Yamaha A-s801 impedance

• Thread starter Testpoint Jerry
  • Start date
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Why were you annoyed by an AVR that ran hot? It's not bad or good, it's just a characteristic of the piece. It needs to dissipate heat- how it does that is immaterial,. but it needs to happen. That means it needs more space around it or some kind of active cooling. If it performs better than most, it's a good choice; if it performs worse, it's a bad choice. They must have chosen those output transistors for a reason.
I’ve always wanted a Krell amp since moving to Colorado, they have a BTU rating on their amps, it gets cold here.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Why were you annoyed by an AVR that ran hot? It's not bad or good, it's just a characteristic of the piece. It needs to dissipate heat- how it does that is immaterial,. but it needs to happen. That means it needs more space around it or some kind of active cooling. If it performs better than most, it's a good choice; if it performs worse, it's a bad choice. They must have chosen those output transistors for a reason.
At the time, I felt running seven small speakers with 110hz crossovers played at moderate volume did not warrant the kind of heat generated by the receivers. Some may not care much and purchase additional cooling devices but they certainly should not feel compelled to do so because a device seems to run too hot. Running hot or cold can be a good or bad thing. It just depends on the thing that is running.;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
At the time, I felt running seven small speakers with 110hz crossovers played at moderate volume did not warrant the kind of heat generated by the receivers. Some may not care much and purchase additional cooling devices but they certainly should not feel compelled to do so because a device seems to run too hot. Running hot or cold can be a good or bad thing. It just depends on the thing that is running.;)
What speakers were you using at the time?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I read a LOT about hifi and I still don’t understand the MQA issue. I use Tidal but dropped the Masters subscription so it’s moot but I’m still curious what the issue is. I did like the MQA version of some music on Tidal but mostly I didn’t notice anything.

Can you give me a one paragraph answer using small words on the issue of MQA?

Jay-Z sold Tidal so hopefully it stoops trying to tell me what to listen to and comes up with a better algorithm for suggesting music.
I wish he can give a one paragraph answer too, but all I could find are multiple pages, not paragraphs.:D
The Wiki one may be your best bet as it does have a few short under the heading "Criticism", that is not the same as "issues". The second link to a more lengthy one requires patience to read, obviously.

Master Quality Authenticated - Wikipedia
MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions - Reviews - Audiophile Style

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This sort of things will not end, MQA won't be alone, more will come..
Unless audiophiles would wake up one day, and realize it is the quality of recording that matters most stupid..., not so much format, resolutions etc., that are beyond the so called CD quality and that their golden ears are fooled by their human eyes.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
This sort of things will not end, MQA won't be alone, more will come..
Unless audiophiles would wake up one day, and realize it is the quality of recording that matters most stupid..., not so much format, resolutions etc., that are beyond the so called CD quality and that their golden ears are fooled by their human eyes.
That was the paragraph and small words I was looking for. The recording is vastly more important than the compression algorithm used... so long as it’s roughly about CD quality.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not to keep going down the OFF TOPIC road, but I think you can get it down to one word, "proprietary." There are good and bad CD quality recordings and HI-RES remasters. The issue with MQA is that you need to use their two stage process with MQA licensed devices to play those HI-RES recordings without clipping them. Other services offering 24/192 material do not require such a thing as MQA to play them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I read a LOT about hifi and I still don’t understand the MQA issue. I use Tidal but dropped the Masters subscription so it’s moot but I’m still curious what the issue is. I did like the MQA version of some music on Tidal but mostly I didn’t notice anything.

Can you give me a one paragraph answer using small words on the issue of MQA?

Jay-Z sold Tidal so hopefully it stoops trying to tell me what to listen to and comes up with a better algorithm for suggesting music.
Because it's not necessary, a true unmolested file is all you need rather than have to screw around with special subscriptions/gear to play the bloody thing at its best quality. Bandwidth isn't an issue generally so why apply this codec and turn a lossless file into a lossy one? Why support this at all when it's simply not necessary.

That short enuf? :)

Think Jayz traded for a board seat with the new corporate owners.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Because it's not necessary, a true unmolested file is all you need rather than have to screw around with special subscriptions/gear to play the bloody thing at its best quality. Bandwidth isn't an issue generally so why apply this codec and turn a lossless file into a lossy one? Why support this at all when it's simply not necessary.

That short enuf? :)

Think Jayz traded for a board seat with the new corporate owners.
They are too many clever men/women who are so good at making money by creating things that are unnecessary, and/or offer no claimed benefits, yet would be convincing to many. In this case, fortunately money is being made from those who likely can afford it, and does not hurt anyone in a moral sense as the buyers most likely would hear, or see, or imagine the benefits anyway. Not so fortunate, unfortunately (sorry this sound clumsy..) on the political side nowadays, where people are being scammed, legally to contribute all the time..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are too many clever men/women who are so good at making money by creating things that are unnecessary, and/or offer no claimed benefits, yet would be convincing to many. In this case, fortunately money is being made from those who likely can afford it, and does not hurt anyone in a moral sense as the buyers most likely would hear, or see, or imagine the benefits anyway. Not so fortunate, unfortunately (sorry this sound clumsy..) on the political side nowadays, where people are being scammed, legally to contribute all the time..
It was telling that MQA went after the "audiophile" market....easy marks it seems with all the foolish things many buy into.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It was telling that MQA went after the "audiophile" market....easy marks it seems with all the foolish things many buy into.
Yeah some of those must be easier to fool than some of us here on AH.

By the way, after seeing a video on ASR, I keep wondering if there are enough audiophiles who actually believe the great amp designer D'Dagostino's change of heart from believing in objective measurements to subjective measurements (= his ears:D) to design power amps. Tuning by ears is probably a very time consuming process, hence the reason is amps are so expensive now, and has high enough distortions for them to have his designed sound signature. $65,000 for the M400 Monoblock. Still, 0.1% distortion may not be enough for the believers to pass Harmon's DBT test though, even if it is all 2nd harmonics, for argument sake. I think a smell test may be needed first..:D

• Power: 300 watts @ 8Ω / 600 watts @ 4Ω / 1,200 watts @ 2Ω
  • Frequency Response: 1 Hz to 200 kHz, -1 dB 20Hz to 20 kHz, ±0.1 dB
  • Distortion: 300 watts @ 8Ω 0.1% @ 1 kHz
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 105 dB, unweighted
  • Inputs: 1 balanced XLR
  • Input Impedance: 1 M
  • Output Impedance: 0.12
  • Dimensions: 5 x 12.5 x 21 in. (hxwxd)
  • Weight: 95 lbs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just what is great about D'Agostino's designs other than knowing their market? :) Good grief $65k for a bloody amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis