma blames Yamaha for the HDCP link issue. They claim Yamaha is the only brand they have seen issues with (other than SA). Imagine that!

Their solutions -

1. Hope Yamaha fixes their problem

2. Buy a Gefen HDMI booster (@ $250) to see if that fixes the problem.

P

pkeel

Audiophyte
Problem with Time Warner cable box & Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver

I am suffering the same problem-- I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver & it will not communicate with my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box issued by Time Warner Cable.

It sounds like the problem is with the cable box. Has anyone communicated with Time Warner or Scientific Atlanta about this problem and (more important) its solution?

Thanks.

K

kraftyjamie

Audiophyte
buyers beware!

i work for a major yamaha retailer. we have comcast cable as our main hd cable source. when you try to hook up a hd cable source through the rxv2600 it will not complete the hand shake neccessary to pass copy protected hd. ( this also occurs in the denon avr5805,4806,3806 as well as the other yamaha rec's with hdmi) please send as many e-mails to these manufacturers as possible. maybe they finally fix this issue. as for waiting for dd+ and dts-hd....i belive that all of the rec's have 7.1 ch inputs.

K

klsfdx

Audiophyte
Newbie HTR 5990

Greetings, I'm new to Audioholics and this forum, but will be spending some time here. Any words on the Yammi HTR5990 with the HDMI upconversion. I was torn for days on which receiver to chose and decided on the 5990 over the Onkyo 803 and Denon 3806. My whole emphasis was to run 1 HDMI cord to the LCD which will be about 25 feet away form the components. 1 speaker wire set to the center channel too, but that's it. If I'm on the wrong thread please direct me to the 5990 thread. Thanks in advance.

R

retomex

Audiophyte
What about multi-zone??

Hello, first post here. I need help deciding on the 2600. I downloaded the manual and in page 96 it becomes most confusing about using it. I plan to use "Zone 2" with video out and pre-amp (line out?) which is no internal amp. Also, I want to use the internal amp for "Zone 3" which are "presence" speakers (back surround) to be left with a 5.1 setting for the main room.

The manual says "Intelligent Power AMP Assign" feature this and that but the notes at the bottom of the page tell "...the speaker system of the main room is limited to 3.1 or 2.1 -channel playback no matter when Zone 2 or Zone 3 is turned off because the SURROUND/ZONE 2(3) speaker terminals are used for the zone connection."

What does this means? My counts are that the 5 speakers and the sub form the main room will be wired to the 2600 as well as the 2 speakers for Zone 3. Will I have 5.1 in the main room or not?

Please help.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
yes, you will have 5.1 in the main room, and virtual cinema DSP in the other zone.

R

retomex

Audiophyte
Badly written manual

Thanks for the info. Anyone has a similar setup? I'd like some advice on setting up the remote infrared receiver; from the manual it seems I only have to connect an infrared receiver but I found two types: mono and stereo 3.5mm connectors. And what about the other zone? Do I need connecting blocks? Xantech?

Thanks again.

P

pmoney

Audiophyte
1600 / 2600 / 4600

I am new to this site and am looking to get some info on which Yamaha receiver to purchase. I can buy the 1600 and the 4600 for the same price of 1200CDN. The 2600 for 1450CDN. I have a 57HX93 Tosh with Mirage speakers for the HT and Wharfedale's running in the basement. Also have a set of outdoor AR speakers. I am looking to upgrade my Denon 1800 and the speaker switch running right now.
I have a built in up scaler in my TV as well in my Samsung DVD and have not noticed much of a difference in picture. So I am not convinced the 2600 is the way to go. Is the scaler going to show me much of a difference and be worth the extra $$$? I have also looked at the Denon 3805 which seems resonable @ 900CDN.
Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

T

tritonstudio

Audioholic Intern
Do you have cable or satellite receiver and want to upscale all your TV channels to 1080 HD now or sometime ? If this is the case then go with the 2600, otherwise the 4600 is the way to go since it's cheaper as your saying.

Last edited:
J

Jimemitchellsr

Audiophyte
RX-V2600 vs HTR5990

Does anyone know the actual differences in these 2 models? Yamaha's website says they have the same amplifiers and are made in the same factory. They have the same hookups and appear to have the same functionality. Thanks in advance.
Jim

C

chas_w

Full Audioholic
I was under the impression that the 5990 is the same as the RX-V1600...not the RX-V2600.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
chas_w said:
I was under the impression that the 5990 is the same as the RX-V1600...not the RX-V2600.
This is correct, the HTR-5990 is almost exactly the same as the RX-V1600

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Now that I have my new HD tv up and running, I no longer get the OSD when I use my dvd player, but I did with the old tv. The only changes made to the DVD settings were turing on the progressive output, should this have any effect on the OSD?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis