Yamaha A3080 adding external Amp

M

Macsalad

Audiophyte
Hello, I currently use Yamaha A3080 for my 7.1.4 setup with Emotiva XPA-3 external amp for LCR speakers. I like the extra power and better sound. Should I get upgrade further to buy Emotiva external amps for my 4 surround (using XPA-3 amp) and 4 atmos speakers (using BasX amps) as well? Will the A3080 be able to handle as a processor? The menu indicates there are pre-outs for all 11 speakers. But the speakers configuration page didn’t show this option. Not sure the A3080is ok from a pre out voltage requirement? thanks in advance for your help.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hello, I currently use Yamaha A3080 for my 7.1.4 setup with Emotiva XPA-3 external amp for LCR speakers. I like the extra power and better sound. Should I get upgrade further to buy Emotiva external amps for my 4 surround (using XPA-3 amp) and 4 atmos speakers (using BasX amps) as well? Will the A3080 be able to handle as a processor? The menu indicates there are pre-outs for all 11 speakers. But the speakers configuration page didn’t show this option. Not sure the A3080is ok from a pre out voltage requirement? thanks in advance for your help.
Normally in a home theater system, surround channels don't require much power, usually less than 20 watts at the most, and you shouldn't need stronger amplification than your AVR can cleanly provide. The only exception would be if you used an all channel stereo feature at very high volumes.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Normally in a home theater system, surround channels don't require much power, usually less than 20 watts at the most, and you shouldn't need stronger amplification than your AVR can cleanly provide. The only exception would be if you used an all channel stereo feature at very high volumes.
Good advice bro, this is why AH is the best audio forum. AH members most all the time won't recommend adding a amp. Especially like what OP has, a flagship AVR already. I've had many amps good as they were they were mostly Overkill. I do miss my monoblocks for music use though. Just cause of the jet black noise floor at high volumes. Nothing wrong with adding a amp or two if one likes. Sometimes one just has to have amps in their setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis